Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Resurgence of vinyl

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a few thousand LP's mostly in excellent to near mint condition condition.
    I will be playing them until the day I die.
    I'm also excited about Blu Ray and it's future as a music format.
    But the LP will always be my favorite format.
    forged a million years ago
    Black Blade.

Originally Posted by Bro Blue

Tell her it's her fault for going down in the basement before you could get her surprise remodel done.

Then cunnilingus.

Make her a sandwich.

Comment

I most prefer jacking up the quality of my mp3 imports to 256 kbps variable bit rate. Those sound as good as a CD. As for the whole record thing, it'd be nice if I could get a CD that was mastered like a record. That way I have the benefits of both formats.
      Goodall Cutaway - Addy Spruce, Blackwood B&S
      Gibson Songbird Deluxe - Spruce, Rosewood B&S
      Tacoma Thunderhawk Baritone Acoustic
      Gibson ES-335
      Carvin CT-6
      Fender MIM Strat w/Gold Lace's
      Savage Macht 6
      EB Volume->Crybaby->TU2->HBE Powerscreamer->DL-4->Supervibe Chorus

Comment

With lossy compression formats like mp3, you can't restore quality simply by upsampling it to a higher rate - once the detail is gone, it's gone.

I'd hardly consider 256k mp3's anything near cd quality myself. While I prefer other compression formats, variable bit rate (vbr) mp3 encodings using the -alt-preset commands will generally provide the best possible quality. Fixed rate encoding just wastes space.

Comment

its only for record collectors. anyone that buys a record these days is pretty much a record collector so why not

Comment

that looks dapper. i cant find a dealer in nz

there's one on ebay right now

Comment

Don't get a belt drive if you can afford a direct drive. I'm in the process of coverting all of my vinyl to digital (in regards to the debate, yes vinyl does sound better but as I have very little time to actually devote to listening to music digital just works better for me) and I have constant problems with speed adjustments as the turntable is getting rolling. Now, this is an older turntable and the belt may be worn but I'd rather not have to deal with this issue at all.

depends on the quality of the turntable

Comment

depends on the quality of the turntable

This is true. Decent belt drives are deifinatley better than cheap direct drives, which can transmit motor noise through the spindle.

Comment

I have just one question. Have you ever listened to a whole record, on a good top quality sound system or headphones and then listened to the same CD in comparison on the same system?

If the answer is no, then what are you really doing here arguing with us?

I've got in excess of a thousand records, and at least three vinyl players as given to me by my dad, who doens't want them because he isn't going to deal with the hassle of putting on a original 1969 Pressing of "Black Sabbath" when I've got the mp3s and remastered CDs. Using that record as an example; I have that original 1969 pressing (it's sitting in a frame now), the original non-remastered CD and the Black Box remastered collection. The Black Box CD simply sounds better than either of the other two, which sound the same because it's the same mastering. The mastering and/or quality of the original track is 99.9% of how it's going to sound on a similar set up. There's always going to be some cork-sniffing high end argument to be made; whether it be vinyl is better, or you really need a Tube set up, or whatever. These are all by and large, without merit.
                  Originally Posted by Ferdinandstrat

And Mr. Grimace, there is nothing that I would be delighted more to do right now then to punch you in the face until it disintegrates.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I've got in excess of a thousand records, and at least three vinyl players as given to me by my dad, who doens't want them because he isn't going to deal with the hassle of putting on a original 1969 Pressing of "Black Sabbath" when I've got the mp3s and remastered CDs. Using that record as an example; I have that original 1969 pressing (it's sitting in a frame now), the original non-remastered CD and the Black Box remastered collection. The Black Box CD simply sounds better than either of the other two, which sound the same because it's the same mastering. The mastering and/or quality of the original track is 99.9% of how it's going to sound on a similar set up. There's always going to be some cork-sniffing high end argument to be made; whether it be vinyl is better, or you really need a Tube set up, or whatever. These are all by and large, without merit.

I'm not sure I can trust your judgment regarding audio, since you can't tell the sonic difference between a maple and rosewood fingerboard....
                    oke:
                    HCGB #289
                    God FAQ

http://www.soundclick.com/g33k

Comment

AG, weren't you the guy that posted the "Tube amps are obsolete" thread over in the amp forum, a while back? If it was someone else, never mind....
                      Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

AG, weren't you the guy that posted the "Tube amps are obsolete" thread over in the amp forum, a while back? If it was someone else, never mind....

No, it was "tone is overrated" and it got me banned a couple months later for trolling (back when JeffK had a sense of humor and told me it was funny). Guitar amps and Stereo's aren't the same thing at all, even if they use similar technology.

And Mr. Grimace, there is nothing that I would be delighted more to do right now then to punch you in the face until it disintegrates.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I'm not sure I can trust your judgment regarding audio, since you can't tell the sonic difference between a maple and rosewood fingerboard....
                          oke:

Yes I can, there is none.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I'm not against cd's (I own more of them than records, but not much), but for me, nothing beats going to the local record shop and going through crates, finding those out of print gems. As hard as it is to believe, there are still ALOT of great albums that haven't made it to cd, and probably never will.
                            Gretsch Electromatic w/ TV Jones classics
                            '55 Fender Pro replica (courtesy of Stu-Daddy amps)

Comment

I'm not against cd's (I own more of them than records, but not much), but for me, nothing beats going to the local record shop and going through crates, finding those out of print gems. As hard as it is to believe, there are still ALOT of great albums that haven't made it to cd, and probably never will.

I've got hundreds of out of print gems

Anyone want a copy of "The Joy of Cooking?"

My dad had weird taste apparently

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

No, it was "tone is overrated" and it got me banned a couple months later for trolling (back when JeffK had a sense of humor and told me it was funny). Guitar amps and Stereo's aren't the same thing at all, even if they use similar technology.

The technology's not that similar, actually...at least in terms of what we're talking about. I've never seen a guitar amp with a needle or a laser....either can be amplified with tubes or transistors (turntable/cd player, I mean).

That's not the point, anyway...I'm just saying you've been known to troll on similar topics in the past.

If you can't hear the difference between rosewood and maple (assuming that you mean that, and that's not another troll), this definitely isn't an issue you need to be worried about.
                                Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

Working...
                                X