X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amsterdam

Inspired by the San Fran vaca thread...

So it looks like I'm heading to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations, etc etc.
    RobRoy
    'Course, I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Visconti
    I vowed if Jug & Plugs win a second term I would leave the forum never to return, but my good name "Visconti" will be in good standing and I always keep my promise.

Prostitutes
    Seriously though, some of them look like Maxim models

Comment

The Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum are pretty badass if you like art.

The red light district is a trip, of course.

Have fun. Be safe. I recommend that people stay away from the hard drugs. I wouldn't want to be on those in an unfamiliar country.

Comment

cake
        PM me about Online One-on-One Guitar Lessons, via Skype and Paypal
        http://lessons.mikedodge.com
        http://www.mikedodge.com
        http://forum.mikedodge.com

Hint for online instructors...play the example in it's entirety, THEN talk about it for 5 minutes.

The only good liberal is a...well, we're still trying to figure out the answer to that one.

Uma is a motorik.

Comment

Yeah, as an artist in my own right I'll definitely try to hit a few museums. I'll probably pass through the RLD and I'm not interested in hard drugs. I'd probably get killed by a fleet of bicyclists.
          RobRoy

Visconti
          I vowed if Jug & Plugs win a second term I would leave the forum never to return, but my good name "Visconti" will be in good standing and I always keep my promise.

Comment

cake

Well I'll go anywhere for cake.
            RobRoy

Visconti

Comment

The Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum are pretty badass if you like art.

The red light district is a trip, of course.

Have fun. Be safe. I recommend that people stay away from the hard drugs. I wouldn't want to be on those in an unfamiliar country.

In all honesty, 'hard drugs' are really no easier to find in Amsterdam than in any other big European city. They're illegal in Holland, as well.

It's fun and somewhat surreal to order killer bud and hash in an environment like The Bulldog, but the novelty soon wears off and you'll simply want to find the best quality for the cheapest price.

Regardless, hard drugs aren't being sold out in the open in Amsterdam. On a nice day, you may find a few food carts selling herring and sour cream, however...

Comment

Museums are cool and there are plenty of other things to do in Amsterdam. A good guidebook will guide ya.

The Red Light District is a creepy affair, a blight on an otherwise gorgeous city. If your sole purpose is to go there to just indulge in hookers/hash, stay home and support your own local scumbags. No reason to get a passport and take a long flight just to do that.

Haarlem is a pleasant side trip, and you can actually get a little better prices on accommodations. Train ride between the two cities isn't too bad iirc -- 15 to 20 minutes.

Comment

Most folks enjoy at least checking out LDR. It's a safer enviroment than your average European city, but better avoid the side streets at night if you move alone.

I recommend to not just get stuck in the center, also the Artis zoo was nice.

(For the best weed it's good to do a lil' research beforehand)
                  WÜ
                  Arsenal
                  Family Portrait

Comment

Im not interested in paying for sex, so I'll just stick to window shopping

I'll definitely take advantage of the coffee shops. Why not?
                    RobRoy

Visconti

Comment

There's a tour in the RLD that shows you all the interesting things you wouldn't see on your own. They show you all the good stuff people usually don't get to see. It's supposed to be pretty cool. I don't know what it's called, though.

Than there's the standard stuff like the Van Gogh museum, the Anne Frank museum and, because Amsterdam likes to cash in on tourists, the sex and weed museums.

Stay away from the drugs that isn't being sold in the coffeeshops. It's only legal in those shops. As been said, hard drugs are illegal over here. You can legally buy weed up to 5 grams and certain types of mushrooms. Just don't get ****************ed up on drugs and jump of a bridge. That happens enough with tourists who don't know their limit.
                      It's All Gravy

Comment

[QUOTE=hwaorang;40542149

Just don't get ****************ed up on drugs and jump of a bridge. That happens enough with tourists who don't know their limit.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the first time you have cake you might want to split it with your partner before killing one on your own.
                        PM me about Online One-on-One Guitar Lessons, via Skype and Paypal
                        http://lessons.mikedodge.com
                        http://www.mikedodge.com
                        http://forum.mikedodge.com

Hint for online instructors...play the example in it's entirety, THEN talk about it for 5 minutes.

The only good liberal is a...well, we're still trying to figure out the answer to that one.

Uma is a motorik.

Comment

Try to catch a show at the Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ, or the Bimhuis if you're into jazz.

The museums are nice, like others have already mentioned. The Stedelijk Museum is still closed for renovation afaik.

The red light district is a pretty sordid affair. I guess it's worth it to go just to say you've been there. It's actually pretty touristy and by extension not really dangerous at all, but beware of pick-pockets.

Have a look at this site for info regarding current and upcoming events and festivals. Looks like De Parade (a theatre festival) will be in Amsterdam for most of August; I've seen it in Utrecht, it's pretty cool, but most of the performances will be in Dutch.

And, like others have already mentioned, weed is available in every "coffeeshop," but hard drugs are just as illegal as they are everywhere else, and will get you in just as much trouble.

Comment

Last year I've been on my first trip over there. I enjoyed the Van Gogh Museum quite a bit. Other than that we just hung out in the city, which is fun on its own.

If you're planning on visiting the Red Light District, don't take pictures of the women. You WILL end up in the river.

Comment

If you're planning on visiting the Red Light District, don't take pictures of the women. You WILL end up in the river.

This is good advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X