Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun advice for noob

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This doesn't mean that you leave all your guns loaded. It means that you treat them as if they are loaded, whether they are actually loaded or not. Following this rule, or the one about not pointing the muzzle at anything you aren't willing to destroy, would have prevented the unfortunate death of Terry Kath alluded to earlier in the thread.

My bad, complete misreading on my part. Thanks for clearing that up.
    http://www.quincymumford.com/

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
    -Frank Zappa

Originally Posted by Devil is Dill

Weebz is the chorus in the Greek tragedy that is Guitar Jam.

Comment

the boogie man looks under his bed, making sure Chuck Norris is not there....

then sleeps like a baby
      '52 Tele, '70 Strat, '72 Yamaha FG-230 12-string, Taylor 410, Fender P-Bass, Glaesel cello, violin, banjo, 2 trumpets, 2 Yamaha S-90's, Korg CX-3, Nord Electro 3 73, a coupla Yamaha PSR's, a sh!tload of harmonicas and way, way, way too much gear
      http://www.joeblowmusic.com/
      http://www.cadillacdawgs.com/
      Shouldn't "anal retentive" have a hyphen?

Comment

This is my would be terrorist/alien/zombie killer. Beretta .40 caliber.
        SCHECTER SOCIETY
        Citizen of JACKSON NATION

Comment

Oops, I broke the first rule by pointing it at Eddie.
          SCHECTER SOCIETY
          Citizen of JACKSON NATION

Comment

Another good read-
            'To Ride, Shoot straight, and Speak the truth.'
            -Jeff Cooper-

Comment

See if you have a gun range in your area that has a class that allows you to try different firearms. If you do, take that class first. I started shoot dam near before I could walk and did so regularly up until I went into the AF. Then I was shooting all the time and seems like I can't really remember a time I wasn't shooting. Safety, Safety, Safety you can't have to much safety and it can't be said enough. Prepare in advance and enjoy the shooting hobby.

Comment

Depending on why you want to get into it, I would recommend either an NRA Hunter Safety course, or some other basic firearm safety course.
                J.
                "Lift up your eyes and look at the cloud and the light within it and the stars surrounding it. The star that leads the way is your star."
                -Jesus, Gospel of Judas 57

Comment

Hey guys. I'm posting here cause I know there is some 2nd amendment love here. I have no experience with guns and was hoping that you guys had some books for beginners that were worth reading before someone starts down the road of gun ownership. Thanks a lot, bros

when I first got into guns I read every gun magazine available

when I joined the NRA I started getting the American Rifleman atomatically

great stories in it
                  The new kid friendly mother approved LR

Comment

A nice .22 is the way to start. Cheap ammo and plenty choices.
                    Real Men Play Telecasters!

Were you doing better when "rich" people were makin' money, OR are you better off now?

Fuchs ODS 30, BadCat HC15, 63' Fender Blackface Bandmaster, Mesa-Boogie Mark, Mesa-Boogie Tremoverb, Mesa-boogie Heartbreaker, MusicMan 112RD

Comment

A nice .22 is the way to start. Cheap ammo and plenty choices.

agreed

make it a revolver... you don't want incriminating litter lying around after the fact, and it sinks just as fast as a 600 dollar glock when you need to toss it in the river
                      The new kid friendly mother approved LR

Comment

agreed

make it a revolver... you don't want incriminating litter lying around after the fact, and it sinks just as fast as a 600 dollar glock when you need to toss it in the river

it'll sink faster than a Glock.

they're made of plastic remember?
                        Originally Posted by The Master

You are God.

Originally Posted by tiltsta

I believe in bassdave.

Comment

The Glock slide is one heavy chunk o' steel and would make the gun sink like a stone. No worries in the sinkage department.
                          Good deals with: "georgestrings," "Radiohead, lol," "Dr. Scottie C," "sonaboy," "elliseye," "FckStick Jones," "Outlier," "Polk Salad." "lowbrow," "rindgecore," "rparchen," "archer28," "dangolguitartec," "Mr. Goodbomb," "pinchegordo," "xopyc," "tincob," "waveman," "blueshawk1," "JoshuaTSP," "SPONGEBOB," "clarksean," "xtchc1978," "panoramic," "jimmyjameb0," "gschmittling," "C1993," "LUVSWATCH," "Markus RN," "imarks."

Comment

if people didn't have guns, how would we hunt deer?

Cool swords and/or spears
                            Shotgun Royale

last.fm

Comment

Learn to use a gun, well. I don't mean shooting, I mean basic operation. If you don't know how to unload, check, clean and generally operate your weapon in a safe way - don't get one.

Never ever even pick up a gun when you are not awake, aware and 100% alert of your actions and surroundings. That doesn't mean just under the influence (though that would be extra stupid), it means being tired (even a little), distracted, angry or anything of the sort. I had some bad experience with being tired and operating a gun in the army. Ever tried to unload/check an m-4 with the clip still in? Not a good idea.

Keep your weapon in the minimal level of readiness possible. That means that it shouldn't be on you when there isn't any necessity to have it there. It shouldn't have the clip in if you aren't going to use it. It SHOULDN'T be loaded if you're not going to shoot. IMO it should be in a safe, disassembled, most of the time.

Don't "practice" at home. Don't think you "look cool" with a weapon. Don't ****************ing imitate movies with your gun. Guns are NOT toys. Their only purpose is to kill. If you're not ready to kill - don't use one.

d.
                              Originally Posted by The Doors

This is the end.

Comment

How dramatic.

Guns absolutely are toys and mine are assembled at all times and most of 'em loaded.

They also live in a safe and don't get out much. Keeps them out of trouble. If their only purpose is "to kill," mine have been out of work for years and will most likely stay that way.

Don't freak out about the possibility of them suddenly thinking evil thoughts, jumping up and opening fire. Just respect firearms, be safe, and always follow those four rules and you will be fine.
                                Good deals with: "georgestrings," "Radiohead, lol," "Dr. Scottie C," "sonaboy," "elliseye," "FckStick Jones," "Outlier," "Polk Salad." "lowbrow," "rindgecore," "rparchen," "archer28," "dangolguitartec," "Mr. Goodbomb," "pinchegordo," "xopyc," "tincob," "waveman," "blueshawk1," "JoshuaTSP," "SPONGEBOB," "clarksean," "xtchc1978," "panoramic," "jimmyjameb0," "gschmittling," "C1993," "LUVSWATCH," "Markus RN," "imarks."

Comment

Working...
                                X