Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Mountain bikers - need advice for buying bike for wife!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tag
    Thanks for all the input guys...

As far as a road-bike or hybrid - we live out in the boonies, so this thing will almost never be ridden on pavement. Always trails. So full-on MOUNTAIN BIKE it will be.

Now it's just a matter of finding the right shop I suppose. Slightly OT, but I was in Walmart the other day, and they had MONGOOSE bikes there! I couldn't believe it. Mongoose was a pretty respected name when I was into BMX in my youth. (5 years ago. ) Seems like they sold out to the man?

Yes, Mongoose was a respected name back-in-the-day...even though I rode a GT Pro Performer , 'goose did make a very competitive bike.
    Even a couple years ago, the Mongoose MTB was not bad. I had a DX5.3 as my intermediate bike (now I ride a 2000 Schwinn Moab 3, the last of the American-made Schwinn's) but a couple years ago Mongoose, along with many other big-name bike makers) shifted their focus from semi-pro and intermediate riders to the beginner and entry-level rider with a price point aimed at Wal-Mart, Toys-R-us, K-Mart, etc...really, really sad.

From my perspective, Trek, Giant and Specialized are the few brands I would look at for an entry-level/mid-level bike.
    The framesets are usually good on most every low-end bike but the cheapness shows up in the shifters and derailleurs. Poor shifting can take what could be a great riding experience and turn it into hell.
    That said, make sure the bike you choose has a decent shifter set (Shimano Deore and Truvativ are not bad for the money, imho) and know that you can always upgrade to DX or LX components (or whatever else is hot thesedays).

Best of luck in your search.
    My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by gtrdave

Yes, Mongoose was a respected name back-in-the-day...even though I rode a GT Pro Performer , 'goose did make a very competitive bike.

Heh, right on - I had a GT Interceptor. I don't know what GT is up to these days, but they used to make a mean bike.
      Good Deal Mojo: marder explorer, gregovertone, natasmi, killthelights, FeistyPirahnas, tolstoy, emmerwood, Terry Allan Hall, GW348, kccheers

Comment

Originally posted by Tag
        Thanks for all the input guys...

As far as a road-bike or hybrid - we live out in the boonies, so this thing will almost never be ridden on pavement. Always trails. So full-on MOUNTAIN BIKE it will be.

Now it's just a matter of finding the right shop I suppose. Slightly OT, but I was in Walmart the other day, and they had MONGOOSE bikes there! I couldn't believe it. Mongoose was a pretty respected name when I was into BMX in my youth. (5 years ago. ) Seems like they sold out to the man?
        Don't buy a bike from any big box store. They may look nice but they are NOT the same as one from a real bike shop. Mongoose used to build good bikes until they got bought out and started selling them at wal-mart. Look at a pre walmart schwinn compaired to the what they sell at walmart now. Its not even the same bike. Its too bad it says Schwinn on it. Same goes for GT. You'll also get better service for people who know what they're talking about.

Comment

Mongoose isn't Mongoose anymore.

The original owners sold the company to a
          large bowling equipment consortium and they
          sold it again. I know from experience - the
          stuff you see in department stores are
          garbage. Don't do it. Same with the
          department store Schwinns. I'll say now
          that one of the parts on my high end mtb
          costs more than the damn department
          store bikes.

Plan on spending $600-700 if you want it
          to be something she will enjoy for more than
          a season. This is something you can do
          together if you ride also!

I know you want it to be a surprise but your
          best advice is to take your wife to a bike shop
          (ask around in your area to find out what shops
          get the best reputation) and have her fit for
          a bike - women especially need seats that don't
          hurt parts that don't like to hurt.

My wife looked for AGES to find a comfortable seat and once she got one it was no problems but for a while saying "bike" would make her flinch.

Do what my wife did for me, get in the car,
          start driving around and pull up to the shop
          and go "surprise - you're getting your bike
          today!" Have her shop around a bit. It's
          hard to resist the excitement but have her
          try a few out and see what she likes.

I started out on a hardtail with no suspension
          (the Mongoose) then went to a high end dual
          suspension bike.

My recommendation is to look at some of
          the Trek bikes because they have
          womens' specific sizing and seats too
          so that's a big plus since women tend
          to be smaller and even small mens
          frames tend to be a bit large for some
          of them.

Good luck!

(owner of four bikes, yes, it's an addiction almost as bad as music gear)

(here's my bike website: http://pod.ath.cx/bikedecide/bikedecide.html)

Comment

Bottom line....Buy from a bike shop....If you wanna surprise her then take her out for dinner and on your way home turn in to the parking lot of a bike shop and get her fitted.Let her,with help from you,and someone who's qualified pick it out.....Bikes are like guitars in a way...

Edit...I just read what the dude above me said and he is bang on...
            While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

"Music doesn't need to be great to be good...."

"You can't steal,what you can't feel"....Tom Petty

HCGB # 73

........__o
            ....._

Comment

Thanks to all of you guys for the great advice...went down to the bike shop and checked out a few different models. Ended up ordering one of these:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1033603&f=19

It was a little out of the price range, but the disc brakes, better gearing/components, and the sharp color (black/chrome with pink trim) won me over. She is going to love it.
              Good Deal Mojo: marder explorer, gregovertone, natasmi, killthelights, FeistyPirahnas, tolstoy, emmerwood, Terry Allan Hall, GW348, kccheers

Comment

You realize she's going to go bananas when you
                give it to her?

Heh. Give us a full report!

Comment

Originally posted by Tag
                  Thanks to all of you guys for the great advice...went down to the bike shop and checked out a few different models. Ended up ordering one of these:

It was a little out of the price range, but the disc brakes, better gearing/components, and the sharp color (black/chrome with pink trim) won me over. She is going to love it.
                  Trek make nice bikes....Here's a good bike site that I frequent....

http://www.bikeforums.net/
                  While we're at it,let me say that you could fill two busses with the girls that I hit between 1982-1990...

HCGB # 73

........__o
                  ....._

Comment

Originally posted by tompetty
                    Trek make nice bikes....Here's a good bike site that I frequent....

http://www.bikeforums.net/

www.cyclingforums.com isnt bad either.
                    HCGJ Peloton Member- Leading the pack (sometimes)

Originally posted by IKE
                    Beer, it's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by cucamelsmd15

www.cyclingforums.com isnt bad either.

Thanks for that....bookmarked...

HCGB # 73

........__o
                      ....._

Comment

Fine choice. You won't regret it. In real life, nice, solid, mechanical disk brakes are more important than full suspension.

Why? Because all but the really hard core tend to ride on fire trails and dirt roads more than single-track. The discs are a real confidence builder on the steeps. The FS bikes are heavier than hard-tails, but more importantly, their "give" makes pedaling more inefficient.

Comment

You really can't go wrong with most of the stuff from a reputable bike shop...you can really get a lot more bike for the money these days then you used to. My first "real" mountain bike was one of the lower-end Treks, I loved that bike and rode the crap out of it, till someone jumped a 9 foot brick wall, cut my huge cable-lock, and stole it...

I scored a severely souped-up cannondale F1000 for $400 used to replace it a few years back. That was a steal...cannondale makes some of the best bikes around IMO, although they're pricey. I rode the crap out of that thing too until I moved to the city. Now it's sitting in a back room disassembled, poor thing.
                          A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.

--Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by dammithoney
                            Fine choice. You won't regret it. In real life, nice, solid, mechanical disk brakes are more important than full suspension.

Why? Because all but the really hard core tend to ride on fire trails and dirt roads more than single-track. The discs are a real confidence builder on the steeps. The FS bikes are heavier than hard-tails, but more importantly, their "give" makes pedaling more inefficient.

Not so much anymore with the advent of bikes
                            like Specialized's "Epic" which has no give at
                            all - there is no pedal induced bob at all.

But yeah, a couple of pounds can really make a
                            difference. Also, some FS bikes put most of
                            their money into the suspension so you end
                            up with a heavy LX cassette and derailleur
                            instead of an XT or XTR (lighter, pricier
                            components).

Comment

here's the one i have....and i love it....mine is a couple years old now.....and no problems....and the price has held at $499 for about 3 years now..........

its a schwinn mesa gsd
                              "If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
                              I woulda wrote a better song "
                              member Mazi Bee Militia
                              Talk Box Brigade
                              Gretsch Guards
                              Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

Wish I had seen this thread before you made yourpurchase. I would recommend a Specialized Stump Jumper. My wife had a Giant when we met and she has commandeered my Spec and just loves it. Since I do 99% of my riding on-road (I do a lot of racing) she has just taken over the Spec. Cost a little bit more than what you had in mind, but I think its worth every penny.

Make sure you get the necessary accessories...good helmet (not a Bell), gloves with palm padding and a terricloth thumb, decent shoes, a bike computer for speed and distance...hope she has fun with it. Cycling is a great sport and requires more physical fitness than most people realize.
                                Lawboy's music Give me a listen, I won't bite!

Comment

Working...
                                X