Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the inevitable has happened

i'm addicted to cable news tv. the problem is that they're all ****************ing awful. the actual news is somewhere in the middle of where they all report. the opinion shows are the worst. doesn't matter if its Chris Matthews or Bill O'Reilly?, there's nothing newsworthy about them.

so why the hell am i subjecting myself to this ****************? its gotta be that its so terrible, they can't possibly be serious. its like bizarroland, where the Daily Show actually has news and these guys are the comedy shows.
    The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

The most conservative of the programs are about 70% truth, in my humble opinion.

One must absorb all sources and extrapolate for himself what he believes to be true. No source is gospel.

Comment

The most conservative of the programs are about 70% truth, in my humble opinion.

One must absorb all sources and extrapolate for himself what he believes to be true. No source is gospel.

of course no source is gospel. that said, most of what they're broadcasting isn't even news.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

of course no source is gospel. that said, most of what they're broadcasting isn't even news.

True.

Comment

I hate Bill Oreilly. He is the biggest idiot on TV and works for the most biased channel in the world. Could fox news be anymore anti-liberal far right if they tried. Problem is as much as I hate oreilly i cant stop watching it.

http://www.guitaroutfit.com

Comment

I hate Bill Oreilly. He is the biggest idiot on TV and works for the most biased channel in the world. Could fox news be anymore anti-liberal far right if they tried. Problem is as much as I hate oreilly i cant stop watching it.

http://www.guitaroutfit.com
            I use to like him way back when he was new. He leaned to the right a bit even than but was much more balanced. What happened? Now hes just a jerkoff. Hannitys worse imo. **************** fox

Comment

Your opinion is indeed most humble.

I agree with Howie for the most part.

Comment

ehh... tv is good for local news and morning tv news. usually i'm listenting to public radio off and on all day.

www.npr.org
                start where you are,
                use what you have,
                do what you can. arthur ashe

Comment

70% is a gross overestimation. Starting with the very premise that they are news/opinion shows rather than RNC (dis)infomercials.

But I've been saying for years that the problem with 24 hour news channels is that they have to fill a whole lot of time. They tend to do this in two main ways:

1- overplay every item to the point where two totally unrelated missing persons cases in two different states (that nobody in the other 48 states ever would have heard about prior to 24 hr. news) can suddenly seem like a nationwide epidemic of kidnapping.

2- Give a bunch of under-informed yet over-opinionated blowhards an hour a day to share their dubious wisdom with the public.
                  x

Comment

I don't think I have watched a news show in probably about 5 years. I really don't care.

Tell me - what is so important that is going to totally change your life that you will see on the news?
                    Originally Posted by Mercer

12pack, you are awesome.

http://www.sweeterunknown.com

Comment

I don't think I have watched a news show in probably about 5 years. I really don't care.

Tell me - what is so important that is going to totally change your life that you will see on the news?

its more about politics and stupid **************** about the election than anything else. because that stuff does affect your life.

Comment

so why the hell am i subjecting myself to this ****************? its gotta be that its so terrible, they can't possibly be serious. its like bizarroland, where the Daily Show actually has news and these guys are the comedy shows.

Because you're addicted, and just like any other addiction they give you just enough to make you stay tuned and keep coming back for more. If they just gave you all the hard news and facts every 5 minutes no one would watch their channel for more than 5 minutes.
                        http://www.kingsofthedrink.com/

Comment

Bill O'Reilly's best work was on "Inside Edition" where he pandered to the lowest common denominator of viewers. Oh. I guess he still does that.
                          www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

...and that's why this country is so ****************ed up. Because politics, and news, is all becoming a matter of faith. Nobody thinks rationally anymore, and the media just feeds it.
                            -- Jeff
                            Beware of counterfeit Shure SM57s

Comment

Bill O'Reilly's best work was on "Inside Edition" where he pandered to the lowest common denominator of viewers. Oh. I guess he still does that.

O'Reilly on "Inside Edition" and Maury Povich on "Current Affair." It was a golden age for television journalism.
                              We were just trying to write songs about prostitutes and lesbians, that's all. - Paul McCartney

Comment

Working...
                              X