Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun advice for noob

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I second the purchase of a good .22 semi-auto.

Great for practice. Fun to shoot. Won't break you financially.

I recommend a Ruger MK III. I love mine.

Comment

don't join the army.

you'll thank me later.
      phreds space

Live Ruckus Raise a Ruckus, y'all!

Conquerclub.com username: Phunkyphred

Comment

you'll thank me later.

Like an Air Force guy would know anything...about sleeping in a warm bed every night and being surrounded by people who can actaully spell their own names without having to look at the patch above their right shirt pocket..

yeah, good point actually phred...where were you 22 years ago dammit! (don't answer that, I know you were prolly in elementary school, LOL!)

Comment

.. i wasn't even in school yet!

i was just kidding about joining the army. instead the phrase should be..

'join the army... someone has to.'

. important job that is better done by people other than myself. people that are good at football and soccer, hunting, camping.. join the army. . it's like highschool, but with guns, another 4-6 years with extended field trips.
          phreds space

Comment

Buy the biggest semi auto you can afford and light up your local high school.

That was tasteless joke
            http://www.quincymumford.com/

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
            -Frank Zappa

Originally Posted by Devil is Dill

Weebz is the chorus in the Greek tragedy that is Guitar Jam.

Comment

.. . important job that is better done by people other than myself. people that are good at football and soccer, hunting, camping.. join the army. . it's like highschool, but with guns, another 4-6 years with extended field trips.

Hilarious, and not far from the truth!

Comment

The Four Rules of Firearms Handling
                by Jeff Cooper

Rule 1
                [COLOR="Red"]ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
                The only exception to this occurs when you have a firearm in your hands and you have personally unloaded it for checking. As soon as you put it down, Rule 1 applies again.

Rule 2
                [COLOR="Red"]NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY
                You may not wish to destroy it, but you must be clear in your mind that you are quite ready to if you let that muzzle cover the target. To allow a firearm to point at another human being is a deadly threat, and should always be treated as such.

Rule 3
                [COLOR="Red"]KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
                This we call the Golden Rule because its violation is responsible for about 80 percent of the firearms disasters we read about.

Rule 4
                [COLOR="Red"]BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                You never shoot at anything until you have positively identified it. You never fire at a shadow, or a sound, or a suspected presence. You shoot only when you know absolutely what you are shooting at and what is beyond it.

Remember these rules always.

To get started, visit a local gun show. There will probably be an NRA booth there. Join up to support your rights and talk to the guys there about whether there is a local club that can help you since you are new.

I recommend a .22. They are lots of fun, inexpensive, and not intimidating like a large-caliber center fire.

Good luck and be careful!

Comment

Careful, it's easy to get another kind of gas. Gun acquisition syndrome. Trust me I know.
                  SCHECTER SOCIETY
                  Citizen of JACKSON NATION

Comment

are desert eagles the chuck norris of handguns? it's pretty much all you ever hear about in movies and stuff.
                    Originally Posted by Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love.

Comment

are desert eagles the chuck norris of handguns? it's pretty much all you ever hear about in movies and stuff.

they have bad ass kick to them that you don't get to seein the movies .

there was a video on myspace videos of a girl getting hit int he nose when firing one.

albiet, she did have poor stance and stability. she just thought she could shoot it
                      phreds space

Comment

They are solid handguns. You can purchase them with barrels, bolts, and mags for several calibers up to .50.

They look pretty cool too.

Comment

Keep it simple

keep it from jamming

keep it ugly

Keep it Glock
                          '52 Tele, '70 Strat, '72 Yamaha FG-230 12-string, Taylor 410, Fender P-Bass, Glaesel cello, violin, banjo, 2 trumpets, 2 Yamaha S-90's, Korg CX-3, Nord Electro 3 73, a coupla Yamaha PSR's, a sh!tload of harmonicas and way, way, way too much gear
                          http://www.joeblowmusic.com/
                          http://www.cadillacdawgs.com/
                          Shouldn't "anal retentive" have a hyphen?

Comment

We gun people don't read. We shoot.

Remember, though, "All guns are always loaded," "keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire," and "never cover anything with the muzzle you wouldn't be willing to shoot."

Excellent. Three of the four rules. Those will usually get you by OK, but don't forget "be sure of your target, and what is beyond it".

Edit: Oops, should have read the second page, but you still can't point this stuff out too much.

Comment

This is a good pistol to start with:

Ruger Mark II .22LR
                              "As the caterpillar chooses the fairest leaves to lay her eggs on, so the priest lays his curse on the fairest joys."
                              -William Blake

Comment

This is a good pistol to start with:

Ruger Mark II .22LR

Yeah, it is a nice pistol. I have a blued finish Mark II. They are out of production now, replaced by the Mark III. They can still be had for pretty cheap though.

A .22 is the perfect gun to start with. Ammo is plentiful and cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X