Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

these are a good deal (if you can still get this model)

The music hall mmf-5 turntable is a 2-speed belt driven audiophile turntable employing the unique dual-plinth construction originated by music hall. The distinctive design isolates the critical sound reproducing components; platter, main bearing, tone arm, and cartridge on the top platform from the motor, switch, wiring, and feet which are mounted on the bottom platform. Six viso-elastic cones separate the two platforms and provide vibration damping. The mmf-5 comes complete with cartridge mounted.

Features:

Comment

I have a lot of records, but I don't have a good enough record player or system to make the gains worth it. I will one day though. I just like the appeal of records. It's kinda like taking the time to fix eggs and bacon and toast in the morning vs. going to a restraunt and ordering the same thing.

Yours is a little better plus you get a little bit of enjoyment out of the whole activity. I'm a alone in this.

No you're not. I completely agree. If you hadn't had a record player, I would've bought one myself.
      Originally Posted by The Master

Gun in one hand, wheel in other, cigar in mouth, one-liners ready.

Originally Posted by -todgemistro-

baron85 wins the thread

Originally Posted by mattburnside

The internet is a great big place. I'm sure there's a forum out there full of people who shoot straight and don't give a damn what you think, but who somehow feel free to get a massive case of butt-hurt if you dare to disagree with them.

Actually, it's probably a bunch of little forums. With one dude each.

My Music:
      Myspace
      Soundclick

Comment

that looks dapper. i cant find a dealer in nz

these are a good deal (if you can still get this model)

The music hall mmf-5 turntable is a 2-speed belt driven audiophile turntable employing the unique dual-plinth construction originated by music hall. The distinctive design isolates the critical sound reproducing components; platter, main bearing, tone arm, and cartridge on the top platform from the motor, switch, wiring, and feet which are mounted on the bottom platform. Six viso-elastic cones separate the two platforms and provide vibration damping. The mmf-5 comes complete with cartridge mounted.

Features:

Mercury by day, Uranus by night.

Originally Posted by Hamza Ashgari

Saudi women... won't go to hell "because it's impossible to go there twice."

Comment

I think there may be more people buying vinyl, but I don't think there are many new people listening to vinyl. Thus the download cards.
          Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

Personally, I think there could well be something to it, beyond the std analog vs digital regurgitation that is often puked up. Consider the kindred tube vs ss topics... though little is proven, it seems that perhaps people may prefer the 'distortion' characteristics of tubes. Well, there may be something similar in vinyl. Or perhaps differences in mastering - for a variety of reasons, lp's can't be straight copies of the digital master used to create cd's. For sure, lp's probably can't use the insane amount of compression that is wrongfully applied to most digital media.

I also wondered if something like the now defunct Laserdisc would have been an audiophile candidate... Though laser based, it is actually an analog format.

There's some crazy homebrew projects here...

Comment

hey...would it matter if i get a belt drive as opposed to a direct drive?

Don't get a belt drive if you can afford a direct drive. I'm in the process of coverting all of my vinyl to digital (in regards to the debate, yes vinyl does sound better but as I have very little time to actually devote to listening to music digital just works better for me) and I have constant problems with speed adjustments as the turntable is getting rolling. Now, this is an older turntable and the belt may be worn but I'd rather not have to deal with this issue at all.
              Originally Posted by axuality
              What does the quality of Harvard have to do with this? You don't want to make the common mistake of Liberalism by thinking that education makes one smarter.

Comment

I just don't get the vinyl. Maybe it is because I remember life before digital media...when it was vinyl or 8 track.

Comment

The groovy kids like the vinyl. CDs are for squares.

yep...ask yerself the question am i cool or am i a square. The buy what's appropriate.
                  My Last FM
                  My Youtube page
                  BobNod # 11

Comment

I grew up with vinyl and it's overrated.
                    As a medium, it's large and labor intensive and more easily damaged.
                    Outdated. A novelty that some people enjoy.

I agree with this as well. if i had as much vinyl as I do cd's now I would need an extra room.
                    My Last FM
                    My Youtube page
                    BobNod # 11

Comment

I still think it may be the mastering.

And you can get turntables for the car for ur sound on the go.

Comment

A pristine LP pressing, mastered well with a brand new cartridge/needle
                        can sound better than a CD.

But after that first playing the quality level degrades.

The convenience and non-degrading factor makes CD trump LPs although
                        I prefer the LP format for its aesthetic form and the fact that you can
                        actually read the liner notes without a microscope.

DVD audio or SACD trumps CD and LP though.

I've got a Sonic Solutions demo of a classical pianist and singer performing
                        and it's UNEARTHLY - it's 192 khz 24-bit and it's so crystal clear and quiet
                        you can hear the pianists feet controlling the pedals and the singers breaths.

While that's happening, there's a high definition video of a park in europe
                        with swans on a lake, people walking in the park near it, it's just unbelievable.

I've never had vinyl even when I was a vinyl snob approach that level of
                        quality - maybe 75% there but it was just unreal.

That being said, the 24-bit stuff I'm recording in my studio now trumps the
                        vast majority of the vinyl recordings I listened to in the 1970s.

Comment

Correct.
                          HCGB #289
                          God FAQ

http://www.soundclick.com/g33k

Comment

I've got a Sonic Solutions demo of a classical pianist and singer performing
                            and it's UNEARTHLY - it's 192 khz 24-bit and it's so crystal clear and quiet
                            you can hear the pianists feet controlling the pedals and the singers breaths.

While that's happening, there's a high definition video of a park in europe
                            with swans on a lake, people walking in the park near it, it's just unbelievable.

I've never had vinyl even when I was a vinyl snob approach that level of
                            quality - maybe 75% there but it was just unreal.

That being said, the 24-bit stuff I'm recording in my studio now trumps the
                            vast majority of the vinyl recordings I listened to in the 1970s.

Yep, my early years of buying music was on Records, between 81 and about 88 until cd's took over. (remember we called them records and not vinyl, in fact we had two store in my city with "records and tapes" after their name).
                            Anyway I cleaned mine with the brush and solution and I also used one of those anti static guns on occasion, but the quality still degraded. I also bought a few brand new records which were warped or had some scratch on it. the good days.

I don't think their is any kind of threat to the current medium because people want convenience and it's all relative in regards to sound quality. if you are used to hearing mp3's a cd might sound better or if you only listen to cd's mp3 might sound worse. It's something you have to be looking (listening) for though, perhaps with a chip on your shoulder and a torch to carry

The main reason we won't see a lot of records though is because it's not cost effective. the equipment alone is probably not even manufactured anymore and the cost of mass production would be too high.

If it were not for cd's we would not have half the stuff that's avaliable to us now (reissues of rare and long out of print stuff).
                            My Last FM
                            My Youtube page
                            BobNod # 11

Comment

I still listen to vinyl, but I rarely buy anything new in that format. I can remember when a new LP was half the price of its CD counterpart. CDs never got any cheaper (even though they're ridiculously easy to manufacture) and now new LPs are now even more expensive than CDs -- oftentimes twice as expensive... if not more.

And no matter how much I obsessively clean them, they still crackle and pop enough to annoy me.

Comment

Agreed.
                                We were just trying to write songs about prostitutes and lesbians, that's all. - Paul McCartney

Comment

• Working...
                                  X