No announcement yet.

electronic engineering ,music school or both? , need some help here please

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electronic engineering ,music school or both? , need some help here please

At the moment i am studying some electronics at a fairly basic level,i've took some extra classes so if i pass it all i can move onto a higher level in august , i'll get to skip a year in a way.

The thing is, i want to go to a music school so i can improve my playing alot more and see what the music industry is like , if i was going to go to a music school i'd mybe get a music degree(then i might have a chance of being a teacher) but i'm not sure , the main reason to go would be to learn to play better.

I dont know what to do really, take the route of getting some electronics qualifications,i'd be able to build pedals,amps etc and also probably have a decent job and money hopefully.

or try and do something with music,mybe the electronics stuff would help with recording too.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? i'm having a hard time making a decision.
    Thanks alot

ok...first of all....if by "music school" you mean a music college (conservatory)....lemme be brutally honest here (as i've attended one.....made it about 2 semesters)....you have to be pretty good to even get in, and then you have to become really good, and you can't study "rock guitar"....there's no such thing.

you WILL have to play piano proficiently, you WILL have to take all the other normal college courses, you will likely have to take at least one semester of conducting, you will be taking music theory until it comes out yer butt.....and the "trials" are a blue freakin' bitch....that's where, and the end of the semester (quarter)...you have to "perform" a piece that you have learned, and it has to be damn near perfect....and it WILL be classical.....unless you get in to Berklely....where you might perform a ridiculous jazz piece....

now......what do ya think.....oh yea....and by the way....after you graduate with your B.A. in music theory or music performance....where do you suppose your going to work....???

i'm not trying to be an **************************** here....but going to music school is really only for the VERY serious.....as in Philharmonic Orchestra positions (etc.) Music school is NOT for rock guitar

sorry

"If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
    I woulda wrote a better song "
    member Mazi Bee Militia
    Talk Box Brigade
    Gretsch Guards
    Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

I've been an electronics tech for 12 years and while I really enjoy what I do I have come to realize that I hit the top of my game. I currently have an AASEET degree, but in order to advance in my career further by becoming an engineer I need to have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering at least, so I am now going back to school to do just that. I am also thinking of minoring in music, this would help me to improve my musical skills and at the same time it might qualify me to teach music as well. To sum up, if you really enjoy working with electronics then by all means pursue that engineering degree, it will open up many doors for you down the road, and you can always do music in your spare time.

The music industry is very competitive and IMO somewhat closed off to those who don't already have some sort of connection via some friend or relative, I don't think that it is a very lucrative pursuit.
      Any problem can be solved by the suitable application of nuclear weapons.

XT Brotherhood

Comment

Originally posted by MONGOOZ
        ok...first of all....if by "music school" you mean a music college (conservatory)....lemme be brutally honest here (as i've attended one.....made it about 2 semesters)....you have to be pretty good to even get in, and then you have to become really good, and you can't study "rock guitar"....there's no such thing.

you WILL have to play piano proficiently, you WILL have to take all the other normal college courses, you will likely have to take at least one semester of conducting, you will be taking music theory until it comes out yer butt.....and the "trials" are a blue freakin' bitch....that's where, and the end of the semester (quarter)...you have to "perform" a piece that you have learned, and it has to be damn near perfect....and it WILL be classical.....unless you get in to Berklely....where you might perform a ridiculous jazz piece....

now......what do ya think.....oh yea....and by the way....after you graduate with your B.A. in music theory or music performance....where do you suppose your going to work....???

i'm not trying to be an **************************** here....but going to music school is really only for the VERY serious.....as in Philharmonic Orchestra positions (etc.) Music school is NOT for rock guitar

sorry

How 'bout MI?

d.
        Originally Posted by The Doors

This is the end.

Comment

If you don't know how to play guitar, you can still make it big in music, but if you don't understand electronics, you'll get electrocuted.
          A fool can toss a stone into a pond which a thousand wise men cannot retrieve...

Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey.

Comment

Originally posted by FrettnOvrNuttn
            If you suck at music, you can still make it big in music, but if you suck at electronics, you'll get electrocuted.

Not necessarily.

XT Brotherhood

Comment

i was talking more about going to music school to learn all different styles of music , i don't mind if i have theory coming out of my butt , i'd be going there to learn as much as i could. I don't want to just learn rock guitar, i want to play everything.

I alread know the music buisness is pretty cut throat but all i want to do is get really good on the guitar(that doesnt mean shred 16th notes at 800bpm)and , record some songs and sell it on the internet and through distrubuters , hopefully it would sell, if not then , oh well.

I'm thinking mybe do the electronics stuff and just learn guitar myself like i've been doing for the last 4 years. I'm still not sure though.

Comment

Also bear in mind that an EE will open many more doors that aren't necessarily directly related to electronics. For instance, I work as a Network Design Engineer and most of my peers have EE's (in fact, it's pretty much a pre-requisite for the job any more).

I also was a music major when I initially went to college, but quickly learned that there is no $$$ to be had there.

You best bet, IMO, would be to continue toward an EE degree and study music on the side or as a minor.

Comment

Originally posted by Koyote

How 'bout MI?

d.

what is "MI"???
                  "If I would have known I was gonna hafta play this song for the rest of my life.........
                  member Mazi Bee Militia
                  Talk Box Brigade
                  Gretsch Guards
                  Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

Originally posted by scott(ish)
                    i was talking more about going to music school to learn all different styles of music , i don't mind if i have theory coming out of my butt , i'd be going there to learn as much as i could. I don't want to just learn rock guitar, i want to play everything.

I alread know the music buisness is pretty cut throat but all i want to do is get really good on the guitar(that doesnt mean shred 16th notes at 800bpm)and , record some songs and sell it on the internet and through distrubuters , hopefully it would sell, if not then , oh well.

I'm thinking mybe do the electronics stuff and just learn guitar myself like i've been doing for the last 4 years. I'm still not sure though.

If all you want to do is get really good on the guitar, then find a really good guitar/music teacher and take private lessons. You will get a lot more out of the one on one interaction than you will in a classroom full of students all vying for the professors attention. Plus college professors for the most part to not have the time or inclination to take a personal interest in you.

So go to college for that electrical engineering degree, and take lessons privately.

XT Brotherhood

Comment

http://www.mi.edu/

Tada... the place for the modern musicians, a friend of mine went there, learned a whole lot...

d.
                      Originally Posted by The Doors

This is the end.

Comment

Originally posted by scott(ish)

music colleges, as i said, are very "classical" music oriented....so different "styles" isn't gonna really happen too much....
                        if your serious about the music study, then maybe you should talk to the folks at G.I.T.
                        if your interested in electronics....then i would suggest you pursue that avenue....and do music more as a side thing....you could still get "professional" lessons, and learn a lot, and you would be more "in control" of the styles you learn, than in a college

member Mazi Bee Militia
                        Talk Box Brigade
                        Gretsch Guards
                        Geezer Brigade #291

Comment

Originally posted by TomcatMF

If all you want to do is get really good on the guitar, then find a really good guitar/music teacher and take private lessons. You will get a lot more out of the one on one interaction than you will in a classroom full of students all vying for the professors attention. Plus college professors for the most part to not have the time or inclination to take a personal interest in you.

So go to college for that electrical engineering degree, and take lessons privately.

To be honest , that sounds like the best idea, because i'd still be able to play music, i could probably gig every so often, i'd have money to feed GAS.
                          It would also provide security.

Comment

Get the EE degree. That way you can afford to do what you want with the rest of your life. Being poor sucks.
                            XT Brotherhood

Comment

Originally posted by FrettnOvrNuttn
                              If you don't know how to play guitar, you can still make it big in music, but if you don't understand electronics, you'll get electrocuted.
                              Not true.

If you suck at electronics you can always go into mgnt and make some real money.
                              "Born to Play" MP3 album at iTunes & Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X