X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Overrated Guitarists, and Five Underrated

In no particular order,

Overrated:
    1)Albert Lee

If a metal guitarist based replaced all his rhythm playing with rapid arpeggios, he'd be accused of the worst sort of wankery. Yet that's exactly what Albert Lee made his career on. This woodstock wannabe is so overrated it's not funny. [Note: do not confuse with Alvin Lee, who actually did go to woodstock].

2)Les Paul

Mostly famous for having a hot wife and the guitar Gibson put his name on, Les Paul belongs down with the other lower tier jazz guys. If it wasn't for endorsing (not designing, as most people think) a famous product, it would be Les Who?

3)David Gilmour

Never has one guy been so famous for so much stuff he never actually played. Everything he ever "played" that got anyone's attention was cut together with a razor blade in the editing room, often times on a note for note basis. Then of course it was slathered with effects to hide the edits. Voila, instant pseudo-celebrity. Let's give credit where it's due - to the razor blade.

4)Jimi Hendrix

Out of tune, sloppy and stoned were the hallmarks of a Hendrix performance. As a second tier R&B sideman he was right at home. Sadly, he didn't stay put and we had to listen to him.

5)Any "bluesman" with the last name of King

Bad tone, bad playing, and bad songs follow these three like an out of tune hellhound on their respective trails. Take a bunch of ignorant backcountry yokels who can't play, and you get a bunch of ignorant backcountry yokels who can't play - nothing more, nothing less. Simple formula.

Underrated:
    1)Eddie Van Halen

Everything worthwhile in guitar playing since 1979 stems from him. He can't possibly be rated highly enough. Put him at the top of whatever list you're making, and he's still not high enough.

2)John McLaughlin

Everything worthwhile in guitar playing between 1969 and 1979 stems from him or Jimmy Page. He's good enough for Miles Davis, and he's good enough for you.

3)Steve Lukather

Don't like him? Too bad. He's played on everything for 25+ years, and chances are better than 50/50 he was the one who actually played whatever you think is better than him from that time period.

The best in the business. That' why the "A" list is one name long, and he's it.

4)Jimmy Page

As stated in entry 2, his one of the two sources of worthwhile guitar technique in the otherwise meh 70s. He brought the only rock worth talking about for a decade, and that makes him decidedly underrated since far too many people are foolish enough to entertain lesser rock from the period.

5)Any "bluesman" named Stevie Ray Vaughan

He took a genre that was dead due to ignorant musicians with pathetic technique, and turned it into something worth listening to by applying appropriate technique [see 1)]. Anyone who listens to blues from before Texas Flood or anything after that doesn't follow in Stevie's footsteps isn't rating him highly enough.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Or you can try living on the southside of Chicago on eight dollars a month and learn some real blues phrases.

YouTube • Soundclick

Comment

MarkWein.com and Forums
      Study with me on Truefire.com!
      McFeely Custom Guitars Artist

Comment

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA this is an entertaining one.
        Thanks be to God for heavy metal! (But praise be to Satan.)

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I pretty much have the best ears in the business so if I say you sound like Animal Collective Jr then you do.

Web Hosting, VPS, Cloud Backup - http://www.packetforce.net - Coupon code "harm50" for 50% off

Comment

THAT is an EPIC troll!

Comment

There should at least be a rule that you have to have skilz as a troll to be able to stay here.
            tlbonehead@yahoo.com
            www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
            -For Sale:
            -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
            -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
            - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
            - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
            - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

In no particular order,

Overrated:
              1)Albert Lee

If a metal guitarist based replaced all his rhythm playing with rapid arpeggios, he'd be accused of the worst sort of wankery. Yet that's exactly what Albert Lee made his career on. This woodstock wannabe is so overrated it's not funny.

2)

Albert Lee or ALVIN Lee?

Albert:

Alvin:

MarkWein.com and Forums

Comment

Wait......so are the Orcs overrated or underrated as guitar players
                The North remembers...

Comment

Albert Lee or ALVIN Lee?

One went to woodstock. One only desperately wanted to. Figure out which is which, and re-read my post, and you'll have your answer.

Comment

Jimi?

Efff you Wayne.

Go tout your ignorance somewhere else please.
                    Originally Posted by eloydrummerboy

Crab_Cake is right

Originally Posted by sonik

Age would probably be a factor. I imagine the elderly and very young being much easier to tear into.

Comment

One went to woodstock. One only desperately wanted to. Figure out which is which, and re-read my post, and you'll have your answer.

Writing is fundamental.

Try again....have good fun with your ****************fest...

MarkWein.com and Forums

Comment

Jimi?

Efff you Wayne.

Go tout your ignorance somewhere else please.

I'm just the messenger. Jimi was the one who had trouble playing in tune.

Comment

Writing is fundamental.

Try again....have good fun with your ****************fest...

My writing is just fine. You've just confused one with the other. Don't worry, though, they both spent their careers being confused with eachother (even on album credits) and they're both pretty mediocre. If it makes you feel better, pretend Albert is Alvin.

Comment

Oh my, here we go again.

Hendrix > Lukather X 1,000,000,000,000,000

Comment

Oh my, here we go again.

Hendrix > Lukather X 1,000,000,000,000,000

Their respective discographies say you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X