Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressions: 100 Years of Jazz Guitar

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Progressions: 100 Years of Jazz Guitar

    was in best buy earlier and saw this box set. couldn't help myself. 4 cds, and a pretty thick libretto. spans back to 1906 but then jumps forward 20 years. here's the track list:

    DISC 1:
    1. St. Louis Tickle - Vess Ossman
    2. Chain Gang Blues - Sam Moore
    3. Savoy Blues - Johnny St. Clair/Lonnie Johnson
    4. You're The One For Me - Sol Hoopii
    5. Add A Little Wiggle - Eddie Lang
    6. Clowin' The Frets - Eddie Bush
    7. California Blues - King Benny Nawahi's Red Devils
    8. How'nt I Doin' / Dinah - Roy Smeck
    9. Who's Sorry Now - Eddie Condon
    10. Danzan - Carl Kress & Dick McDonough
    11. China Boy - Otto "Coco" Heimal
    12. Minnahaha - Sam Koki
    13. Swingin' On The Strings - The Ink Spots
    14. Honeysuckle Rose - Django Reinhardt
    15. Guitar Swing - Casey Bill Weldon
    16. Love Me Or Leave Me - Eddie Durham/Freddie Green
    17. Whispering - Oscar Aleman
    18. Pickin' For Patsy - Allan Reuss
    19. Little Rock Getaway - George Barnes
    20. Solo Flight - Charlie Christian
    21. Buck Jumpin' - Al Casey
    22. Twin Guitar Special - Leon McAuliffe/Eldon Shamblin
    23. I'm Walkin' This Town - Teddy Bunn
    24. Palm Springs Jump - Slim Gaillard
    25. Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You - Oscar Moore
    26. Red Cross - Tiny Grimes
    DISC 2:
    1. Ol' Man Rebop - Bill De Arango
    2. On Green Dolphin Street - Barney Kessel
    3. What Is This Thing Called Love - George Van Eps
    4. Body And Soul - Jimmy Raney
    5. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Chuck Wayne
    6. Runnin' Wild - Les Paul
    7. Mountain Melody - Les Paul
    8. Yardbird Suite - Tal Farlow
    9. Boy Nest Door, The - Johnny Smith
    10. Tocata - Laurindo Almeida
    11. I've Got You Under My Skin - Jim Hall
    12. Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) - Joao Gilberto
    13. Bluesette - Toots Thielemans
    14. Midnight Blue - Kenny Burrell
    15. Unit 7 - Wes Montgomery
    16. Naptown Blues - Herb Ellis
    17. Move - Hank Garland
    18. Easy Living - Howard Roberts
    19. Jean De Fleur - Grant Green
    20. Night And Day - Joe Pass
    DISC 3:
    1. Clockwise - George Benson
    2. Just Friends - Pat Martino
    3. Taste Of Honey, A - Lenny Breau
    4. How Insensitive - Charlie Byrd
    5. Gypsy Queen - Gabor Szabo
    6. June 15, 1967 - Larry Coryell
    7. As We Used To Sing - Sonny Sharrock
    8. Should Be Reversed - Derek Bailey
    9. Manic Depression - Jimi Hendrix
    10. Birds Of Fire - John McLaughlin
    11. Coral - Mick Goodrick
    12. Ralph's Piano Waltz - John Abercrombie
    13. Prowler, The - Ralph Towner
    14. Bright Size Life - Pat Metheny
    15. Aqui, Oh - Toninho Horta
    16. Midnight In San Juan - Earl Klugh
    DISC 4:
    1. Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile) - Carlos Santana
    2. Inner City Blues - Phil Upchurch
    3. Thumper - Eric Gale
    4. Spiral - Larry Carlton
    5. Captain Fingers - Lee Ritenour
    6. Mr. Spock - Allan Holdsworth
    7. Race With The Devil On Spanish Highway - Al DiMeola
    8. Cause We've Ended As Lovers - Jeff Beck
    9. Church - James Blood Ulmer
    10. Ron Carter - Bill Frisell
    11. Hottentot - John Scofield
    12. Postize - Marc Ribot
    13. Fat Time - Mike Stern
    The Common Sense Mets Fan

    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

  • #2
    Good call.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have this one, from Sony.


      It's only two discs.


      ......The army offers rewarding skills.






      Originally posted by Terje
      All of you need a good coffee enema, that's for sure.








      Originally posted by NPG Asking guitar buyers for financial advice is like asking a vegetarian what kind of steakhouse they go to.





      myspace.com/nelsandersen

      Comment


      • #4
        this one is from Columbia/Legacy, which is a Sony company. though apparently, they can't count. 1906 to 2001 is only 95 years.
        The Common Sense Mets Fan

        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!
          this one is from Columbia/Legacy, which is a Sony company. though apparently, they can't count. 1906 to 2001 is only 95 years.


          I'll have to get that one! All of my favorite players are on it!
          The tunes that they have chosen to represent each player on your CD was done well.


          ......The army offers rewarding skills.






          Originally posted by Terje
          All of you need a good coffee enema, that's for sure.








          Originally posted by NPG Asking guitar buyers for financial advice is like asking a vegetarian what kind of steakhouse they go to.





          myspace.com/nelsandersen

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by F-holes


            I'll have to get that one! All of my favorite players are on it!
            The tunes that they have chosen to represent each player on your CD was done well.




            after i get through this, i'm going to get "Hittin' on all Six" on Proper Records:

            DISC 1: THE EARLY MASTERS:
            1. Steppin' On The Blues - Lonnie Johnson
            2. Wild Cat - Eddie Lang
            3. For No Reason At All In C - Eddie Lang
            4. Doin' Things - Eddie Lang
            5. Savoy Blues
            6. Mooche, The - Lonnie Johnson
            7. Have To Change Keys (To Play These Blues) - Lonnie Johnson/Eddie Lang
            8. Guitar Blues - Lonnie Johnson/Eddie Lang
            9. I've Got The World On A String - Teddy Bum
            10. I'll Be Ready When The Great Day Comes - Teddy Bunn
            11. Summertime - Teddy Bunn
            12. Blues Without Words - Teddy Bunn
            13. Lonesome Moments - John Trueheart
            14. Somebody Loves Me - George Van Eps
            15. At Sundown - George Van Eps
            16. Dick Bernstein Ramble - Dick McDonough
            17. Heat Wave - Carl Kress/Dick McDonough
            18. Swingin' At That Famous Door - Carmen Mastren
            19. If I Could Be With You - Carmen Mastren
            20. Nagasaki - Django Reinhardt
            21. You're Driving Me Crazy - Django Reinhardt
            22. Finesse (Night Wind) - Django Reinhardt
            23. Nuages - Django Reinhardt
            24. Manoir De Mes Reves - Django Reinhardt
            25. For Sentimental Reasons - Django Reinhardt
            DISC 2: THE CHARLIE CHRISTIAN REVOLUTION:
            1. Hittin' The Bottle - Eddie Durham
            2. I Want A Little Girl - Eddie Durham
            3. Alabamy Home - Bernard Addison
            4. Blues In Disguise - Bernard Addison
            5. Topsy - Freddie Green
            6. Them There Eyes - Freddie Green
            7. Gin, Gin - Le Trio Ferret
            8. Floyd's Guitar Blues - Floyd Smith
            9. Jeepers Creepers - Oscar Aleman
            10. I Got Rhythm - Oscar Aleman
            11. Buck Jumpin' - Al Casey
            12. Esquire Bounce - Al Casey
            13. That's All - Sister Rosetta Tharpe
            14. Swing 42 - Jean "Matlo" Ferret
            15. Till Tom Special - Charlie Christian
            16. Wholly Cats - Charlie Christian
            17. Profoundly Blue - Charlie Christian
            18. Solo Flight - Charlie Christian
            19. Waiting For Benny - Charlie Christian
            20. Swing To Bop - Charlie Christian
            21. Rockin' With The Rockets - Efferge Ware
            22. Blue Juice - Bus Etri
            DISC 3: CHARLIE'S CHILDREN:
            1. Reflections - Bus Etri
            2. Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You - Oscar Moore
            3. Body And Soul - Oscar Moore
            4. Lament In Chords - Oscar Moore
            5. Altitude - Irving Ashby
            6. Spinx, The - Irving Ashby
            7. Top Hat Bop - Irving Ashby
            8. Nobody In Mind - Leonard Ware
            9. Body And Soul - Tiny Grimes
            10. Blue Harlem - Tiny Grimes
            11. Hot In Harlem - Tiny Grimes
            12. Bugle Call Rag - Les Paul
            13. Moten Swing - Les Paul
            14. Willie Weep For Me - Les Paul
            15. Tempo's Boogie - Billy Mackel
            16. Impromptu Ensemble No. 1 - Eddie Condon
            17. Cajun Love Song - Nappy Lamare
            18. Blood On The Moon - Danny Barker
            19. Blues A La Red - Remo Palmieri
            20. Stompin' At The Savoy - Remo Palmieri
            21. Stardust - Jimmny Shirley
            22. What Is There To Say - Allan Reuss
            23. Moon Is Low, The - Allan Reuss
            DISC 4: NEW GUITAR CONCEPTS:
            1. I Saw Stars - Dave Barbour
            2. China Boy - Dave Barbour
            3. Blue Lou - George Barnes
            4. Lover Come Back To Me - George Barnes
            5. Grabtown Grapple, The - Barney Kessel
            6. Relaxin' At Camarillo - Barney Kessel
            7. Tight And Gay - Arvin Garrison
            8. Night In Tunasia - Arvin Garrison
            9. Minuet In Vout - Slim Gaillard
            10. Doctor Keets - Bill De Arango
            11. Spotlite - Mary Osborne
            12. Allen's Alley - Mary Osborne
            13. Blue Serge - Churck Wayne
            14. Conception - Churck Wayne
            15. Donna Lee - Barry Galbraith
            16. Lament (Lament For Guitar) - Laurindo Almeida
            17. Shirley Steps Out - Al Hendrickson
            18. All The Things You Are - Herb Ellis
            19. Swedish Pastry - Herb Ellis
            20. Subconcious-Lee - Billy Bauer
            21. Wow - Billy Bauer
            22. John's Delight - The John Collins Band
            23. In A Pinch - Jimmy Raney
            24. Extrovert - Jimmy Raney
            The Common Sense Mets Fan

            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!
              apparently, they can't count. 1906 to 2001 is only 95 years.


              Well, to be fair, Frisell, Ribot, and Scofield are pretty much at the top of their careers going into 2006... they're every bit as representative of 'now' as anyone else could hope to be.

              That said, it'd have been nice if they'd thrown on a track by a younger guitarist like Kurt Rosenwinkel, Ben Monder, David Fiuczynski, Marc Ducret, or Joel Harrison...

              Just to give things a little more symmetry.

              I haven't picked the set up yet (I stop buying records about a month before Christmas), but if I don't find it under the tree tomorrow, I'll definitely remedy that in the new year.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!
                was in best buy earlier and saw this box set. couldn't help myself. 4 cds, and a pretty thick libretto. spans back to 1906 but then jumps forward 20 years. here's the track list:

                DISC 1:
                1. St. Louis Tickle - Vess Ossman
                2. Chain Gang Blues - Sam Moore
                3. Savoy Blues - Johnny St. Clair/Lonnie Johnson
                4. You're The One For Me - Sol Hoopii
                5. Add A Little Wiggle - Eddie Lang
                6. Clowin' The Frets - Eddie Bush
                7. California Blues - King Benny Nawahi's Red Devils
                8. How'nt I Doin' / Dinah - Roy Smeck
                9. Who's Sorry Now - Eddie Condon
                10. Danzan - Carl Kress & Dick McDonough
                11. China Boy - Otto "Coco" Heimal
                12. Minnahaha - Sam Koki
                13. Swingin' On The Strings - The Ink Spots
                14. Honeysuckle Rose - Django Reinhardt
                15. Guitar Swing - Casey Bill Weldon
                16. Love Me Or Leave Me - Eddie Durham/Freddie Green
                17. Whispering - Oscar Aleman
                18. Pickin' For Patsy - Allan Reuss
                19. Little Rock Getaway - George Barnes
                20. Solo Flight - Charlie Christian
                21. Buck Jumpin' - Al Casey
                22. Twin Guitar Special - Leon McAuliffe/Eldon Shamblin
                23. I'm Walkin' This Town - Teddy Bunn
                24. Palm Springs Jump - Slim Gaillard
                25. Gee Baby Ain't I Good To You - Oscar Moore
                26. Red Cross - Tiny Grimes
                DISC 2:
                1. Ol' Man Rebop - Bill De Arango
                2. On Green Dolphin Street - Barney Kessel
                3. What Is This Thing Called Love - George Van Eps
                4. Body And Soul - Jimmy Raney
                5. My Baby Just Cares For Me - Chuck Wayne
                6. Runnin' Wild - Les Paul
                7. Mountain Melody - Les Paul
                8. Yardbird Suite - Tal Farlow
                9. Boy Nest Door, The - Johnny Smith
                10. Tocata - Laurindo Almeida
                11. I've Got You Under My Skin - Jim Hall
                12. Aguas De Marco (Waters Of March) - Joao Gilberto
                13. Bluesette - Toots Thielemans
                14. Midnight Blue - Kenny Burrell
                15. Unit 7 - Wes Montgomery
                16. Naptown Blues - Herb Ellis
                17. Move - Hank Garland
                18. Easy Living - Howard Roberts
                19. Jean De Fleur - Grant Green
                20. Night And Day - Joe Pass
                DISC 3:
                1. Clockwise - George Benson
                2. Just Friends - Pat Martino
                3. Taste Of Honey, A - Lenny Breau
                4. How Insensitive - Charlie Byrd
                5. Gypsy Queen - Gabor Szabo
                6. June 15, 1967 - Larry Coryell
                7. As We Used To Sing - Sonny Sharrock
                8. Should Be Reversed - Derek Bailey
                9. Manic Depression - Jimi Hendrix
                10. Birds Of Fire - John McLaughlin
                11. Coral - Mick Goodrick
                12. Ralph's Piano Waltz - John Abercrombie
                13. Prowler, The - Ralph Towner
                14. Bright Size Life - Pat Metheny
                15. Aqui, Oh - Toninho Horta
                16. Midnight In San Juan - Earl Klugh
                DISC 4:
                1. Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile) - Carlos Santana
                2. Inner City Blues - Phil Upchurch
                3. Thumper - Eric Gale
                4. Spiral - Larry Carlton
                5. Captain Fingers - Lee Ritenour
                6. Mr. Spock - Allan Holdsworth
                7. Race With The Devil On Spanish Highway - Al DiMeola
                8. Cause We've Ended As Lovers - Jeff Beck
                9. Church - James Blood Ulmer
                10. Ron Carter - Bill Frisell
                11. Hottentot - John Scofield
                12. Postize - Marc Ribot
                13. Fat Time - Mike Stern
                Got that for Christmas today along with the 10 DVD Ken Burns Jazz documentary and 4 CD Ken Burns Jazz set. Good Christmas man.



                -wp
                Originally posted by WulfmanJax:
                ****************************s will be ****************************s. And even be assholier to others who point their assholiness out.

                http://www.myspace.com/wespowell1

                Download the tunes

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!


                  after i get through this, i'm going to get "Hittin' on all Six" on Proper Records:


                  I've got that one. It's a good collection, also.

                  This is a nice collection, too. Each disc in the series focuses on a specific instrument.
                  http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.aspx?ob=prd&src=list&pid=9663


                  1. Moten Swing
                  2. Conception
                  3. Interlude
                  4. Patti Cake
                  5. Heat Wave
                  6. Nobody Else But Me
                  7. You Came Along (From Out Of Nowhere)
                  8. Tear It Down
                  9. Downstairs
                  10. Li'l Darling
                  11. Samba Triste
                  12. Song For My Father
                  13. O Pato
                  14. Extrapolation
                  15. Blues For Django And Stephane
                  16. Up Up And Away
                  17. Cantaloupe Woman




                  ......The army offers rewarding skills.






                  Originally posted by Terje
                  All of you need a good coffee enema, that's for sure.








                  Originally posted by NPG Asking guitar buyers for financial advice is like asking a vegetarian what kind of steakhouse they go to.





                  myspace.com/nelsandersen

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by F-holes


                    I've got that one. It's a good collection, also.


                    its odd, but i'm not really one for collections. usually, i just go buy the original album by the artist instead of greatest hits collections or these type of VA collections. but i know i've been limiting myself to non-guitar based jazz, and most of the jazz i do listen to is either Miles or somebody he played with. if i were to take all of the jazz out of my collection and give it its own section, it would look like the 6 degrees of miles davis. so hopefully now i'll come at it from a different angle.
                    The Common Sense Mets Fan

                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!
                      if i were to take all of the jazz out of my collection and give it its own section, it would look like the 6 degrees of miles davis.


                      It's rare that you'll find an artist more than 6 degrees from Miles Davis... anyone that's played with anyone in the jazz world, really.

                      David Grisman -> Martin Taylor -> Stephane Grappelli -> Django -> Coleman Hawkins -> Thelonious Monk -> Miles Davis -> Bill Evans -> Paul Motian -> Bill Frisell -> Jerry Douglas -> Mike Marshall -> David Grisman

                      There are at least 4 people in my family that would fit the '6 degrees' criteria.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Manic Depression is jazz?


                        They shoulda picked Rainy Day, Dream Away

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by The Sultan
                          Manic Depression is jazz?





                          is it?
                          "Ohmygod, don't give phunkyfred2 a harp guiter---" ~ Danocoustic

                          Loyal Bucketbot
                          Commander of the HCGJ division

                          Toneport Mafia.
                          http://www.myspace.com/phunkyphred
                          http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=phunkyphred

                          i'm not wearing pants.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by The Sultan
                            Manic Depression is jazz?



                            It's really a waltz!



                            ......The army offers rewarding skills.






                            Originally posted by Terje
                            All of you need a good coffee enema, that's for sure.








                            Originally posted by NPG Asking guitar buyers for financial advice is like asking a vegetarian what kind of steakhouse they go to.





                            myspace.com/nelsandersen

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              it's a shame that Rene Thomas never gets included in those sorta things.

                              cool that Derek Bailey was included, though. i'm sure his placement annoyed a lot of trad fans.

                              Comment



                              Working...
                              X