Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Mountain bikers - need advice for buying bike for wife!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Mountain bikers - need advice for buying bike for wife!

I'm looking to surprise my wife with a pretty nice mountain bike, she has wanted one for a while. I'm looking to spend $500-600 or roundabouts there, and so far I've been looking at the women's bikes from Trek and Specialized....anything else I should be looking at?

Also, will I be able to go into a bike shop and tell them my wife's height and get the right size? I want it to be a surprise, so I'd like to get it before she knows...

Thanks a million!
    Good Deal Mojo: marder explorer, gregovertone, natasmi, killthelights, FeistyPirahnas, tolstoy, emmerwood, Terry Allan Hall, GW348, kccheers

Go here to get the most bang for your buck. No sh*t.

I would seriously consider this.

It's $499...Try and find a better spec at that pric point....I dare ya.
    LIVESTRONGwww.bandmix.com/kevman/Hey what happened? I had 5000+ posts here.

Comment

I bought my wife a Giant hardtail a couple years ago.
      Giant is not a bad brand and they give you some bang for the buck.
      My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

You cant go wrong with anything from Ritchey, Giant, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, trek, Gary Fisher, Kona, etc. Just go to a decent bike shop and see what they have. Stay away from full suspension in that price range IMO, ie, stick with a suspension fork only.

I bought my (now ex) wife a Giant a few years ago and it was a great bike for $600. I ride a Gary Fisher myself (but its a $3000 bike) but they have some nice entry level bikes in your price range too.

AJC
        Andrew J. Coholic

Wanna see some cool builds?
        http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1513446&page=3
        scroll to post #57...

Comment

Stay away from the full suspension, and you should be set. I would echo the Giant or Specialized route myself.
          HCGJ Peloton Member- Leading the pack (sometimes)

Originally posted by IKE
          Beer, it's whats for dinner.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the informative replies so far. I was planning on front-suspension only, because full is probably overkill for her anyways. We will be riding some local trails, but nothing involving 6 foot drops or anything.

Is it possible that I can go to a shop and tell them her height, and get the right size? Of course, after I give it to her, we can go back and size the seat/handlebars/etc...
            Good Deal Mojo: marder explorer, gregovertone, natasmi, killthelights, FeistyPirahnas, tolstoy, emmerwood, Terry Allan Hall, GW348, kccheers

Comment

Yes, a good bike shop can will help you get the right size for her. Tell them her height and they should be able to get the right frame size.

Comment

Originally posted by laker2
                Yes, a good bike shop can will help you get the right size for her. Tell them her height and they should be able to get the right frame size.

Sweet. Ok, if you guys were choosing between these two, what would the choice be:

Info:

Frame
                Alpha SL Aluminum

Front Suspension
                RockShox Judy J1 w/preload, light spring, 80mm

Wheels
                Alloy front, Shimano RM60 rear hub; Bontrager Camino rims

Crank
                Shimano MC09 42/32/22

Rear Derailleur
                Shimano Deore

OR:

Info:

# Women

Comment

Originally posted by gtrdave
                  I bought my wife a Giant hardtail a couple years ago.
                  Giant is not a bad brand and they give you some bang for the buck.

+1

I have two Giant bikes...Iguana Disc (mountain bike) and OCR2 (street bike).

Giant gives more value than other brands I've seen. I'm really pleased with both of my bikes.

Whatever you do, go to a dedicated bike shop...not a generic sports store like Sport Chalet.
                  "Do or do not -- there is no 'Try' " - Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Tag

Sweet. Ok, if you guys were choosing between these two, what would the choice be:

Info:

Frame
                    Alpha SL Aluminum

Front Suspension
                    RockShox Judy J1 w/preload, light spring, 80mm

Wheels
                    Alloy front, Shimano RM60 rear hub; Bontrager Camino rims

Crank
                    Shimano MC09 42/32/22

Rear Derailleur
                    Shimano Deore

OR:

Info:

# Women

Comment

I have a trek 4300 that is very similar to that one there (obviously it's a guys one though ) and it's a fantastic bike - feels solid and is well specced. Will last an age and looks cool, I'd recommend any Trek.
                      Warm Pony Loaf's official wallpaper brother.

Comment

Bang for the buck you can't go wrong with Giant. Of the two you showed I like the Trek. Of course I live 15 miles from the factory. Even though that model is made in Taiwan.

I think you need to consider where she will ride though. Will she ever be off-road? I mean on a real mountain bike trail. If alot of the riding will be on a city bike path or rails-to-trails paths then I would consider what they call a multi-trek bike.Trek has one in womens specific called the 7.6 FX WSD. Links at the bottom. Something with 700c tires and a more road oriented frame. They still come with a front suspension and suspension seatpost but will be more practical for that style of riding. I realize the Mountain bike has the cool factor, I thought the same way, rode my full-suspension everywhere, till i got my first cheap road bike. I realize why it's called a road bike now. Now my road bike is worth more than my mountain bike. Making a Camagnolo upgrade this spring, Full Chorus.

Actually both bikes are worth more than my car. YES, I have my priorities staight.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1343003&f=26
                        Member - Epiphone Empire

Gear-
                        Hamer Explorer
                        89 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
                        Dillion DR-500t
                        Ibanez SR-300 Bass
                        Walden Acoustic

Mesa-Boogie DC-5 Head
                        Mesa-Boogie 2x12 Vertical Recto Cab
                        Digitech RP1000

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys...

As far as a road-bike or hybrid - we live out in the boonies, so this thing will almost never be ridden on pavement. Always trails. So full-on MOUNTAIN BIKE it will be.

Now it's just a matter of finding the right shop I suppose. Slightly OT, but I was in Walmart the other day, and they had MONGOOSE bikes there! I couldn't believe it. Mongoose was a pretty respected name when I was into BMX in my youth. (5 years ago. ) Seems like they sold out to the man?

Comment

Originally posted by Tag
                            Thanks for all the input guys...

As far as a road-bike or hybrid - we live out in the boonies, so this thing will almost never be ridden on pavement. Always trails. So full-on MOUNTAIN BIKE it will be.

Now it's just a matter of finding the right shop I suppose. Slightly OT, but I was in Walmart the other day, and they had MONGOOSE bikes there! I couldn't believe it. Mongoose was a pretty respected name when I was into BMX in my youth. (5 years ago. ) Seems like they sold out to the man?

They were bought by Pacific Cycle. The stuff you see in Wal Mart is absolute garbage.

I have a Mongoose Wing Pro from back when they were actually Mongoose, and it rocks. Their quality went severely downhill after being bought.
                            HCGJ Peloton Member- Leading the pack (sometimes)

Originally posted by IKE
                            Beer, it's whats for dinner.

Comment

Another tip, you might want to check into upgrading the saddle. A nice, comfortable, designed-for-women saddle will greatly increase her comfort and allow her to ride longer. A suspension seatpost might be a nice add as well.
                              SPAM! - Agile 3000 CSB with US pots/switch/jack, new bone nut & pro setup - $330 in the SPAM thread.

"When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my Grandfather did. Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in his car." -Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Comment

• Working...
                                X