No announcement yet.

Ate some of my salmon tonight

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, the catching and the eating.

You read any John Gereich? (however its spelled)

Comment

whoa, really? I was under the impression that you've done a fair amount of fishing.. always catch and release until now?!?

Yeah dude, I fish like 50 times a year, but before this it was all strictly catch and release...I'm not a big fish eater, but salmon is my favorite. I'm not all political about C&R by any means though...I just never did it (keeping and eating) before.

Comment

Nice, the catching and the eating.

You read any John Gereich? (however its spelled)

I have actually met John at a convention and had him sign a book for me. I love his writing style...matter of fact...the reason I fish is because of his books. Someone gave me one and I was so enthralled by the subject matter that I decided to learn to fish.

Actually, Fly Rod and Reel published my letter describing meeting John G (I can't spell it either) a few years ago.

Comment

Yeah dude, I fish like 50 times a year, but before this it was all strictly catch and release...I'm not a big fish eater, but salmon is my favorite. I'm not all political about C&R by any means though...I just never did it before.

dunno why that's so surprising to me, but it is, eating teh catch is pretty much the best part IMO

it's like eating vegetables you grew yourself, etc

Comment

dunno why that's so surprising to me, but it is, eating teh catch is pretty much the best part IMO

it's like eating vegetables you grew yourself, etc

Yeah man, I will be eating a lot more...it was cool.

My main "outdoorsman" goal is to shoot a pheasant (eat it), use it's feathers to tie some flies, catch a fish on one of the flies, then eat it. Full circle.

Comment

My main "outdoorsman" goal is to shoot a pheasant (eat it), use it's feathers to tie some flies, catch a fish on one of the flies, then eat it. Full circle.

haha, nice

Comment

bumping for the lunch crowd...

Freaking salmon...I'm having it with cream cheese on a bagel right now. I can not believe the difference in taste from this fresh caught salmon and the stuff I get in the stores in Denver, simply amazing. I'm jealous of you guys who live on on of the coasts...fresh seafood FTW!

Comment

Yeah man, I will be eating a lot more...it was cool.

You should do a big smelly dump then use it to fertilise your homegrown vegetables.
                  Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

bumping for the lunch crowd...

Freaking salmon...I'm having it with cream cheese on a bagel right now. I can not believe the difference in taste from this fresh caught salmon and the stuff I get in the stores in Denver, simply amazing. I'm jealous of you guys who live on on of the coasts...fresh seafood FTW!

Honestly, I dont know that anything we have in stores is any fresher than what you can get. I know there are plenty of restaurants that get fresh fish from local fishermen so yeah, that is pretty cool.

I dont do a lot of salt water fishing. I grew up near the ocean but we always fished fresh water. I used to fish piers and bridges when I was in high school but we never had money for a boat and none of my friends had one so I just never did much of it.

I do have friends with boats now but still dont get on the ocean much. I do, however, accept the fresh fish they offer me when they get back from fishing and have too much to take home.

A guy just gave me a hunk of swordfish a week or so ago that was as big around as a volleyball and about 3" thick. I cut it up and cooked each piece a different way. Grilled with lemon butter was my favorite.

Fishing has always been a big part of my life. I used to fish A LOT. In high school, I would get up early and go before class and would typically choose fishing for catfish with some friends over keg parties on Friday nights. Man, I have a lot of fishing stories.

Now I am both nostalgic and hungry.
                    MIM Fender Squier Series Tele
                    G&L Tribute Legacy HB
                    Peavey Classic 30

Comment

Honestly, I dont know that anything we have in stores is any fresher than what you can get. I know there are plenty of restaurants that get fresh fish from local fishermen so yeah, that is pretty cool.

I dont do a lot of salt water fishing. I grew up near the ocean but we always fished fresh water. I used to fish piers and bridges when I was in high school but we never had money for a boat and none of my friends had one so I just never did much of it.

I do have friends with boats now but still dont get on the ocean much. I do, however, accept the fresh fish they offer me when they get back from fishing and have too much to take home.

A guy just gave me a hunk of swordfish a week or so ago that was as big around as a volleyball and about 3" thick. I cut it up and cooked each piece a different way. Grilled with lemon butter was my favorite.

Fishing has always been a big part of my life. I used to fish A LOT. In high school, I would get up early and go before class and would typically choose fishing for catfish with some friends over keg parties on Friday nights. Man, I have a lot of fishing stories.

Now I am both nostalgic and hungry.

see, that is what I am talking about...swordfish...oh!

Dude, you need to start fishing again.

Comment

I can not believe the difference in taste from this fresh caught salmon and the stuff I get in the stores in Denver, simply amazing. I'm jealous of you guys who live on on of the coasts...fresh seafood FTW!

I live right on the coast. Everyday I drive by fleets of fishing and shrimp boats docked at the piers. None of their catch goes directly to the big name grocery stores here -- the retailers get all their stuff from big distributors hundreds of miles away, and none of it is fresh by the time it's on display.

Anyway, fresh salmon is awesome. Not as great as a fresh grilled tuna steak, but still awesome.

Comment

You should do a big smelly dump then use it to fertilise your homegrown vegetables.

I wish I hadn't thought along the same lines.

Joseph Jenkins wrote the keystone book on the subject, The Humanure Handbook.
                          Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

Dude, there is nothing like catching fish yourself for food. I dont know why there is such a difference, but there is. I LOVE trout, but only if I catch it myself. I've had it (FRESH!) from the grocery store and it just isnt the same by any means. Best piece of fish I ever had was a trout that came out of the lake and was literally onto the grill up right there lakeside within 30 seconds of being cleaned.

First fish I ever caught was a catfish in Florida. We were visiting my grandma down there. I brought it home, cause I was so proud of it, and my grandma's neighor offered to clean it and cook it for me. Aw, man. Again, no farm raised or store bought fish can match it.

I've never caught a salmon, they arent native to this area, but I am jealous, jealous, jealous. The difference in fresh, wild-caught fish to what you can normally get is incredible.

Comment

Working...
                            X