Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of Steely Dan...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to give this a shot. I love a project. I'll post the "Kid Charlemagne" solo backing track and we'll have at it. **************** three chord rock! If I can learn that solo once I can learn it again. Hope those of you so inclined will join me.
    Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

I'm down....
      MarkWein.com and Forums
      Study with me on Truefire.com!
      McFeely Custom Guitars Artist

Comment

I'd like to learn the solo but I'm not sure if I can nail that feel...
        http://www.quincymumford.com/

You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
        -Frank Zappa

Originally Posted by Devil is Dill

Weebz is the chorus in the Greek tragedy that is Guitar Jam.

Comment

I'm trying to remember, was KC in Am?

Comment

What's the 4th chord in "All Along the Watchtower"?
            The 4th and 5th:

Gb minor 7th (at the 2nd fret) and Ab minor 7th (at the 4th fret) for the turnaround, immediately after Hendrix sings "I can't get no relief"...

Comment

I am so totally in for this.

Great idea, JJ.
              My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

I'm trying to remember, was KC in Am?

Yup.

I've worked out that solo... it's not a "difficult" one to play so much, but getting it to sound right, in the groove, is not easy!
                "KA-BONGGGGG!!!"

- El Kabong

Comment

Whenever someone brings up this song, I am reminded of a night long ago:
                  My roomate and I were at our favorite tit bar. We were in our early 20s and both had reeeeally long hair. (I was in a hair metal band at the time, in fact.) This old, drunk guy staggered up to us and sat down--asked if we liked rock 'n' roll. "**************** yeah," was our reply. He then proceded to launch into a soliloquy about the solo to "Kid Charlemagne" and how it was the greatest rock 'n' roll guitar solo ever and Larry Carlton was the greatest rock 'n' roll guitar player ever, etc., etc.
                  Now, my (and apparently my roomate's) knowledge at that time of the Steely Dan catalogue was limited to the 3 or 4 songs they played on the local classic rock radio station. So we were like, "OK, old guy, whatever you say." And we resumed drinking our watered-down Bud Light and watching the girls jiggling their naughty bits.
                  Sometime later, the aforementioned classic rock station was doing a "Block Party Weekend" or some such thing. They played several Steely Dan songs; Kid Charlemagne was one of the songs. I listened intently.
                  "Holy ****************!" I said to myself. "That old guy was right."
                  My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

I'm disheartened at the rejection of my addendum to Jammity's idea.

Comment

I'd be too intimidated - that's one of my fave solos....
                      Dave

Comment

I'm disheartened at the rejection of my addendum to Jammity's idea.

It could be because you're not serious about guitar.
                        Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

Post it. I'm getting a guitar soon and this would be a great way to start over.

Comment

Why doesn't each person play the solo beginning a minor third up from the person before?
                            Or play it as a 10-12 voice canon?
                            Originally Posted by Son of HuHefner

Bush squandered $9 billion a month in Iraq just for lolz.

Originally Posted by Gallus

I have been told that I am the epitome of charm.

Comment

I just started messing with the solo last night.
                              Holy ****************, this is gonna be a challenge.
                              My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

I'd try it! (he says confidently b/c he doesn't remember how the solo goes at all. )
                                Originally Posted by requiem156

Dokken has no album called Storm of Dragons. If they did, the songs would all be about this one dragon who got his heart broken by a mean female dragon. The riffs and solos would be killing, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X