Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some great contemporary fiction

So I don't read much contemporary fiction. I'm generally more into the classics, or contemporary classics (Sallinger, Bellow etc.) I want a list of the best fiction written in the last 10-15 years. Some books that I've read recently and enjoyed were Diary by Chuck Palahnuik and High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. I like both of their writing styles. Things that are funny, things that are weird, or things that are completely original. You can recommend other books by these authors, and by all means any other recent fiction works that fit the bill.
    Originally Posted by eloydrummerboy

On average woodchucks weigh 4.5 - 9 lbs. I weigh 160 lbs and when I just started, I could maybe drink 7 beers and be pretty drunk. Chugging, will get you drunk faster so I'm saying I could have chugged 5 beers. Using the beer to weight relationships that have been taught to me in drivers education, we derive the equation 160/9 = 5/x. Solving for X we can estimate that if a woodchuck could chug bud, he'd be able to chug .28 Buds before passing out and getting drawn on by fellow woodchucks.

another author I've been meaning to check into is Tom Robbins, but he seems like he can get out there. Is there a good place to start in on his work?

On average woodchucks weigh 4.5 - 9 lbs. I weigh 160 lbs and when I just started, I could maybe drink 7 beers and be pretty drunk. Chugging, will get you drunk faster so I'm saying I could have chugged 5 beers. Using the beer to weight relationships that have been taught to me in drivers education, we derive the equation 160/9 = 5/x. Solving for X we can estimate that if a woodchuck could chug bud, he'd be able to chug .28 Buds before passing out and getting drawn on by fellow woodchucks.

Comment

My personal favorite (serious favorite):

The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch

Absolutely brilliant from start to finish. The characters have the wittiest conversations I have ever read.

-G
      Composer: http://www.garrettshatzer.com
      Featuring two works for guitar: "The Holiday" for solo 7-string and "The Transition" for 7-string and two 6-strings.

Comment

They're pretty low-brow, but Carl Hiaassen writes some very funny books. Elmore Leonard is in the same school.

For Hiaassen, try Double Whammy or Skin Tight.

My favorite Elmore Leonard's are Tishomingo Blues and Pagan Babies, but then again, when you have this many books, there are tons of great ones:

The Bounty Hunters
        The Law at Randado
        Escape from Five Shadows
        Last Stand at Saber River
        Hombre
        The Big Bounce
        The Moonshine War
        Valdez is Coming
        Forty Lashes Less One
        Mr. Majestyk
        Fifty-Two Pickup
        Swag
        Unknown Man No. 89
        The Hunted
        The Switch
        Gunsights
        City Primeval
        Gold Coast
        Split Images
        Cat Chaser
        Stick
        Labrava
        Glitz
        Bandits
        Touch
        Freaky Deaky
        Killshot
        Get Shorty
        Maximum Bob
        Rum Punch
        Pronto
        Riding the Rap
        Out of Sight
        Cuba Libre
        Be Cool
        Pagan Babies
        Tishomingo Blues
        Mr. Paradise
        The Hot Kid
        Comfort to the Enemy
        Up in Honey
        www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

Check out Jonathan Lethem (esp. Fortress of Solitude and Motherless Brooklyn), Dave Eggers (A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius [yes, that is the title]), and Michael Chabon. (Amazing Adventures of Kavelier and Klay)

I think those are three of the brightest talents in contemporary fiction. I'd also take a look at the rest of Hornby's books (About a Boy, A Long Way Down and Fever Pitch)

Comment

World War Z
            HCGJ Hyperbolic Race Traitor of the Year 2008

Originally Posted by Captain Scully

wayne vinson was sitting in seat 18c crying like a bitch.

i had to carry that softy out under my arm. if times got desperate he was going to be our raft.

he was wanting to store a bogner shiva in the coat closet. i later ate my lunch off that overpriced piece of **************** while i was sitting on the tail fin waiting for the rescue boats.

Originally Posted by mattoverb

omg I just noticed this thread has a vampire.

Comment

If you can read Huck Finn and understand it, you can read Irvine Welsh's books. I just finished Trainspotting and it's (of course) better than the movie. It's told from the viewpoint of the different characters as if they were talking and they all have fairly strong Scottish accents.
              Originally Posted by requiem156

I don't have to find something to dislike - it comes naturally.

Comment

If you can read Huck Finn and understand it, you can read Irvine Welsh's books. I just finished Trainspotting and it's (of course) better than the movie. It's told from the viewpoint of the different characters as if they were talking and they all have fairly strong Scottish accents.

Trainspotting... I really disliked that movie. Which is weird because it is one that I should like. Given my taste in movies and the people who recommended it, I should have liked it. But I didn't. In fact it's one of the only movies I've ever shut off in the middle.

That's not to say that the book can't be better though. I dunno.

Comment

Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' is great, but if you haven't read the book of Trainspotting go get it now!

Comment

They're pretty low-brow, but Carl Hiaassen writes some very funny books. Elmore Leonard is in the same school.

For Hiaassen, try Double Whammy or Skin Tight.

My favorite Elmore Leonard's are Tishomingo Blues and Pagan Babies, but then again, when you have this many books, there are tons of great ones:

I've got one of Leonard's books that I bought at the used bookstore, Glitz. I bought it because I heard that he's one of the best dialogue writers out there.

I checked out Hiaassen on amazon. Looks worth a read as well.

Comment

How about something from, say...... Dan Brown?

HCGB #289
                      God FAQ

http://www.soundclick.com/g33k

Comment

How about something from, say...... Dan Brown?

I wondered how long that would take

Comment

Anything by Neil Stephenson
                          Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

The 5 People You Meet in Heaven was a great 2 hour read. Tuesdays With Morrie is also great.

Mitch Albom.
                            http://www.myspace.com/davemcrae

Comment

Murakami
                              My Songs Rising of the Lights

Comment

Working...
                              X