Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sister has a masters degree in chemistry and does not believe the science behind global warming. Would you say that you are more knowledgeable and educated in science than she is?

Prepare to be barraged with posts akin to "Your sister is not a PhD climatologist so they know better than her!"

There's so much politics behind the GW debate any "data" is suspect and I can't see getting worked up over it. Does that mean we shouldn't try to stop polluting the environment though? Of course not!
    "KA-BONGGGGG!!!"

- El Kabong

Comment

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9850473

http://media.npr.org/news/specials/climate/graphics/icecore_graphic.jpg

NPR is not a conservative pro-industry source...and the article certainly does not read as such.

BUT...the levels were higher as short as 120,000 years ago.
      Yes, I hate you.

Comment

The graph is a 20 year period and it shows a steady increase. It also shows a colder global temp in '90 than '08.
        The overall trend is ****************ing obvious.

Believe whatever you want and then try to find any source you can to support your belief, it's the new American way to knowledge and understanding.

This is why it MATTERS that kids are taught SCIENCE without political and religeous interference.

Comment

The graph is a 20 year period and it shows a steady increase. It also shows a colder global temp in '90 than '08.
          The overall trend is ****************ing obvious.

Believe whatever you want and then try to find any source you can to support your belief, it's the new American way to knowledge and understanding.

This is why it MATTERS that kids are taught SCIENCE without political and religeous interference.

Which graph is a 20 year period?

Mine was for a 160,000 year period.

20 years is a useless sample. It's like counting the grains of sand in a cubic centimeter to accurately come up with the grains of sand in Cape Cod.

There are so many variables it's enough to make one's head spin.

and to a previous poster...plants DO emit C02. They die. They release C02 upon death.

Long and short of it. Global warming IF true...is FAR FAR FAR less scary than global cooling. PERIOD.

Life LIKES warmth. Life HATES cold.
          Yes, I hate you.

Comment

20 years is a useless sample. It's like counting the grains of sand in a cubic centimeter to accurately come up with the grains of sand in Cape Cod.

and to a previous poster...plants DO emit C02. They die. They release C02 upon death.

Long and short of it. Global warming IF true...is FAR FAR FAR less scary than global cooling. PERIOD.

I'm referring to the graph in the first article in the initial post. I wasn't addressing your post.

Comment

My sister has a masters degree in chemistry and does not believe the science behind global warming. Would you say that you are more knowledgeable and educated in science than she is?

No offense but a masters in chemistry hardly qualifies her as an expert. The people studying this stuff, many of them at least, are phd level. They've also been studying this one thing for 40 years.
              Originally Posted by Strings74

In many ways I agree with Pontius Pilate.

Originally Posted by Stella Joop

pontius pilot brings up good points.

Comment

Most life has a narrow temperature band that it can live in. Life doesn't like change in either direction.
                http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13929
                http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/58730-fluxusbear.mp3

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I'm out of touch with reality.

Comment

Prepare to be barraged with posts akin to "Your sister is not a PhD climatologist so they know better than her!"

True, I was only referring to roger and his reference to the fact that HE, personally, knows more than the people that he has talked to that don't believe in global warming. I certain understand that their are far more qualified people than my sister who would say that global warming is real and man-made. At the same time there are many qualified people who do not believe in global warming.
                  Barack Obama smells like expired yogurt.

Originally Posted by ChuckyB

I pretty much believe that if a girl has a vagina, she is 90% of the time worth having sex with.

Originally Posted by Gainon10

Freedom is a bitch if you don't have thick skin.

Comment

No offense but a masters in chemistry hardly qualifies her as an expert. The people studying this stuff, many of them at least, are phd level. They've also been studying this one thing for 40 years.

If you would have paid more attention you would have noticed that this was directed at roger who was referring to his personal knowledge and how superior it is when compared to people who do not believe in global warming.
                    Barack Obama smells like expired yogurt.

Originally Posted by ChuckyB

I pretty much believe that if a girl has a vagina, she is 90% of the time worth having sex with.

Originally Posted by Gainon10

Freedom is a bitch if you don't have thick skin.

Comment

Most life has a narrow temperature band that it can live in. Life doesn't like change in either direction.

Life is life.

We are VERY adaptable. a degree or two change every 5 decades or so will do nothing to our odds of survival.

Compare life in a jungle to life at the North pole.

Which area has more?

Even a desert has more life than a brutally cold region like a polar ice cap. and water is the key besides warmth so there is that factor.

Species adapt too. Maybe not as quickly as humans...but they do evolve. A species dies out for another to take it's place.
                      Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Life is life.

We are VERY adaptable. a degree or two change every 5 decades or so will do nothing to our odds of survival.

Compare life in a jungle to life at the North pole.

Which area has more?

Humans are generally an exception, but we also have the advantage of clothing, permanent shelter, etc. Many plants can't live outside a certain temperature band. These plants are used frequently to determine the temperature of periods thousands of years ago, since the frequency of their remains in core samples in relation to the remains of other species can strongly suggest what the temperature range used to be in a certain region.

Comment

Humans are generally an exception, but we also have the advantage of clothing, permanent shelter, etc. Many plants can't live outside a certain temperature band. These plants are used frequently to determine the temperature of periods thousands of years ago, since the frequency of their remains in core samples in relation to the remains of other species can strongly suggest what the temperature range used to be in a certain region.

Sure. But without climate and environmental change there'd of never been any humans at all.
                          Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Sure. But without climate and environmental change there'd of never been any humans at all.

Humans existing is good for humans, not nature in general. And at this point, I'm not sure that climate change would be good for humans either. Nature giveth and nature taketh away.

Comment

Humans existing is good for humans, not nature in general. And at this point, I'm not sure that climate change would be good for humans either. Nature giveth and nature taketh away.

We are either nature's master or we are her most adaptable servants.

She is under no threat from us whatsoever imo so I have us as insignifigant creatures that crawl upon her outer layer of skin. So convinced of our importance...so convinced that we are the masters.

What can WE do to reverse what the planet has done for billions of years? Nothing. We should really stop pretending. I'm not pro-pollution. I am pro-human. Pollution hurts humans. Not the Earth.
                              Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Lets just wipe out 80% of the human population. . .that ought to solve the environmental problems

Comment

Working...
                                X