Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really am in awe of people who are fluent in multiple languages....

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last time I was in Florida, we ended up on a dive boat with a guy from Germany who knew about 4 words in English. We were all having a heck of a time trying communicate. He didn't have a dive buddy, and another guy on the boat had been buddying up with me and my wife, so the third guy in our group buddied up with the German. Everyone was really concerned about the lack of communication above the water.

After their first dive together, I asked the guy that buddied up with the German if they had any problems and he told me "No, we communicated just fine underwater using hand signals."
    Some original songs...

And some cover tunes...

Comment

I have two fluent ones and bits of three more.
      http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13929
      http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/58730-fluxusbear.mp3

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I'm out of touch with reality.

Comment

I struggled through German in high school and through French in college. I remember enough French to be able to understand some of it, but if you dropped me in the middle of Paris I'd be lost. I couldn't carry on a conversation.
        We were just trying to write songs about prostitutes and lesbians, that's all. - Paul McCartney

Comment

no foreign languages here. i have a niece in a belgian school. she was adopted from kazakstan, and at the orphanage they spoke russian. she is learning 4 languages, primarily english, but also russian, french, and i believe spanish or something else. she's only 3 1/2 i believe. the school is international though.
          Originally Posted by Standard8

Other girls in the future will look down on you for hooking up with this girl. It's like credit card pussy. You get some now, but you give up much more pussy in the future by spending your cock-budget now.

Originally Posted by GnR102385

If we were talking second cousin I wouldn't even have that moment where I thought "Wait, this is ****************ed up right?" before I plowed it like an Amish field.

Originally Posted by chainsaw fats

...picking on Crab_Cake for not thinking is the equivalent of putting a trip-wire on the bottom step of the short bus.

Comment

Speaking two languages = Bilingual.
            Speaking three or more languages = Multilingual.
            Speaking only one language = American.

......The army offers rewarding skills.

Originally posted by Terje
            All of you need a good coffee enema, that's for sure.

Originally posted by NPG Asking guitar buyers for financial advice is like asking a vegetarian what kind of steakhouse they go to.

myspace.com/nelsandersen

Comment

I can pretty much understand like 75% of spoken Spanish at this point but I still can't speak it effectively.

When I was in Panama for Christmas I could get by with the basics but I really need to practice and I never do. Still, my gf's mother doesn't really feel comfortable speaking English but she understands it and so we got along just fine with her Speaking to me in Spanish and me responding to her in English.

Comment

Speaking only one language = American.

or British.

Comment

I took enough Spanish in high school and college that I could understand and make myself understood when I went to Puerto Rico, but I'll never be fluent unless I lived there for six months or so. Immersion is really the only way.
                  Originally Posted by 2manband

With the 4 seconds I save, I have time for more important things, like singing "Holy Diver"

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Welcome to McFail's Navy.

Comment

Deo woll cante mes urge beth tomo. Vero?

(Ledsen men Wilmer bad mig skriva detta, vet inte riktigt vad det betyder faktiskt. Beatrice)

Comment

Deo woll cante mes urge bet tomo. Vero?

(Ledsen men Wilmer bad mig skriva detta, vet inte riktigt vad det betyder faktiskt. Beatrice)

You can't fool me , Wilmer!! I know that's you!!
                      http://www.kingsofthedrink.com/

Comment

To Finns it's normal to be fluent in at least Finnish and English, possibly Swedish as well although many suck in all three. I don't get to use Swedish enough to consider myself fluent but I can understand (if someone else is speaking) and read it well. I do consider myself fluent in English and Finnish. I also know some French and Japanese.

This one makes my eyes go cross... I used to work with a Norwegian and a Swede. Sometimes, they'd speak to each other, but each using their own language. Yet, they totally understood each other. 'splain this for me, please.

I have a hard enough time understanding people from northern and central Vietnam, and it's the same language!
                        Originally Posted by rhino55

I think lonechicken is the one that always says dont stick your dick in the crazy more than once. Thats good advice.

Originally Posted by Gaindrain

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Comment

Still, my gf

pics

Comment

This one makes my eyes go cross... I used to work with a Norwegian and a Swede. Sometimes, they'd speak to each other, but each using their own language. Yet, they totally understood each other. 'splain this for me, please.

Norwegian and Swedish are very close to each other. Danish is like Swedish but spoken with a potato in your mouth. I find reading Danish is easy but when I was in Copenhagen I couldn't understand a word if someone is speaking it to me.

Finnish and Estonian are also quite similar. To us Finns Estonian sounds like a funny (and sometimes delightfully rude) version of Finnish. Many words and expressions are quite different though so for a Finn to understand Estonian isn't as easy as for a Norwegian to understand Swedish.
                            "Walking the fine line between bacon and Christian."

Comment

I have a hard enough time understanding people from northern and central Vietnam, and it's the same language!

Both languages are very similar.
                              Not to mention that Norway has several hundred years ago been under both Danish and Swedish rule.
                              Furthermore, a lot of Swedes live and work here and vice versa.
                              Now that I think about it, we are each other's Canadians

For us it's quite weird that a lot of Finland residents speak better English than Swedish
                              Wasted! @ MySpace

Proud member of teh Bucket Brigade

Comment

I have also envied people who can speak different languages. I took spanish in high school and college and lived in Spain for a year, I never got fluent, but I was able to live and work in Spain so I guess i was good enough. I speak spanish slowly and haltingly, like Tarzan or Tonto.

"Me like very much this food. You me say I pay how much? Thank you muchly"

Comment

Working...
                                X