Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fact shred pisses people off is starting to MAKE IT COOL!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liar! You just had an emotional response!

To what? I wasn't responding to shred music, but rather a thread about shred music.

On top of that, my response was hardly emotional.
    Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

I'm still amazed that people haven't commented on the fact that
      Tom Morello was a student of Michael Angelo Batio.

This means that Alternative is Shred and Shred is Alternative.
      Truth - Jeff Beck jams with the white stripes - it really happened.

Then, some more:
      Rivers Cuomo of Weezer was a shredder and tried to keep it quiet
      until Mp3 files of his old metal band "Zoom" hit the scene.

I've got the Mp3s. His solo on "Power Talk" is surprising, he sweeps,
      he flatpicks, he legatos, he whammies. It's a virtual shred lexicon.

He later did occasional metal covers live with Weezer as "a joke".
      Whatever Mr. Cuomo.

There's a secret Shred Fetish happening in any music scene.

Comment

To what? I wasn't responding to shred music, but rather a thread about shred music.

On top of that, my response was hardly emotional.

The guy in your avatar looks like he's going to RAGE on that Epiphone.

You haven't heard his 20 minute "this land is your land" with his 8 minute solo?

Comment

Then, some more:

Whatever Mr. Cuomo.

I don't know how much of this stuff is true (it all could be, faik), but it says quite a bit. It's not that much of a stretch to connect yardbirds-era beck to the white stripes, especially looking at both in the pantheon of MUSIC, rather than rock music, or guitar music. Beck is a considerably more proficient player, but the spirit of the music isn't that far removed.

As for Batio teaching Morello, Rivers Cuomo, etc., it really proves the anti-shredder's point. While Batio's entire schitck is his speed and technique, other folks have speed and technique in their toolbelt, but put the music before their egos. Music that's about the instrument, rather than what's coming out of the instrument, is inherently shallow and meaningless. Morello, Cuomo, etc. know that.

Morello did more to advance both the guitar and rock music than Batio could have ever dreamed of. There's no sense in even trying to compare a band like Nitro to Rage, or Batio's mindless speed to Morello's innovation. It's just silly.

As for Woody, the man had a unique sense of rhythm to put it kindly, had out of key, warbly vocals, and I'd be surprised if he knew many more than three chords. Despite all that, he's more important to popular music (and music in general) than every shredder that's ever existed combined. That says a great deal, imo.
          Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

Then, some more:

Whatever Mr. Cuomo.

Morello's shreddiest RATM solo is on the Crow movie soundtrack. Good stuff.

Comment

Heh, there's a guy in my Everquest guild that claims to have gone to High School with Tom Morello. Says his (Morello's) mom was a teacher there at the time too.

I wonder if I can get him to get an autograph or something

Comment

I don't know how much of this stuff is true (it all could be, faik), but it says quite a bit. It's not that much of a stretch to connect yardbirds-era beck to the white stripes, especially looking at both in the pantheon of MUSIC, rather than rock music, or guitar music. Beck is a considerably more proficient player, but the spirit of the music isn't that far removed.

As for Batio teaching Morello, Rivers Cuomo, etc., it really proves the anti-shredder's point. While Batio's entire schitck is his speed and technique, other folks have speed and technique in their toolbelt, but put the music before their egos. Music that's about the instrument, rather than what's coming out of the instrument, is inherently shallow and meaningless. Morello, Cuomo, etc. know that.

Morello did more to advance both the guitar and rock music than Batio could have ever dreamed of. There's no sense in even trying to compare a band like Nitro to Rage, or Batio's mindless speed to Morello's innovation. It's just silly.

As for Woody, the man had a unique sense of rhythm to put it kindly, had out of key, warbly vocals, and I'd be surprised if he knew many more than three chords. Despite all that, he's more important to popular music (and music in general) than every shredder that's ever existed combined. That says a great deal, imo.

What makes a piece of music or genre 'important'?

Not every person who plays shred does it for egotistical reasons. Not every kid using 3 delay pedals running through 2 Wahs whilst he plays the guitar with a drill is 'avant-garde' or 'alternative'. There are great musicians in every genre.

Comment

Sigh - I can't even troll the thread properly. Sigh. I ran out of energy.

Comment

What makes a piece of music or genre 'important'?

Not every person who plays shred does it for egotistical reasons. Not every kid using 3 delay pedals running through 2 Wahs whilst he plays the guitar with a drill is 'avant-garde' or 'alternative'. There are great musicians in every genre.

"Shred" isn't really a genre, though. "Shred" is just rock music. The egotism and guitar-centric nature of it is what makes it "shred".

If you have to ask what makes Woody Guthrie more important than Nitro, I don't know what to tell you.
                    Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

Rivers Cuomo was on the cover of a guitar rag wearing an Yngwie T-shirt and playing an EVH frankenstrat guitar.

Comment

The only shredder I listen to is the guitarist from Hella. He's pretty ****************ing good, though.

I guess the bass player from Lightning Bolt does his fair share of shredding too.
                        http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13929
                        http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/58730-fluxusbear.mp3

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I'm out of touch with reality.

Comment

Rivers Cuomo was on the cover of a guitar rag wearing an Yngwie T-shirt and playing an EVH frankenstrat guitar.

Yngwie and EVH are great players beyond just their speed, though. And EVH has a great band with great songs to boot. I've poked fun at Yngwie here and there, because his songs are terrible and his persona is straight out of Spinal Tap. That being said, the playing his **************** songs serve as a platform for is fantastic.

I was talking about MAB, who I'd be surprised to see you defend, though. No redeeming value in that guy's music, at all, imo.
                          Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

I remember that. I thought he was trying to be ironic more than anything else.

Originally Posted by BarneyGumbel

There is a guy at our office who's colon must take a sharp turn towards his back at the exit point. Every time he has used the bathroom, whatever toilet he used is unusable for the rest of the day. It looks like someone filled a 10-gallon bucket with sloppy mud, took 8 steps back, and threw the contents of the bucket in the direction of the toilet. To cap things off, he ALWAYS leaves the lid up, maybe to showcase the damage. Unbelievable.

Six Months Gone
                            The Open Jam

Comment

I remember that. I thought he was trying to be ironic more than anything else.

I RTFA and he said that he was way into that kind of stuff....

Comment

I RTFA and he said that he was way into that kind of stuff....

read the ****************ing article?
                                Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

Working...
                                X