Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar amps and Stereo's aren't the same thing at all, even if they use similar technology.

And if you have a sweet vintage tube amp as part of your home stereo, there's no reason a cd player wont sound great thru it (unless it's a ****************ty cd player).

Comment

I'm not against cd's (I own more of them than records, but not much), but for me, nothing beats going to the local record shop and going through crates, finding those out of print gems. As hard as it is to believe, there are still ALOT of great albums that haven't made it to cd, and probably never will.

Absolutely. I remember when King Curtis At Fillmore West was sought after, and how excited I was when I found it for $5. It got reissued within months of that, though.
      Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

Does anybody make a CD player that take computer CD ROM drive? CD Rom for computer is speed locked which is the only difference in any CD player

Comment

What exists here on these forums are a larger concentrations of "audio aware" musicians or pseudo-musicians who place a greater importance on audio quality than the average music listener. LP's, vinyl or whatever you want to call the old format played on turntables, while selling better than they have in years, will never recapture a significant part of the market because they are not convenient anymore. It's not portatable, it requires more care in handling, it requires equipment that requires even more equipment to use (quality turntable, quality amp/receiver, quality speakers). The average listener can put all their music on an Ipod or other MP3 player, listen on the go, plug that player into a compact home music system that has either a docking station or USB (same for in the car). The average music listener isn't an audiophile. Vinyl is a niche market at best and will be no more than that no matter how many records Letterman or Conan hold up for the audience to see.

Comment

The technology's not that similar, actually...at least in terms of what we're talking about. I've never seen a guitar amp with a needle or a laser....either can be amplified with tubes or transistors (turntable/cd player, I mean).

That's not the point, anyway...I'm just saying you've been known to troll on similar topics in the past.

If you can't hear the difference between rosewood and maple (assuming that you mean that, and that's not another troll), this definitely isn't an issue you need to be worried about.
            The difference in tone between rosewood and maple is percieved. It's the same as the difference between Vinyl and CD; it's a perception that there's somehow more aural detail in a vinyl than a CD, but there isn't. I don't see how this is even an argument. With regards to the tube thing; that's a different argument altogether. I'm not dumb enough to buy a hi-fi tube setup to see if it sounds different with everything; I just know that it's not going to be worth in excess of a grand.
            Originally Posted by Ferdinandstrat

And Mr. Grimace, there is nothing that I would be delighted more to do right now then to punch you in the face until it disintegrates.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

And if you have a sweet vintage tube amp as part of your home stereo, there's no reason a cd player wont sound great thru it (unless it's a ****************ty cd player).

I was referring more to "tone" that you get through them, rather than whether it's gonna sound good; I'm sure tube setup's mostly DO sound better; that's a by-product of being a niche product that costs several thousand dollars. Guitar tube amps are mostly known for "pleasant" distortion, I wouldn't think you would want much distortion, pleasant or not, while playing a record; but it's a bit off topic and into a realm I know little about to discuss hi-fi tube set ups.
              Originally Posted by Ferdinandstrat

And Mr. Grimace, there is nothing that I would be delighted more to do right now then to punch you in the face until it disintegrates.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

The difference in tone between rosewood and maple is percieved. It's the same as the difference between Vinyl and CD; it's a perception that there's somehow more aural detail in a vinyl than a CD, but there isn't. I don't see how this is even an argument. With regards to the tube thing; that's a different argument altogether. I'm not dumb enough to buy a hi-fi tube setup to see if it sounds different with everything; I just know that it's not going to be worth in excess of a grand.

You seem to be of the opinion that if you can't hear something, then nobody can.

Nobody's trying to take your mp3's or CD's away from you....if you prefer the digital format, fine. It's your ears.

You completely missed the point about the amplifiers. I was just pointing out the problem with your notion that they're "similar technology". Comparing a record player to a stereo system is like comparing a Telecaster to a JTM45.
                Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

into a realm I know little about

Hey, that's not been stopping you so far.
                  Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

You completely missed the point about the amplifiers. I was just pointing out the problem with your notion that they're "similar technology". Comparing a record player to a stereo system is like comparing a Telecaster to a JTM45.

I think he was probably comparing a guitar amplifier to a hifi stereo amplifier, not a record player

Comment

Yeah, I'm 18 and I own quite a bit of vinyl. Especially current indie stuff like death cab, shins, flaming lips, etc. but also billy joel and a lot of old vinyl I get at thrift stores and the 'bay. Most record labels of "indie" artists that have been and continue to release albums on cd and vinyl (subpop, kill rock stars, etc.) are now including a download card in the album and some bonus (like a 7" or something). It's great. And artists like elliott smith (rip) who have oop vinyl that is scarce and expensive are having labels reissue and everything!
                      Gear: Rhodes 54 Suitcase (In Progress), Fender Rhodes 73

deals with: inscho, zygoat (x2), Stubacca, jeremylp (x2), danielboles, pfindeis

Comment

I think he was probably comparing a guitar amplifier to a hifi stereo amplifier, not a record player

I know. That's what I'm saying...that's a completely different topic.

Vinyl != hifi tube stereos, and neither have anything to do with guitar amps.
                        Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

Absolutely. I remember when King Curtis At Fillmore West was sought after, and how excited I was when I found it for $5. It got reissued within months of that, though.

What a great ****************ing album I especially love that Billy Preston is featured - one of my favourite Hammond players.

I, for one - never had the thought cross my mind that vinyl would retake a significant piece of the market share. I know cd's will always be king (well, mp3's now moreso) but was just glad to see a renewed interest in the medium, thats all
                          Gretsch Electromatic w/ TV Jones classics
                          '55 Fender Pro replica (courtesy of Stu-Daddy amps)

Comment

What a great ****************ing album I especially love that Billy Preston is featured - one of my favourite Hammond players.

I, for one - never had the thought cross my mind that vinyl would retake a significant piece of the market share. I know cd's will always be king (well, mp3's now moreso) but was just glad to see a renewed interest in the medium, thats all

Yep, Big Macs will always sell better than filet mignon, too.

The Aretha album from the same night, with the same band, is incredible, too. I have a recent vinyl reissue of that one....
                            Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

Too funny....people actually believe that Cd's sound better than vinyl. You guys need to get your ears checked if you can't hear it or stop playing your vinyl on

Come over to mine and have a listen to Surfing with the Alien or Blow by Blow on vinyl and you will change your mind after 4 notes.

You have never heard vinyl on a decent stereo setup if you really think your cds sound better.
                              "Go to the musicians, in the work of a few musicians you can hear every aspect of this conflict between light and dark within the soul.” - Hugh Maclennan/The Watch That Ends the Night

"And the guitar players, they look damaged...they been outcasts all their lives" - Jagger/Richards

Comment

Most cd players have ****************ty DAC and that is a massive problem when playing them. Use your digital outs and go through an external DAC and your cd will sound much much better (unless you have a very good cd player already).
                                "Go to the musicians, in the work of a few musicians you can hear every aspect of this conflict between light and dark within the soul.” - Hugh Maclennan/The Watch That Ends the Night

"And the guitar players, they look damaged...they been outcasts all their lives" - Jagger/Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X