Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone even read the articles?

It states that the cooling is the result of decreased solar activity for the past year. If next year were to have a return to previous levels of activity, then we're back to exactly where we started. The article is discussing an aspect of climate that is independent of green house gas emissions and their effect on the global temperatures.

If you decrease the fire fueling an oven, it gets cooler. It doesn't change the fact that it's still an oven and is still good at trapping heat. It just means that there is less heat to be trapped.

Anyone who cites this article as "proof" against global warming has no grasp on any of the concepts involved in either global warming or the article.
    www.poparad.com

Comment

*sigh*

Comment

HOW DOES THE CULT OF AL GORE FEEL NOW LOL

BUSH 08

Comment

Did anyone even read the articles?

It states that the cooling is the result of decreased solar activity for the past year. If next year were to have a return to previous levels of activity, then we're back to exactly where we started. The article is discussing an aspect of climate that is independent of green house gas emissions and their effect on the global temperatures.

If you decrease the fire fueling an oven, it gets cooler. It doesn't change the fact that it's still an oven and is still good at trapping heat. It just means that there is less heat to be trapped.

Anyone who cites this article as "proof" against global warming has no grasp on any of the concepts involved in either global warming or the article.

I don't think that anyone in the world has a complete grasp of every factor that determines global warming or cooling.

That is MY issue with all of this.
          Yes, I hate you.

Comment

Half of the world's reserves? Recently their was a discovery off the coast of Argentina of 2 oil fields with an estimated reserve of 600 BILLION barrels of oil each. That is BILLION.

Each field is estimated to be able to sustain the world for 60 years. So their is 120 years worth of oil right there. I am an industry insider and you will not see the media at large cover these kind of finds because it doesn't play well to have good things happen in the energy markets. Assuming we have found half of the worlds reserves when only a fraction of the world has had any exploration is a bit presumptuous.

As for the global warming and ice age theories. I personally don't think that man putting a product composed of materials already found on Earth into the atmosphere is going to change the Earth's climate at all (aside from a full blown nuclear war). History tells us that dramatic environmental changes have occured because of great natural disasters such as massive volcanic eruptions or outside agencies such as meteors hitting the earth. Between the two the outside agency has a lasting impact while the natural disasters have traditionally had short term impact on weather patterns.

PeAcE

Your post contradicts itself. First you say that putting natural stuff into the environment won't affect climate. Then you say that climate has changed due to natural distasters such as volcanoes and ****************. What do you think the volcanos put into the atmosphere if not natural ****************? When an asteroid hits, it causes climate change precisely through the act of causing a ton of natural **************** to leave its natural environment and become displaced into the atmosphere. It just happens super quickly. We're doing the same thing, just slowly over decades and decades.

We really should stop armchair quarterbacking on this important issue. Lets let the scientists sort this stuff out, it's what they do. We read a couple of articles and act like we're ****************ing experts. They've read thousands and thousands of articles, conducted thousands of tests, collaborated with thousands of scientists in dozens of countries (and Al Gore is not exactly a factor in all of them- I doubt the Swiss give a **************** about Al ****************ing Gore), and they have come to a generally recognized consensus. Yes, there is opposition, but it is the minority at this point. I'd rather err on the side of caution personally. It wouldn't kill us to be a little more careful, just in case. I don't get what the big ****************ing deal is.

And to that post about us having enough oil for the next 120 years. OK, then what about after that? A massive culling of the herd? Like it or not, oil is a finite resource. At some point or another (now, in 5 years, in 2 decades, or 120 years from now), we need to start figuring out what to do post-oil.
            Originally Posted by Strings74

In many ways I agree with Pontius Pilate.

Originally Posted by Stella Joop

pontius pilot brings up good points.

Comment

*smacks forehead and hates self for opening thread*

Comment

As for the global warming and ice age theories. I personally don't think that man putting a product composed of materials already found on Earth into the atmosphere is going to change the Earth's climate at all (aside from a full blown nuclear war).

Of course - it's so obvious! Too bad all those guys wasted their time and money getting doctorates in climatology when we could have just asked you in the first place.
                Originally Posted by rusholmeruffian

If hating Glenn Frey is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Originally Posted by Motorik

By saying 'mojo sent' the forumite switches the Christian connotations of 'you're in my prayers' for a different belief paradigm, that of 'mojo': the magical force that compels big-bellied white men to play blues covers while wearing bowling shirts with flames up them, or tribal dragons, or some such ****************.

Comment

They say that coal has enough reserves IN the USA to provide us with energy for 600 years...I think the efforts look good in capturing CO2, liquifying it and
                  embedding it deep in the ground.
                  "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Well, one thing is certain. Eventually, the Sun will expand into a red giant and swallow the earth whole. Billions of years before that, though, thru no fault of our own, the Sun will raise temps on Earth to hundreds of degrees and boil off all water, effectively eliminating life as we know it.

If humanity is to survive, we're gonna need to find a way off this rock

*I realize this is red-herring-ish but there are bigger, badder things happening out there. While I'm not condoning the destruction of our planet, maybe humans are just another sub-blip on the astrological timeline I mean, once humans are extinct, the Earth should recover fairly quickly (again, on the astrological timeline) as long as we haven't killed everything off.

Comment

I'm agnostic on the whole global warming thing (although the evidence for is better than the evidence against from what I can tell). THAT SAID- Global warming is about average temperatures. Any particular cold day, or even cold year is not necessarily strong evidence that there is no global warming. It would take a number of years to demonstrate a change in the average. One year could just be an aberration.
                      The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt

Those who oppose all reform will do well to remember that ruin in its worst form is inevitable if our national life brings us nothing better than swollen fortunes for the few and the triumph in both politics and business of a sordid and selfish materialism.

Comment

They say that coal has enough reserves IN the USA to provide us with energy for 600 years...I think the efforts look good in capturing CO2, liquifying it and
                        embedding it deep in the ground.

Isn't that what plankton do
                        '52 Tele, '70 Strat, '72 Yamaha FG-230 12-string, Taylor 410, Fender P-Bass, Glaesel cello, violin, banjo, 2 trumpets, 2 Yamaha S-90's, Korg CX-3, Nord Electro 3 73, a coupla Yamaha PSR's, a sh!tload of harmonicas and way, way, way too much gear
                        http://www.joeblowmusic.com/
                        http://www.cadillacdawgs.com/
                        Shouldn't "anal retentive" have a hyphen?

Comment

You saw that computer animated polar bear drown!

Do you evil ****************************s want more of that?

Comment

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13929
                            http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/58730-fluxusbear.mp3

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I'm out of touch with reality.

Comment

We've had the warmest january ever over here and february was pretty close. But I'm not a scientist am I?
                              men

Originally Posted by yabba

cuz shut up, that's why

Originally Posted by TomVanDeven

It's the best kind of hurt money can buy.

Comment

Feb 25th it was 92 here
                                '52 Tele, '70 Strat, '72 Yamaha FG-230 12-string, Taylor 410, Fender P-Bass, Glaesel cello, violin, banjo, 2 trumpets, 2 Yamaha S-90's, Korg CX-3, Nord Electro 3 73, a coupla Yamaha PSR's, a sh!tload of harmonicas and way, way, way too much gear
                                http://www.joeblowmusic.com/
                                http://www.cadillacdawgs.com/
                                Shouldn't "anal retentive" have a hyphen?

Comment

Working...
                                X