Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Korean vs. China Ibanez guitars-HUGE quality difference.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Korean vs. China Ibanez guitars-HUGE quality difference.

I just got an Ibanez ARX300CRS.It was made in China.

I can't believe the difference in quality.I also have an Ibanez RG320, & it's just a POS compared to the ARX-for about the same price range at that.The ARX sustains amazingly well-probably due to the unique 3-bolt bridge design & overall Les-Paulish feel.

W/upgrades to the pickups, this guitar will be a serious rock & roll machine.

I've got an ARC300. Excellent quality. Very well done.

Personally, I don't think it's always so much a question of where a guitar is built but more who is doing the quality control. Ibanez is one of those companies that I feel I can trust to make sure crap doesn't get sold to customers.

Of note, my Squier Affinity Tele is also made in China and it's also a really decent guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by jason
      I just got an Ibanez ARX300CRS.It was made in China.

I can't believe the difference in quality.I also have an Ibanez RG320, & it's just a POS compared to the ARX-for about the same price range at that.The ARX sustains amazingly well-probably due to the unique 3-bolt bridge design & overall Les-Paulish feel.

Wow, this threat is the exact opposite of what i expected
      "Some people have a way with words. Some people.... have... not.... way."
      Steve Martin

Comment

My RG410 was made in Japan in 1986.

I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by jason

I was comparing the ARC300 (which has ACH humbuckers, as does the ARX) to the AR300 (Super 58 humbuckers) in a shop a while back. Whereas the ARC seemed to be a very good guitar, the AR which costs about twice as much blew me away. The Super 58s in that body have a 'sparkle' that isn't duplicated in the ARC.

In terms of build quality and feel, there seemed to be little to choose between these. If you like the ARC tone, it's a great guitar; if you want to upgrade the pickups, you are in luck, you saved roughly $300 on the purchase; and if you buy the AR300, you have one of the best sounding LP-type guitars going without any additional work.

I prefer a single cut style and 4 control layout, so Ibanez hasn't quite built an Artist-series guitar for me. If the AR300 was a single cut, I would have one now.

I do have two Artcores and a JetKing2. (The JK2 is Indonesian, it comes with Super 58s, yet doesn't have the same 'sparkle' as the AR300 - probably a result of the solid mohagany body. Mine cost $300. It's control cavity needed shielding to eliminate buzz, which is unusual for Ibanez. I shielded the cavity with conductive paint and did some wiring modifications to reinforce the single coil tone when switched in and it is perhaps my favorite guitar right now).
          It is quite likely that there are more Ibanez guitars in my future.
          "I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'" -Bob Newhart.

Comment

Lot's of info and opinions on all types at:
            http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/
            "I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'" -Bob Newhart.

Comment

I did swap out the pickups on my ARC300 and put in a JB/'59 combo. Yeah, the pickups are ok. They can kind of do classic rock but they aren't very 'full'.

Comment

The technology of guitar/amp manufacturing is over 50 years old. It ain't rocket science since the most desired designs are the oldest ones, ie, telecasters, strats and lp's. The Chinese have reverse-engineered many of our most cherished instruments and are building them for us at a bargain price. Some would argue better because they are using CNC technology to make consistent precise fitting a reality. Also, they have access to virgin forests plump full of potential virgin tonewoods - the domestic manufacturers of the 1950's didn't have that opportunity as most of our domestic supplies of virgin woods were cut down long before they got into the business. I have tried numerous Chinese copies and find them to be good value for the $$$ as is, and a great base to build a custom machine upon.
                www.soundclick.com/daveski

www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/daveski

www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/hoserski

www.podsafeaudio.com/jamroom/midlifecrisis

Comment

Working...
                X