Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart guy in rock appreciation thread.

Hey, you hear a lot about people doing stupid stuff in rock like using drugs, snorting piss, blowing their head clean off and getting ripped off, etc. I'm not saying you can't be a smart person and do some of that stuff. This thread isn't about those. This is about about extremely intelligent people in rock. Some of them are obviously "book" smart, others are just plain smart.

I just read on the Brian May Red Special thread that he had a PhD in Astronomy. I've always heard he is an extremely bright guy. It got me to think about some other guys who have a lot going on upstairs. Here are 8 that come to mind. Please add others. Let's hear it for the smart guys.

Neil Peart -- a very bright guy. He writes thoughtful and deep lyrics. He knows a lot about a lot, and is always reading a big, thick book.

Frank Zappa -- undeniable genius and he knew it and thought everyone was dumb

Huey Lewis -- supposedly got an 800 on his Math SAT. This was when that was really something special, not like today where kids spend their school life preparing for SAT's instead of actually learning. He earned an academic scholoarship to Cornell for Engineering. Not also is he really smart, it's universally reported by groupies that he has the biggest schlong in rock.

Gene and Paul of Kiss. Shear Marketing genius and vision that they had from a very early age.

Tom Scholz

I believe Rivers Cuomo is working on a degree at Harvard in his spare time.

Comment

Doctor Frank of Mister T Experience is sharp as a tack, did a phone interview with him once.

I've read one of them Bad Religion fellers has a Ph.d.

The lead singer for Midnight Oil is an attorney and ran for the Aussie Parliament. Someone or other in the Vandals is an attorney also.

BK
      Visit Crash Pad at:
      http://CrashPadBand.com
      CONSUME!:
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
      Gear List/Pics:
      https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

Jon Kay is fairly bright. Alice Cooper as well. Off the trail but I believe Nicole Kidman is in the very high IQ area.
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
        -For Sale:
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

When I first started reading this thread Gene came to mind but you mentioned him....I'll go with my namesake...He's done quite well too...
          While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

"Music doesn't need to be great to be good...."

"You can't steal,what you can't feel"....Tom Petty

HCGB # 73

........__o
          ....._

Comment

I heard Yngiwe is jewish, so that's like a 20 point IQ boost

d.
            Originally Posted by The Doors

This is the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Long

Frank Zappa -- undeniable genius and he knew it and thought everyone was dumb

Man,I love that....
              While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

HCGB # 73

........__o
              ....._

Comment

Jack White ain't no dummy.

Comment

they're not really smart.

they don't wear glasses.
                  "Ohmygod, don't give phunkyfred2 a harp guiter---" ~ Danocoustic

Loyal Bucketbot
                  Commander of the HCGJ division

Toneport Mafia.
                  http://www.myspace.com/phunkyphred
                  http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=phunkyphred

i'm not wearing pants.

Comment

Originally posted by tlbonehead
                    Jon Kay is fairly bright. Alice Cooper as well. Off the trail but I believe Nicole Kidman is in the very high IQ area.

Mira Sorvino is brilliant.
                    I make the fire but I miss the firefight.

METALMILITIA

All that stuff is evil: Ozzy, Judas Priest. There's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the Beast.

Comment

Jeff Skunk Baxter
                      It's not about money or popularity , although some money would be nice.

Comment

I'll disagree with Peart. I think his lyrics suck. Reading a lot doesn't make you smart either.

Richie Edwards (now deceased) from the Manic Street Preachers -- in addition to being a brilliant lyric writer -- is said have once composed over a 900 page dissertation on William Shakespeare in about a month or something.

Comment

If you're going at it from an education point of view, John Deacon and Roger Taylor of Queen didn't do too bad either, Brian May was not the only clever one

If memory serves Deacon got a masters degree in Electronics from one of the best universities

and Taylor got one in Physics i think, from the same university as May and Deacon

They were all a fairly bright bunch

Probably explains May's 21 pick-up switching combination guitar and Deacon's "Deacy" amp that he made for may by molesting a vox
                          Member of the SG Army

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSchreimann
                            I'll disagree with Peart. I think his lyrics suck.
                            You may disagree but you blow my mind with that comment...Peart is an amazing writer as far as I'm concerned...He writes like no other as far as I'm concerned...hang low...

HCGB # 73

........__o
                            ....._

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrahighgain

Mira Sorvino is brilliant.

and beautiful.

"Ohmygod, don't give phunkyfred2 a harp guiter---" ~ Danocoustic

Loyal Bucketbot
                              Commander of the HCGJ division

Toneport Mafia.
                              http://www.myspace.com/phunkyphred
                              http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=phunkyphred

i'm not wearing pants.

Comment

Working...
                              X