No announcement yet.

WOT: Kayaking.....Anyone Into This?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT: Kayaking.....Anyone Into This?

A few weeks ago, my wife & I did some kayaking in Lake George, NY.
    We loved it.
    We're going to rent kayaks and spend some time at the Howell, NJ reservoir about 2 + miles from our home this weekend.
    Anyone into kayaking?
    Any advice/pointers?
    i have come to the conclusion that he is some form of god. no mere mortal has that many guitars/pedals/amp/anything. "It boggles my mind. His collection is the most glorious and true expression of GAS.To each his own though. Amazing collection of beauties. It takes some seriously messed up OCD to compile a collection like that.I hate BBreaker. Damn, I hate him.Suck it.We learned that bbreaker is some sort of god. A god of whine.fk this guy.

Yeah, my family goes kayaking once in a while in the White Mountains in northern NH. My personal advice would be to go on rivers, I find it much more fun. As in, I can keep myself awake, not so much on lakes.

Coincidentally, my friend's stepdad just died in a kayaking accident, and now I don't want to go that bad any more
    Stop saying 'pups.' Pick. Ups. Come on, it just sounds dumb.

Guitars:
    2009 PRS SE Singlecut
    2008 American Standard Strat
    2006 Highway One Tele
    2010 Martin DX1E

Comment

Kayaking in the gulf of Mexico is awesome. I go snook fishing in the 'yak all the time.
      We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.

Comment

Resident X-Games junky, marc758 has shown some killer pics of him kayaking...maybe even as his avatar.
        Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

I was on a kayak building kick for asbout 5 years. Built 7or 8 or so boats during that time. I used them alot, but around Florida, since there is no white water, I mostly built touring kayaks for open water, and smaller more maneuverable boats for narrow rivers common in Florida. I made a few hybrid kayak/canoes which were the most versatile of all of them. I use them for fishing, camping, just messing around., I was just thinking today, I am ready to build another one. My last two, the only two I owned at the time, were stolen by one of the most vile low life pieces of **************** I have ever known. Dude was a scumbag disguised as a freind of mine. He also stole my best friend's boat that I was about 75% complete in the build process for him.

So, bitterness aside, what do you want to know about kayaking? I am not an expert, but I know a good deal. Especially if you are talking about building and designing them.

Here is a pic of one of my first builds.

You cant tell from the pics, but the wood has really great figure and the clearcoat finish was sprayed on over the blue dyed wood, giving it an ultra glossy finish like a showcar finish, or actually like a stained guitar, which was the inspiration for the finish. You dont see too many color stained wooden boats. Most are either left natural, or painted.. Looked awesome in the sun when you could see all the grain through the finish, these pics dont show up though...

"You´╗┐ people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:Breedlove Guitars

http://www.ghsstrings.com

http://www.rocktron.com

http://www.monsterenergy.com/

Myspace.com-Dave Aronow

Comment

We've got a couple pretty low end recreation boats (both about 12 foot, plastic). It's a good time, havent' been out this year though. Generally speaking, the longer boats are going to be a bit faster for the same effort and track a little straighter.
            The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt

Those who oppose all reform will do well to remember that ruin in its worst form is inevitable if our national life brings us nothing better than swollen fortunes for the few and the triumph in both politics and business of a sordid and selfish materialism.

Comment

Went kayaking this summer - it was a blast. We really used them as more maneuverable canoes, but that seems to be the trend these days.

Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I love kayaking. I go out on boat trips with my family, and we have a couple of the low end ones on board. I take one out and paddle around an island to get a bit of a workout and some time to myself.
                Originally Posted by danuniversal

Dr. Flamencology, please stop your insulting words.

Originally Posted by lukeswall

what's that acronym you guys use all the time? something to do with hitting it in the butt. I always forget how it goes.

Comment

I have never tried it but it looks like a lot of fun. Whilst out walking earlier this year mrs_huge and I stopped and spent half an hour watching this guy and a few of his pals very evidently enjoying it, despite not exactly being in the first flush of youth:

Comment

NJ reservoir

Don't even think about to go and check the barrage facility (or whatevet it's called). Lot of accidents happen when one of the kayakers has a brilliant idea, let's go to check out this ship, this concrete something, etc....

It will be fun, I'm sure.

At home (HUN), we had the second biggest river at 200 m at the end of the streets. My parents never really lt us to go on water, but we did quite often with a friend of mine.

At our actual home (HUN) close the Danube (400 m), I would never dare to go on water, way too much traffic.

At my residential area (LUX) there are nice, small rivers, so I do kayak every summer, but not as often as I would like too.

The best spot I had the chance to kayak was the Soca river in Slovenia, strongly advised for all EU fellows.

http://images.hostelworld.com/images/tours/39244_8452_1.jpg (it's not me, but check out the colour of the water)

DaveArronow: I really like your kayak, kudos!
                    "It's all sratched up, Zuzu"Your wattage may vary

Comment

Damn Dave, that is a beautiful boat.

I've done a fair amount of sea/lake kayaking.

If you're in a sea kayak and roll it over, exit the cockpit by rolling yourself out FORWARD. I learned this one the hard way.

If you want to tackle whitewater, I suggest getting some instruction and start with the easy stuff. My neighbor got some whitewater gear and, with the encouragement of some more experienced paddlers, went straight to a class IV/V river. He had his second maxillofacial surgery last year.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

Working...
                      X