Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Resurgence of vinyl

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is strange coincidence, i just got an email interview about vinyl records and "the year of vinyl"
    Originally Posted by axepilot

It made all of the bust ass work that we've been doing pulling this band together worth every ounce of sweat.

Comment

hipster cred. That's the sole advantage of vinyl.

What about the better sound, better artwork that you can actually appreciate, and the fact that it makes you listen to albums the way they were meant to be listened (as a whole, instead of skipping around)? Most CDs are mastered like **************** because they are meant to be listened to in a car, on in the background, so everything is super loud and digital sounding.

CDs are almost useless in my opinion. Bands should just release things on vinyl and include a digital download in high quality. If you want to make a cd, you can do it yourself.

Comment

What about the better sound, better artwork that you can actually appreciate, and the fact that it makes you listen to albums the way they were meant to be listened (as a whole, instead of skipping around)? Most CDs are mastered like **************** because they are meant to be listened to in a car, on in the background, so everything is super loud and digital sounding.

CDs are almost useless in my opinion. Bands should just release things on vinyl and include a digital download in high quality. If you want to make a cd, you can do it yourself.

This thread has my wheels spinning, actually. Not that the ideas are mine, obviously....

I just like the "best of both worlds" possibility of vinyl with a download card, a lot.

I may well be that the only CD's selling will be blank ones, pretty soon. It's a way of both embracing digital technology and vinyl sound quality.

My whole thing for YEARS (I got on my vinyl kick about 10 years ago, though I owned some before that...I guess I was ahead of the hipster curve.) has been; vinyl at home, CD's in the car, and cassettes in my truck. Cassettes are fairly worthless, all the way around, though. That's just what my pickup has in it.
        Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

Yeah, music as an art form was "meant" to be enjoyed the way you like it. The fact that records aren't mastered very good has to do with a lot of things, but it doesn't mean it's the format's fault. And "It's digital sounding" is the biggest BS meaningless non-specific argument ever; it's what stubborn people say about EVERY new format.

And you guys that think vinyl is making some kind of a comeback are out of your minds; they hold up Vinyl cases on Letterman because they're bigger and show the art more, not because Vinyl's making some huge comeback. It's dead, deal with it.
          Originally Posted by Ferdinandstrat

And Mr. Grimace, there is nothing that I would be delighted more to do right now then to punch you in the face until it disintegrates.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I'll willingly vouch for vinyl every chance I get...

I bought a turntable last year, and the difference was jarring - technology today has come a long way since what we grew up with, and on a decent sound system, it's the best thing short of live music, IMHO.

The best part for me is that listener fatigue is a non-issue; it just sounds natural. It's like the difference between reading a book on your monitor in a .pdf file, versus reading a book in your favorite chair.

Comment

Yeah, music as an art form was "meant" to be enjoyed the way you like it. The fact that records aren't mastered very good has to do with a lot of things, but it doesn't mean it's the format's fault. And "It's digital sounding" is the biggest BS meaningless non-specific argument ever; it's what stubborn people say about EVERY new format.

And you guys that think vinyl is making some kind of a comeback are out of your minds; they hold up Vinyl cases on Letterman because they're bigger and show the art more, not because Vinyl's making some huge comeback. It's dead, deal with it.

I have just one question. Have you ever listened to a whole record, on a good top quality sound system or headphones and then listened to the same CD in comparison on the same system?

If the answer is no, then what are you really doing here arguing with us?
              ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Originally Posted by LeftyTom

I wouldn't want to be in any woman who wants me in her.

Originally Posted by Brocktoon

[Baron85's nickname:] Mommy's Little Man

Originally Posted by dmn23

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

Comment

What the hell are you talking about? There has been vinyl for sale at almost every show I have been to this year. Most decent bands release their stuff on vinyl as well as CD. With MP3s being so popular, CDs are almost useless....the only real you need them is to use them in a car. If you have a decent system, and your records are in good condition, they will sound a lot more natural than a CD. They have a lot more dynamics, and are often mastered better (they are not portable, so they don't need to be mastered to listen to in a car, or MP3 player, or computer, or whatever. There are also many record stores in most cities, and almost all big cities for record conventions each year. It's hardly dead....it's probably more popular than it has been in years actually.

Comment

No ****************...if you're buying your music at Walmart, you're not going to see a lot of vinyl (any).

Independent record stores (by "record store", I mean they carry ALL kinds of records, not exclusively vinyl) and shows are a different story, though. Every decent independent record store has a vinyl section.
                  Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

you can't fault someone for saying "vinyl is dead, deal with it" because you don't know where the person's head is at with concerns to formats, their listening habits or even how "involved" they are as music fans. just a few months ago a little old man was whinging at the video store how companies are "forcing me to buy dvds". i know someone like my dad, or the old dude, who may not be the most avid movie watcher in the world, may be totally confused or out of the loop when it comes to the advantages of differing formats. I still watch my selectavision and laserdiscs fairly often. I am a movie buff as well as a music fan. i still don't own an ipod but i certainly have about 2 gigs of music on my cellyphone.

heres the quick "interview" i just got and the answers.

> Hey Davey,
                    >
                    > Im in the process of writing an article and I was
                    > wondering if you could
                    > answer some questions for it.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Daryl
                    >
                    > Questions:
                    >
                    > Why did you consider 2007 the year of vinyl?
                    >

August 17 1982 was the commercial introduction of CDs.
                    I remember as a kid, and for the 25 subsequent years,
                    hearing about the "death of vinyl" blah blah. i
                    thought the anniversary would be a great opportunity
                    to have a sort of "rub it in their face" style of
                    personal victory

>
                    >
                    > When did you first recognize it?
                    >
                    troy from drinkers purgatory and i were talking about
                    how it was the 25th anniversary of CDs and how we
                    should release nothing but vinyl to celebrate. sorta
                    one of those drunken conversations but then between
                    jan 1 and dec 31 the count went like this

tiltwheel / off with their heads split 7"
                    dan padilla/gleam garden split 7"
                    tiltwheel razorcake 7"
                    tiltwheel/dan padilla/hidden spots/tim version 7"
                    county line road 7"
                    dan padilla / madison bloodbath 7"
                    tiltwheel/down in the dumps 7"
                    too many daves 7"
                    tiltwheel "heavens declare...." reissue 7"

>
                    >
                    > What do you predict for 2008?
                    >
                    letterman holds the vinyl releases of the guests on
                    his show. the last record swap i went to was packed
                    full of really young folks just licking everything up
                    they could. i'm not a total stickler for vinyl over CD
                    but def prefer both over compressed audio. if theres a
                    vinyl release i will def buy that first. i like the
                    idea that a lot of bands use to include a CD in a
                    vinyl release and/or a link to downloadable compressed
                    audio files. this is a low cost and totally "**************** you
                    we win any way you try and package us" approach to
                    music.

It made all of the bust ass work that we've been doing pulling this band together worth every ounce of sweat.

Comment

No ****************...if you're buying your music at Walmart, you're not going to see a lot of vinyl (any).

Independent record stores (by "record store", I mean they carry ALL kinds of records, not exclusively vinyl) and shows are a different story, though. Every decent independent record store has a vinyl section.

so does every hot topic! they even have some exclusive "hot topic only" releases. going through that section makes taking the kid to buy sweatshop "punk" clothes a little more bearable...

Comment

the only musically-inclined people i know that still buy vinyls are DnB or hip hop Dj's.

vinyls are sonically superior to other compact formats... i like the idea of selling vinyls with download cards. Ill get a turntable myself if more bands do so.

by the way, for those who care - there is a big hoo-haa over Panasonic trying to abolish the technics brand.
                        Mercury by day, Uranus by night.

Originally Posted by Hamza Ashgari

Saudi women... won't go to hell "because it's impossible to go there twice."

Comment

the only musically-inclined people i know that still buy vinyls are DnB or hip hop Dj's.

vinyls are sonically superior to other compact formats... i like the idea of selling vinyls with download cards. Ill get a turntable myself if more bands do so.

by the way, for those who care - there is a big hoo-haa over Panasonic trying to abolish the technics brand.

There's a fairly big market in classical and jazz.

But since those are already specialty markets, so to speak...

(although probably a pretty large chunk of the high-end audio equipment market)

Comment

so does every hot topic! they even have some exclusive "hot topic only" releases. going through that section makes taking the kid to buy sweatshop "punk" clothes a little more bearable...

Really?

I have never been to a Hot Topic, honestly.

To be even more honest, if my perception of it is true, it's the kind of thing I hate now, but would have dug when I was 13 and Led Zeppelin and Beatles shirts were hard to find in my rural area (yeah, I was one of those kids...I bet a lot of us here were.). Then again, that would have made them less "cool"(I thought so at the time, anyhow), if they'd been readily available, I bet.

I'm listening to Revolver on LP right now. I grew up with the CD's (which were poorly mastered, as well as being CD's....). The difference on the Beatles albums is ASTOUNDING. Not even close. I did grow up with the LP of Sgt. Pepper's, that I used to go and get from the library...The CD of that one sounds pretty bad, imo.

All of the Beatles stuff sounds 100% better on LP to me. I just had some corned beef and potatoes, which helps, too.
                            Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

still have a turntable - in fact a newer and better one than I had back in the day

still buy used and new vinyl, most of the bands I listen are available in vinyl

sounds great and really reinforces the idea of an album side and the arrangement of songs on each side. covers look better than cds also. and . . . they sound way better - warmer, more presence.

Comment

hey...would it matter if i get a belt drive as opposed to a direct drive?
                                Mercury by day, Uranus by night.

Originally Posted by Hamza Ashgari

Saudi women... won't go to hell "because it's impossible to go there twice."

Comment

Working...
                                X