Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Copies of Fender Strats

Are there any good ones? All I hear are how bad everything (including Squire) is. Do you have a good experience with a cheap strat copy?

Originally posted by affy
    Are there any good ones? All I hear are how bad everything (including Squire) is. Do you have a good experience with a cheap strat copy?
    Yup- I've played quite a few very good playing/sounding Squiers. Just gotta be willing to try a bunch 'til you find a keeper- they're out there...
    Good deals http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post45270390

YoutubeJams http://www.youtube.com/user/sixblade...4?feature=mhee

Comment

I have 3 excellent playing Squier Strats. Pretty much depends on what you can make of it once you get it. Learn to work on your guitars and set them up.

Comment

I asked some questions in another thread in the "Electric" section, but haven't heard anything yet. I'll ask them here:

1) How similar is a Squier to a non-Squier Fender?

2) Is there something special I need to watch out for with regard to the tremelo, etc, as I have only used Floyd Rose? I don't use it much.

3) Are they bad about getting out of tune? In other words, will I end up having to replace tuners? or trem?

4) Are there levels of quality with Squiers that I should know about? High-end? Low-end?

Comment

A squier strat is a fender strat

I've tried some cheap copies, johnson, sx, etc...

they blow
          The new kid friendly mother approved LR

Comment

What are the differences?

Would fender sell more if the Squier was easy peel?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Duice
              What are the differences?

Would fender sell more if the Squier was easy peel?

Easy peel?

Comment

Hard to beat a squier for the money.
                Great transactions with: FWAxeIbanez, L6SGuy, 66_skylark

I play the Model T of guitars

Comment

Yamaha. Was shopping for an american strat and found a yamaha that I liked better than any of the fenders I played.
                  XT Brotherhood

Comment

I'd take a Yamaha Pacifica any day over a Squier. There are ather knock offs that are Okay if not better than Squier. You just have to look and play around and find one. Do not impulse buy according to looks at that price bracket.
                    Originally Posted by Expressway to yr Skull

Some things just can't be apologized enough for. James Blunt is one of them.

Comment

Depends what you want. All of these are about $99 - $125 used

Yamaha Pacifica 112 (rosewood neck) or 112M (maple neck)
                      Older Peavey Predators
                      Samick MB-1 Malibu

I like the Chinese Squiers because they have real wood bodies and 22 fret necks. The Korean Squiers sometimes had plywood bodies.
                      www.soundclick.com/daveski

www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/daveski

www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/hoserski

www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/midlifecrisis

Comment

i own a NEW YORK PRO strat copy that was actually the template for me when I went looking for an MIA Strat.

Its still a GREAT guitar and has the BEST neck of everything i own EXCEPT my MIA Stratsthis isnt the guy I bought mine from but heres one on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YORK-PRO-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ150031865180QQihZ005QQcategoryZ238 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my other option would have been a Jay Turser. I have played them in a local mom n pop here and they FEEL great!

Now please realize as far as the NYP goes, I have put a blade double in the bridge and Brian may in the neck and an MIJ strat in the middle, but id didnt swap out ANY of the other HW.

thats my 2 cts
                        FrankenTele - HUM in the Bridge, Lipstick in the Mid Dream 180 at the neck - Bigsby - Thinline
                        Peavey Generation EXP w/ Piezo in the bridge
                        Peavey JF1 - es335 clone
                        Agile 2000 Holdtop / twin P90's
                        Jay Turser White JT140 colonel
                        Roland S550
                        Behringer 8 channel mixer
                        Roland MA - 8 Active Monitors
                        AMD X2 5600 Powered Linux Work Station
                        Korg K61

Comment

Originally posted by mindwave
                          i own a NEW YORK PRO strat copy that was actually the template for me when I went looking for an MIA Strat.

Its still a GREAT guitar and has the BEST neck of everything i own EXCEPT my MIA Stratsthis isnt the guy I bought mine from but heres one on the bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YORK-PRO-ELECTRIC-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ150031865180QQihZ005QQcategoryZ238 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my other option would have been a Jay Turser. I have played them in a local mom n pop here and they FEEL great!

Now please realize as far as the NYP goes, I have put a blade double in the bridge and Brian may in the neck and an MIJ strat in the middle, but id didnt swap out ANY of the other HW.

thats my 2 cts

My daughter's "Girly Monster" started out life as a New York Pro...

It definately has a sweet neck!
                          SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

Hamer Daytona & Carvin Bolt are worth while strat copies.

My experience with Squiers is that the QC is pretty lax resulting in mostly mediocre guitars, some decent and some downright bad.

It may be worth your time to find a store that has just acquired a batch of them and cull out the best of the lot. With a good set-up and possibly some fret work, they can be made to play reasonably well. I'd never buy one on-line or ebay.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

The old Fernandes Lawsuit copies as well as the Tokai copies are great.
                              -Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful.

Official member of the Hendrix Militia

Veteran ass-kicker of the Mazi Bee Militia

Comment

Working...
                              X