Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really am in awe of people who are fluent in multiple languages....

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really am in awe of people who are fluent in multiple languages....

I'm around people that are fluent in spanish and english so much that it has become second nature. But sometimes I stop and think about how impressive that is, I couldn't imagine having a whole separate language of words I could use to express myself.
    http://www.kingsofthedrink.com/

My wife is or was fluent in several languages.

Her mother was Chinese and until she was 12, my wife only spoke Chinese. When her mother died, she went to live with her uncle and learned English. She joined the Army right out of high school and was a Russian translator for a few years.

She doesn't remember much Chinese now, but it still blows me away when she hears someone speaking Russian and then she starts rattling off to them in Russian like she's been speaking it her entire life.

I only speakz teh English and locatz.
    Some original songs...

And some cover tunes...

Comment

I see those Rosetta Stone commercials all the time and am thinking I'd like to pick up another language. Spanish is probably the most practical, but I would love to learn French or Mandarin Chinese.
      www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

I have like ten different Rosetta Stone language packs. They're pretty good for learning language basics.

Nothing works as good as immersion training, though. Rosetta is a good start, but honestly, I don't see how you could even begin using the language in much of a functional way with it.

Comment

I have like ten different Rosetta Stone language packs. They're pretty good for learning language basics.

Nothing works as good as immersion training, though. Rosetta is a good start, but honestly, I don't see how you could even begin using the language in much of a functional way with it.

That's good to know. The commercials and their ads in the in-flight magazines make it seem like you'll be fluent in no time.
          www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

I agree about Rosetta, it is a great way to get started, but to really learn a language takes more than just one course like that. For most of us anyway. Some people are gifted learning languages I reckon.

I have been working on Spanish for like eight years and still have plenty of room for improvement.

Musical aptitude helps, at least with the pronounciation aspect.
            Brian

"it aint nothin' but a jam"
            -Jimi Hendrix 10-10-68

Comment

I gots two.

Comment

That's good to know. The commercials and their ads in the in-flight magazines make it seem like you'll be fluent in no time.

I believe you can download a demo and try it.

You've probably at least (I assume) seen video of what it is.

In the main mode of it, it flashes a word, phrase, or sentence (you start with single words) up on the top of the screen, along with a voice, and you have to pick out the correct picture out of four.

I used to post here a lot:

http://forum.wordreference.com/

It's a pretty busy, large forum for various language learning. They probably have some reviews of Rosetta, too.

Comment

It amazes me how people can master multiples languages as well.

I always wondered how I would fare in a foreign country. I think I'd pick up the language in about 20 years.

Comment

I hear ya... I have/had a friend from Finland that is fluent in English, Finnish and spoke a bit of Swedish and Russian and the guys at our work made fun of him because he had a bit of an issue saying the 'th' sound in word brother (which they don't really use in Finland).

I was like, 'DUDES... four languages! He speakes FOUR languages and you barely have a grasp on one!'

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

I gots two.

Me to.

Two and half, actually.

Comment

To Finns it's normal to be fluent in at least Finnish and English, possibly Swedish as well although many suck in all three. I don't get to use Swedish enough to consider myself fluent but I can understand (if someone else is speaking) and read it well. I do consider myself fluent in English and Finnish. I also know some French and Japanese.
                        "Walking the fine line between bacon and Christian."

Comment

Me to.

Two and half, actually.

+1
                          Wasted! @ MySpace

Proud member of teh Bucket Brigade

Comment

I'm around people that are fluent in spanish and english so much that it has become second nature. But sometimes I stop and think about how impressive that is, I couldn't imagine having a whole separate language of words I could use to express myself.

I wish I could speak two languages.. My major's curriculium required 12 hours of foreign language. My mother is from Germany and knows German, and I already took the first class and made an A. Hopefully one day I could speak German which would be cool.
                            Guitar:

1976 Gibson Custom Les Paul
                            Jackson w/ reversed headstock.

Amp:

Mesa Boogie F-50 head
                            Avatar 2x12 cabinet with 2 Vintage 30s

Effects

Boss GT-8

Originally Posted by Devil is Dill

"Now I am become Weebz, destroyer of careers."

Comment

1GF's native language is Portuguese, but she's also fluent in English and Spanish, and is currently learning French. I can speak teh English and mediocre spanich.

Comment

Working...
                              X