Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any experience with Anxiety Disorders?...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any experience with Anxiety Disorders?...

...I am pretty sure I have an Anxiety Disorder of some sort. I woke up this morning with fluttering heart, cold sweat, hot flashes...I felt like I was gunna die. I spent most of the day in a state of exhausted dread. I never had anxiety until about a year ago. Then I was fine until january, when I had an attack that kept me up all night...

...anywho, I think its time to get professional help...I was just wondering if anyone else has had anxiety problems or anything like that...what was the treatment?...
    Member of the Artcore Corps

Originally Posted by Abrasion

Is there anything worse than putting too much milk in your tea?

Originally Posted by Gainon10

Auschwitz was worse, I'd imagine. Just off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by sonik

All they had was Lipton.

Yes, definetely seek professional help.

I wonder, though, what brought this on? Change of job/school?

Living situation changed?

Comment

Yes, definetely seek professional help.

I wonder, though, what brought this on? Change of job/school?

Living situation changed?

...I think it was just compound repression triggered by desperation...I dont have a real job persay, I teach guitar lessons independently, and make enough to get by...but ive run into alot of people from high school, who just graduated college (i dropped out)...and they all have these great jobs, sports writing, engineer, premed student, accountants, teachers, play by play announcers, and I havnt accomplished anything...so Ive been trying to legitimize myself, and the more jobs I get turned down for, the closer to the edge I get...Im danglin i suppose...

All they had was Lipton.

Comment

Yeah. I'm pretty sure I have developed an undiagnosed Anxiety-type disorder. All the physical uglies you described. Some self-harming behaviors. And about 2 years ago a really ugly depressive episode that pushed me into the ideation and planning stages. I totally suck at managing stress thanks to being a perfectionist. I think a lot of this has to do with the whole adult children of alcoholics cycle -- both my parents had drunks for dads, and in my mom's case it was a really nasty situation. None of this was every addressed forthrightly, and I think I learned some really bad habits about how to be. I caught the hyper-responsibility bug.

I'm *this* close to seeking out some sort of pro tips. But, ironically, I currently don't have time to do it right, so I'm putting it off.
        Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

Coda: I am a licensed mental health professional - have been treating anxiety disorders for 10 years.The most common are panic disorder, generalized anxiety, post-traumatic stress, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and specific phobias. No way of knowing what you have or how to treat it without completing an assessment and interview. Psychotherapy, sometimes in conjunction with meds is standard treatment.
          When I was younger I had really terrible panic attacks myself for a few months. Tried meds briefly but didn't want to depend on them. Therapy helped. The best treatment for me was knowing that 1) they are very common and the physical sensations you are experiencing are the normal response of the bodies fight and flight system, 2) as bad as they are, they will go away - don't fight them,try to accept them and remember they'll pass 3) you are not going "crazy" even though you think you might be.

In conclusion, seek out some counseling. A good counselor will recommend different treatments and you can decide how to proceed together. Good luck and remember you will get better! Anxiety disorder are very treatable.

Comment

Xanax.

Comment

Xanax.

...I would like to stay as far from meds as I can...I studied Psychology in High School/ College, and i'd much prefer a therapeutic solution...

All they had was Lipton.

Comment

Coda: I am a licensed mental health professional - have been treating anxiety disorders for 10 years.The most common are panic disorder, generalized anxiety, post-traumatic stress, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and specific phobias. No way of knowing what you have or how to treat it without completing an assessment and interview. Psychotherapy, sometimes in conjunction with meds is standard treatment.
                When I was younger I had really terrible panic attacks myself for a few months. Tried meds briefly but didn't want to depend on them. Therapy helped. The best treatment for me was knowing that 1) they are very common and the physical sensations you are experiencing are the normal response of the bodies fight and flight system, 2) as bad as they are, they will go away - don't fight them,try to accept them and remember they'll pass 3) you are not going "crazy" even though you think you might be.

In conclusion, seek out some counseling. A good counselor will recommend different treatments and you can decide how to proceed together. Good luck and remember you will get better! Anxiety disorder are very treatable.

This, though any irregularities in your heart rate/pressure should be addressed by your doctor as well.

Comment

Don't compare yourself to others (I know, easier said then done). Just try to be the best you that you can be. I used to think that I'd accomplished nothing in life (I'm a multiple college dropout) but I'm making things work for me. I have a decent job in an office where I make enough to live on and have a little disposable income. Sure beats working at McDonald's.
                  Rock over London. Rock on Chicago. Polaroid, see what develops.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

You're an amazing and wonderful human being. You deserve better. That woman isn't good enough for you.

Originally Posted by CountGrishnackh

Ug. Drank too much. Feel the need to eat the worth for 3 men now. Chunk, you are a bad ass.

Originally Posted by differentman

I wish the original Zeppelin had been all girls. Then my time spent masturbating to them wouldn't be so gay.

Comment

Talking to someone is a great place to start. Make sure you feel comfortable with your therapist - if you don't, don't be afraid to find somebody else. As far as where to go, it depends on your funds and insurance. if you don't have much money or don't have insurance, there are several clinics that will provide services on a sliding fee scale.

Comment

...I would like to stay as far from meds as I can...I studied Psychology in High School/ College, and i'd much prefer a therapeutic solution...

No, not for that. A xanny and a few beers is a good time.

Comment

Don't compare yourself to others

This is smart. It's probably at the root of a lot of my stress. No matter how much schooling you got, how much money you make, what kind of vacations you take, what sort of crap you buy, what "accomplishments" you rack up, if you're in the business of comparing yourself to other people you'll be a big sack of dissatisfied.

*frets that he should of posted this first rather than waiting and letting Chunk look all smart*
                        Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

chase certainly makes a great point. it is important to determine if the causes are from a generalized medical condition. if you see a therapist, they will almost always strongly recommend that you see a physician for an evaluation.

Comment

This is smart. It's probably at the root of a lot of my stress. No matter how much schooling you got, how much money you make, what kind of vacations you take, what sort of crap you buy, what "accomplishments" you rack up, if you're in the business of comparing yourself to other people you'll be a big sack of dissatisfied.

*frets that he should of posted this first rather than waiting and letting Chunk look all smart*

...its not a side by side comparison really...more of a "I had better grades than these people, but they are doing what they want, and living, and I am scraping together pennies for groceries"...I could care less about what they do, I just feel I made a wrong turn somewhere...

All they had was Lipton.

Comment

I learned through experience. I used to be a big sack of dissatisfied until I realized that I was doing well for myself and that things could be worse (and they were much worse). I've managed to eliminate the majority of my stress and now I can appreciate the things I have instead of dwell on the things I don't.
                              Rock over London. Rock on Chicago. Polaroid, see what develops.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

You're an amazing and wonderful human being. You deserve better. That woman isn't good enough for you.

Originally Posted by CountGrishnackh

Ug. Drank too much. Feel the need to eat the worth for 3 men now. Chunk, you are a bad ass.

Originally Posted by differentman

I wish the original Zeppelin had been all girls. Then my time spent masturbating to them wouldn't be so gay.

Comment

Working...
                              X