Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple questions for parents of new teen drivers

How long after yout teen got their license did you allow them to drive on busy roads, highways & interstates?

How far from home do you let your kid(s) drive during their first few months with a license?

How did you decide when it was ok to lift restrictions such as above, or is it never ok and you just have to "let go" as a parent?

My oldest kid has had his license for just over a month and this is becoming an an ongoing struggle in our house.
    My Gear
    Schecter Corsair
    TelePartsCaster x3
    Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
    Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
    Vox VT15
    Fender SCXD
    Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
    Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
    Vox AC4C1 amp
    Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

I like that you're optimistic about your kids actually telling you where they've been driving.

Comment

Completely depends on the child and their skill set.

My youngest is very conciencious, we drove with her and she didn't want to move on to the highway until she was ready. Then it was a matter of driving with her for longer distances.

Now (18) she helped drive home from Nashville, drives by herself to northern michigan.

My oldest on the other hand..... she still scares the hell out of me and I worry everytime she borrows my car. She's 21, but didn't get her license right away (failed the driving test the first time).

She's improved a lot though over the last year or so... she followed me from Washington DC back to Indiana. Granted, driving on the highway while following someone isn't the same as driving somewhere and watching the signs yourself, but she could handle the trucks and traffic. Her problem is paying attention and still gets lost in our home town even when I give her turn by turn directions.
      Baimun's big Pickup Clearance on Ebay

Comment

My daughter got her permit as soon as she turned 15. All the driving she did for the first year was with me. She was on busy roads within 4 or 5 days. By the time she got her license she'd been driving for a year. Other than time restrictions imposed by the state, I don't put any restrictions on her.

Comment

My dad taught me to drive starting off-road when I was like 14. When I got my permit at 15 both of my parents let me drive anywhere we went. By the time I was 16 and got my license I was a pretty competent driver (for a 16 year old) and both of my parents were confident in my abilities.
          up in this B.

Originally Posted by CharvelFan, Stackabones, Mercer, jamesp, jelloman and Sad Navigator

Sutto is the man!, I look forward to Sutto's future work., Sutto. . . you're awesome, Sutto is correct., I think Sutto's right again, Sutto speaks the truth...I'mma do something crazy and agree with Sutto.

Comment

How long after yout teen got their license did you allow them to drive on busy roads, highways & interstates?

Before, when they had permits.

How far from home do you let your kid(s) drive during their first few months with a license?

To work, school etc. Not out of state for sure.

How did you decide when it was ok to lift restrictions such as above, or is it never ok and you just have to "let go" as a parent?

When I'd ridden with them enough to know they were comfortable and confident behind the wheel.

My oldest kid has had his license for just over a month and this is becoming an an ongoing struggle in our house.

Does he have his own vehicle or does he want to use yours? If it's yours, and it's your only mode of transportation, then you may want to encourage him to get his own (or buy him one). If he has his own, make sure he's got insurance, and let him drive. He's got to learn sooner or later.

Comment

It was two months before I would let him drive with any friends of the car.

There weren't really any restrictions on what roads he could drive on, though I did ride with him his first few times on a freeway.

Also, that first three months was pretty much just driving to school and back and running errands for us.

He also had a curfew with the car, where he had to be home by 110 PM if he had the car.
              www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

i got my provisional, and passed my test first time within a few months, and on the day i passed my test i went out on motorways with my dad.
                the fact is that if you've passed you're test, you are allowed to drive (duh), the problem is experience.
                my dad went out with me the first few times, but you've really got to elt the driver get out there and do it, cause they're never gonna gain experience by not being able to drive on busy roads, and the longer you put it off, the longer you are waiting to gain valuable experience.

Comment

I got my license at 16 and drove about 120 miles away on my first camping trip just me and a couple friends and some grass and a bottle of Jack.
                  My Last FM
                  My Youtube page
                  BobNod # 11

Comment

Working...
                  X