No announcement yet.

Speaking of Steely Dan...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Steely Dan...

How about this. I post a rhythm track of "Kid Charlemagne" and we all cover Carlton's solo. I use to play it. It's not that hard but he thinks up **************** you would never think of. I have transcriptions too. It would be fun in a twisted way.

Anybody else is?
    Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Kazoo solos count?

Comment

Better idea, Jimmy:

Post yourself doing a cover of "Wild Thing". Keep it raunchy, like the Troggs did it, not the cool Hendrix version. Then I take the clip, and add a layer of chords over it, using my own gear, with my own settings. Then keep on passing it around, and have someone else do the same chords on it, until we have about 50 layers of guitars...some in tune, some not, I suppose.

We present our rendition of "Wild Thing" to another worthy forum that will appreciate our work as a peace offering.

What say?

Comment

Better idea, Jimmy:

Post yourself doing a cover of "Wild Thing". Keep it raunchy, like the Troggs did it, not the cool Hendrix version. Then I take the clip, and add a layer of chords over it, using my own gear, with my own settings. Then keep on passing it around, and have someone else do the same chords on it, until we have about 50 layers of guitars...some in tune, some not, I suppose.

We present our rendition of "Wild Thing" to another worthy forum that will appreciate our work as a peace offering.

What say?

I think that would be a good idea, but "Wild Thing?" How about "All Along The Watch Tower?"
        Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

Comment

I think that would be a good idea, but "Wild Thing?" How about "All Along The Watch Tower?"
          No way. Anything more than 4 chords will dilute the impact. We're going for a certain effect here.

4 chords, at least 50 layers for the rhythm tracks. And shredding. We have to have shredding. But all during the same 24 bars. I figure that 8 tracks of shredding during those 24 bars will get the job done.

Comment

Oh yeah...see if anyone plays the Glockenspiel. We'll need a glockenspiel to double the power chords, to give it a little "depth of field".

Comment

One other suggestion: encourage at least 30 of the participants to use their Wah pedals throughout the song. I want people to see what we can do when we put our minds to it...

Comment

I'm having some Phil Spector-like epiphanies here:

Have the remaining 20 use Flangers, as well. Each person can use his own settings.

This will be epic...how do we get this started?

Comment

The Wild thing idea might be a laugh, as for 'Kid charlemagne' theres a Guitar Pro tab that includes the solo, which doesn't sound that hard, but it would take me ages to learn a solo that long...assuming any of this is serious of course.

Comment

Yeah BUT, we ALL have to learn it by ear!!!! No tabs!!!!

I used to do that do in the early 80's, ahmen, before tab. I would love to learn it again, umm, do it again

Find one that's in the right Key and pot it up.
                    PM me about Online One-on-One Guitar Lessons, via Skype and Paypal
                    http://lessons.mikedodge.com
                    http://www.mikedodge.com
                    http://forum.mikedodge.com

Hint for online instructors...play the example in it's entirety, THEN talk about it for 5 minutes.

The only good liberal is a...well, we're still trying to figure out the answer to that one.

Uma is a motorik.

Comment

That'd be cooler than the other side of the pillow.

In other news, I'd pay to hear Jamnity rock some Watchtower.
                      A fool can toss a stone into a pond which a thousand wise men cannot retrieve...

Don't be fatuous, Jeffrey.

Comment

Just post SOMETHING. We don't do this often enough.

Comment

No way. Anything more than 4 chords will dilute the impact. We're going for a certain effect here.

What's the 4th chord in "All Along the Watchtower"?

Comment

What's the 4th chord in "All Along the Watchtower"?

That was going to be my question.
                            My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

Steely Dan rawks!
                              Originally Posted by MahiMahi
                              I wonder what happens to the old donkeys?

Comment

Working...
                              X