Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to McDonald's for the first time in 5+ years

When you live in Los Angeles, there is absolutely no reason to go to McDonald's. First off, if you want fast food, you're never more than a five-minute drive from a decent taco stand or truck. If you must have a burger, locally-based In-N-Out, Carl's Jr., and Jack in the Box all beat the **************** out of McDonald's, in every way imaginable.

However, I'm not in Los Angeles anymore. I work in an office building on the outskirts of downtown Bethesda, MD, too far away from the restaurant cluster just west of Wisconsin Avenue to make a 30-minute lunch break viable. Most days I bring my lunch anyway, since that saves over $50/month in meal expenses. Today, though, I didn't bring a sack lunch, and since I took the Metro to work I couldn't drive anywhere. Since the local combination Vietnamese-restaurant-and-Blimpie (seriously) closed down a couple months back, my within-walking-distance meal options have shrunk to the following:

1. The deli at Safeway
    2. Booeymonger, a slightly overpriced and generally uninspiring sandwich shop
    3. McDonald's

After ten months of resistance, I finally gave in and went to McDonald's. I got an Angus Deluxe with no cheese and no mayo, fries, and a soda.

Observations:
    1. I'd forgotten how ****************ty McDonald's fries are. I guess I've been spoiled by Five Guys.
    2. Even among the national fast food chains, the Angus Deluxe is weaksauce. I'd take a Wendy's or Burger King burger in a heartbeat over it. Compared to Five Guys it's trash.
    3. Within twenty minutes I had indigestion.

Conclusion: I'm not going back to McDonald's any time soon.
    Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

You should have taken the McDonald's burger back to your office and throw it right in the toilet. It is going there an hour after you eat it anyway, and you skip the stomach pain by not eating it.

I haven't eaten in McDonald's in year either, but a week ago I was rushing from one plane to catch another and the only thing along the way was McDonald's. Grabbed a McRib, but pitched it after only two bites - yuck!
    Originally Posted by customtele

Bottom line: the Strat is the prom queen of the family and the Tele is the slutty sister. Nuttin' like a good slut!

Comment

When you live in Los Angeles, there is absolutely no reason to go to McDonald's. First off, if you want fast food, you're never more than a five-minute drive from a decent taco stand or truck. If you must have a burger, locally-based In-N-Out, Carl's Jr., and Jack in the Box all beat the **************** out of McDonald's, in every way imaginable.

However, I'm not in Los Angeles anymore. I work in an office building on the outskirts of downtown Bethesda, MD, too far away from the restaurant cluster just west of Wisconsin Avenue to make a 30-minute lunch break viable. Most days I bring my lunch anyway, since that saves over $50/month in meal expenses. Today, though, I didn't bring a sack lunch, and since I took the Metro to work I couldn't drive anywhere. Since the local combination Vietnamese-restaurant-and-Blimpie (seriously) closed down a couple months back, my within-walking-distance meal options have shrunk to the following:

1. The deli at Safeway
      3. McDonald's

After ten months of resistance, I finally gave in and went to McDonald's. I got an Angus Deluxe with no cheese and no mayo, fries, and a soda.

Observations:
      1. I'd forgotten how ****************ty McDonald's fries are. I guess I've been spoiled by Five Guys.
      2. Even among the national fast food chains, the Angus Deluxe is weaksauce. I'd take a Wendy's or Burger King burger in a heartbeat over it. Compared to Five Guys it's trash.

Mckey D's=Teh Poop.
      Originally Posted by chainsaw fats
      Can I drink your piss?

Great people: d_dave_c, wbcsound.

Comment

McD's fries are fantastic. stop the snobbism.
        Originally Posted by Motorik

If I were a boxer my walk-in music would be 'Do You Really Wanna Hurt Me?"

Originally Posted by vikingrat

America because we have more dead people on Mt Everest and we have Lake Tahoe which the native Asians believed to be the mouth way to hell. Also Blackmore, Malmsteen, Page, Hackett, Howe, Fripp etc were all born in America. Futhurmore the best bands to come out of the British Invasion wre Americans. We also have fat homeless people.

Comment

McD's fries are fantastic. stop the snobbism.

Maybe they still fry 'em in beef tallow in Brazil, or at least the soybean oil with beef tallow flavor extract that they used ~1990-2005 here, but they're pretty damned terrible here.
          Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

Seriously, it's not that bad. It's not great, and pretty bad for you, but edible if you don't mind hot, greasy "food."

Mostly, your problem seems to be that you're a wuss, fast food-wise. oke:
            Originally Posted by Shane Marley

I'm Richard Simmons' pool boy.

Comment

Seriously, it's not that bad. It's not great, and pretty bad for you, but edible if you don't mind hot, greasy "food."

Mostly, your problem seems to be that you're a wuss, fast food-wise. oke:

Wrong. I eat cheek meat (cabeza) from taco trucks.

Go on a taco crawl across Northeast Los Angeles. Learn and return.

Comment

Cool story, bro.
                Originally Posted by Crab_Cake

That said I cannot stand animal cruelty, especially against friends of humanity. These include horses, dogs, chimps, and to a lesser extent dolphins.

Great band.

Originally Posted by sonik

little african girl machete gang victims

Everybody Hates Miserycast

Comment

The McD's in LA are better than the ones in MD. Everything is. Even dying in LA is better.

Comment

Cool story, bro.

It was light on the transportation jargon but I figured that the geographic specificity would touch you in all the right spots.

Comment

It was light on the transportation jargon but I figured that the geographic specificity would touch you in all the right spots.

It gave me a thrombone but the story was ultimately too melodramatic.

4/10
                      Originally Posted by Crab_Cake

That said I cannot stand animal cruelty, especially against friends of humanity. These include horses, dogs, chimps, and to a lesser extent dolphins.

Great band.

Originally Posted by sonik

little african girl machete gang victims

Everybody Hates Miserycast

Comment

I don't mind my McD's on occasion - it unleashes some primordial feelings of comfort (I guess because it was a somewhat "forbidden fruit" that my mother would take me to indulge in, over the objections of my dad). And I love their fries, knowing that they aren't "the best". I love other types of fries too. All subjective.

What really gets me is the price. It drives me batty when people say they "can't afford to eat healthy food - I can get a McDonald's lunch for $6." Well, that doesn't ring true for me (location Canada, specifically GTA [Greater Toronto Area].)

First off, I can't get lunch at McD's for $6. Maybe I'm a hog, but I need two of their sandwiches plus a large fries to get me out of the gate. That runs about $11. For that price, I can get . . . oh, three Vietnamese subs, plus a soup if I want, and have change left. Or, if I want burger and fries, it actually costs me less at a joint I like called Craft Burger for an organic beef burger (big enough to satisfy, with gorgonzola, roasted peppers, & caramelized onions if I'm feeling insouciant) , fries, and a Jone's rootbeer. Upsize it to a poutine . . . about the same price as McD's.

Oh, one could argue those aren't healthy choices . . . but the Vietnamese subs? Well, they are, esp. for fast food options. And the burger / poutine? Well, they are healthier choices for the environment (did I just say that) than the McD option, given the supply chain involved there.

All told - yep, I do love me some McD's on occasion.

Comment

Yeah I'm in Canada too and McD's isn't any particular deal price-wise. My wife and I and our two boys can eat there for about $23. That same $23 will get us two reasonably good X-large 2 topping pies and we'll have enough leftover for everyones lunch the next day.

Rotten Ronnie's can on occasion taste really good. You have to get lucky and get your order really fresh and hot off the grill (so to speak). If it sits for more than about a minute the food starts to devolve into a freakish primordial goo. On average the food at Burger King is much better.

I still eat too often at McDonalds though - maybe every two weeks or so. Theres just always one in sight and I'm often in a hurry to get something while I'm working. I'd say I enjoy it maybe one in every 7 or 8 visits.

Comment

1. The deli at Safeway
                            3. McDonald's

Observations:

Are you talking about the Safeway about a block from the Bethesda metro station on Old Georgetown Rd?
                            Originally Posted by requiem156

I don't have to find something to dislike - it comes naturally.

Comment

I have an aunt who has never been to Mc Donalds. Truth.
                              Originally Posted by Notes_Norton

I'm sorry for the rant, but death threats, hate mail, and hundreds of pizzas not picked up really irks me.

Originally Posted by Mossy Moss

I liked you better as your previous alt. Now you're just a giant walking vagina filled with sand and yeast.

Comment

Working...
                              X