Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling, warming. It's just a matter of time.

If we speed up the onslaught of one...we also are speeding up the onslaught of the other.

I disagree. You can reach a critical mass in greenhouse gases to where there's a runaway effect.

There are no cycles of hot and cold on Venus. It's 894 degrees in the shade year round, right through our Ice Ages and everything.

Comment

• I disagree. You can reach a critical mass in greenhouse gases to where there's a runaway effect.

There are no cycles of hot and cold on Venus. It's 894 degrees in the shade year round, right through our Ice Ages and everything.

You are convinced that Earth will turn into VEnus?

You repeatedly mention Venus.

I repeatedly mention what has happened throughout OUR planet's history.
      Yes, I hate you.

Comment

• Yeah, semantics.

I'm talking about renewable within the lifetime of the human species.

renewable in 60,000,000 years doesn't really make any difference for me or my great great great great great great grandchildren.

I can see your point about wanting to see more innovation in other areas of renewable energy, but I'm just saying we should be working on that, and conserving what we have at the same time.

If either one of our offspring in 10 generations still use fuels as we do...then everything has failed. I believe in advancements in all fields. I believe that we will be seen as primitive in 100 years. Moreso than people from 1900 seem primitive to us. Much moreso. In fact...I think this conversation that we are having will be a outright comedy goldmine to them. Hopefully they understand 100% of what makes EVERYTHING in this planet tick by then...but I'm not positive they will have it all figured out yet.

And the moon will be farther away still.
        Yes, I hate you.

Comment

• I disagree. You can reach a critical mass in greenhouse gases to where there's a runaway effect.

Venus is a LOT close to the sun than earth.

As one who is so into science, I am sure that you can appreciate that science has shown that the earths distance from the sun has the greatest impact on the ability for life to exist and even flourish here.

Venus is a poor example because it is already much hotter there due to its closer proximity to the sun.
          Any problem can be solved by the suitable application of nuclear weapons.

XT Brotherhood

Comment

• Venus is a LOT close to the sun than earth.

As one who is so into science, I am sure that you can appreciate that science has shown that the earths distance from the sun has the greatest impact on the ability for life to exist and even flourish here.

Venus is a poor example because it is already much hotter there due to its closer proximity to the sun.

You're absolutely wrong here.

I hate to be blunt, but maybe you should actually know what you're talking about before you go telling someone else where they're wrong.

Venus' proximity to the sun, with the Earth's same atomsphere would make it slightly hotter than Earth, but still habitable. If we moved the Earth into Venus' orbit, it would heat up, but it would not heat up to anywhere NEAR Venus' temperature.

The reason why Venus is hot (HOTTER THAN MERCURY WHICH IS REALLLY REALLY CLOSE TO THE SUN!!!) is because of the GREENHOUSE EFFECT. Period.

Comment

• Venus is a LOT close to the sun than earth.

The Venusian atmosphere is also about 90 times more dense than ours... if you stood on the surface of Venus it would be like being under a kilometer of water as far as the pressure goes...

Comparing the climates of Earth and Venus is really pretty nonsensical...
              "KA-BONGGGGG!!!"

- El Kabong

Comment

• Well, global cooling hits us in cycles. We're going to be due for another ice age eventually. That's definitely going to happen one way or another.

In fact, the receding of the last Ice age was the major change that allowed humans to move towards civilization in the first place.

My biggest concern right now is neither global warming or cooling. Lake Michigan and several other Great Lakes are nearing all time low levels, if that continues it could become a major issue.

Comment

• To be fair, we're talking about 96% C02 on Venus, and 0.04% C02 on Earth. Venus' levels of C02 ~= Earth's levels of Oxygen + Nitrogen.

Just throwin' that out there

Comment

• You're absolutely wrong here.

I hate to be blunt, but maybe you should actually know what you're talking about before you go telling someone else where they're wrong.

Venus' proximity to the sun, with the Earth's same atomsphere would make it slightly hotter than Earth, but still habitable. If we moved the Earth into Venus' orbit, it would heat up, but it would not heat up to anywhere NEAR Venus' temperature.

The reason why Venus is hot (HOTTER THAN MERCURY WHICH IS REALLLY REALLY CLOSE TO THE SUN!!!) is because of the GREENHOUSE EFFECT. Period.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/solarsys/s9.htm

He wasn't COMPLETELY wrong. Venus' water never formed into oceans due to being too close to the sun. Oceans absorb C02.

Which is why when ice caps melt and oceans increase...the warming cycle reverses itself on OUR planet.
                    Yes, I hate you.

Comment

• http://www.astronomynotes.com/solarsys/s9.htm

Don't post me websites. I've read more books about this than I can count.

I'm right, period. If you think I'm wrong, please crack a ****************ing book on planetary science Anjinsan, seriously dude, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm coming off the top of my head and telling you why venus is hotter, I don't need to search google.

OOOPS.... MAYBE YOU'RE AGREEING WITH ME.....SORRY, DIDN'T EXPECT THAT!

(I actually clicked the website and saw the greenhouse stuff)

Comment

• Don't post me websites. I've read more books about this than I can count.

I'm right, period. If you think I'm wrong, please crack a ****************ing book on planetary science Anjinsan, seriously dude, this is getting ridiculous.

I'm coming off the top of my head and telling you why venus is hotter, I don't need to search google.

Cool down r0g, that website basically supported what you said about the greenhouse gases

Comment

• The crux of anjinsan's post:

"The diamond at the end describes the current state: CO2 maintains the extremely hot temperature. "

That's what this website says (correctly) is responsible for Venus' high temperature.... which is precisely what I've said all along.

Anyhow, so yeah.

Comment

• Cool down r0g, that website basically supported what you said about the greenhouse gases

Yeah, I edited my post. I'm not used to having someone I'm debating all the sudden agree with me on Guitar Jam.

I've gotten quite reactionary, especially since I seem to draw controversy in a lot of my posts. Sorry Anjinsan!!

Comment

• I'm a member of my local astronomical society and coincidentally enough the lecture the other night was on Venus, where much discussion was given over to - surprise surprise - the science behind its runaway greenhouse effect.
                              Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

• edit.

I really like chicken.
                                Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Working...
                                X