Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Resurgence of vinyl

Something I've noticed lately - the last 10 or so bands I've seen play on either Letterman or Conan Obrien have been introduced by the host holding up an LP. Letterman always quips "time to go out and buy yourself one of those big cd players"

I, for one am really glad they're doing this - the more current stuff we get pressed on vinyl the better
    Gretsch Electromatic w/ TV Jones classics
    '55 Fender Pro replica (courtesy of Stu-Daddy amps)

Yep. I'm a fan of vinyl, myself.

Expect some folks to come in here real soon to tell you about how CD's never get scratched, never skip, and aren't quite as crappy as mp3's (they're right about the last part, btw).
    Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

The groovy kids like the vinyl. CDs are for squares.

Comment

One cool thing bands are doing (and I think our band is going to do) is sell vinyls with download cards, so that kids can get a vinyl but also put the songs on their ipod. I would love to see kids really get into vinyl.
        My Band:

www.myspace.com/arkellsmusic

Comment

One cool thing bands are doing (and I think our band is going to do) is sell vinyls with download cards, so that kids can get a vinyl but also put the songs on their ipod. I would love to see kids really get into vinyl.

That is pretty damn cool.

I bought Wilco's last album on LP, and it came with a CD of the album.
          Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

resurgence? where the heck have you been? our band released nothing but vinyl last year. to celebrate 25th anniversary of the CD.
            Originally Posted by axepilot

It made all of the bust ass work that we've been doing pulling this band together worth every ounce of sweat.

Comment

Yep. I'm a fan of vinyl, myself.

Expect some folks to come in here real soon to tell you about how CD's never get scratched, never skip, and aren't quite as crappy as mp3's (they're right about the last part, btw).

They don't if you're not a retard.
              Trade Refs: Uma Floresta, RitalinCupcake, Seemore, Inscho, TylerDurden24, theweight, EDS, L6Sguy, EvilSoup, cdawzrd, Skr3ddy, NITEFLY182 x2, williamh, andr3w, dysorexia, Fatso Forgottso, TehSuperFox, Orwell, sanyc, killthelights
              Trade Reference Thread
              For Sale: Nothing.
              Looking for: Nothing.

Comment

The last few record I bought came like that.

They don't if you're not a retard.

That obviously went over your head, so I'll break it down for you. I'm not a retard, though, but thanks.

Vinyl doesn't get scratched and skip (the first two criticisms to always come up about vinyl) if you're not a retard, either. But if it does, somehow, unlike CD's, it doesn't ruin the entire album, just the part that's scratched.
                Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

I've switched back to a rotary phone and i get up to change the tv channel.

Comment

I've switched back to a rotary phone and i get up to change the tv channel.

Well, that doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Nor does it have anything to do with the discussion at hand, unless your position is that technology is ALWAYS a good thing, or if you think ours is that it's ALWAYS a bad thing.

Thinking in absolutes never comes to a good end, though.
                    Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

IMO, that's the way to do it. That's what i want to do with my CD when/if it ever sees the light of day. Sadly though, I only know about 15 people my age with a record player.
                      -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I've said this before but **************** Musicians Friend in their stupid ****************ing faces.

Originally Posted by rickenvox

Realizing Ringo's talent is just a litmus test to identify musical idiots

Originally Posted by PFB

Ringo may have been the weakest link of the Beatles, but that's like being the worst president on Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

I have a lot of records, but I don't have a good enough record player or system to make the gains worth it. I will one day though. I just like the appeal of records. It's kinda like taking the time to fix eggs and bacon and toast in the morning vs. going to a restraunt and ordering the same thing.

Yours is a little better plus you get a little bit of enjoyment out of the whole activity. I'm a alone in this.
                        ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Originally Posted by LeftyTom

I wouldn't want to be in any woman who wants me in her.

Originally Posted by Brocktoon

[Baron85's nickname:] Mommy's Little Man

Originally Posted by dmn23

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

Comment

Well, that doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Nor does it have anything to do with the discussion at hand, unless your position is that technology is ALWAYS a good thing, or if you think ours is that it's ALWAYS a bad thing.

Thinking in absolutes never comes to a good end, though.

I grew up with vinyl and it's overrated.
                          As a medium, it's large and labor intensive and more easily damaged.
                          Outdated. A novelty that some people enjoy.

Comment

hipster cred. That's the sole advantage of vinyl.
                            Originally Posted by Ferdinandstrat

And Mr. Grimace, there is nothing that I would be delighted more to do right now then to punch you in the face until it disintegrates.

SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I grew up with vinyl and it's overrated.
                              As a medium, it's large and labor intensive and more easily damaged.
                              Outdated. A novelty that some people enjoy.

It's overrated to you. If digitized music sounds just as good to you, then by all means, buy it up. It doesn't sound as good to me, though, and a lot of others agree. It's not overrated to those of us that prefer the sound of it.

More easily damaged? How do you figure that? There's not a single skip in any piece of vinyl that I bought new. Some people don't take care of their records. That's not the fault of the medium, though. Those same people don't take care of CD's for ****************, either. That's a non-issue.
                              Pigpen said it was OK!

Comment

Working...
                              X