No announcement yet.

So I saw Better Than Ezra last night.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I saw Better Than Ezra last night.

A friend won free tickets on a mailing list that gives out 3 a week. It was at Mr. Smalls in ****************sburgh (And I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Especially this time of year. What a drab city.)

It was a good show. Solid, catchy, 90's pop/rock. The opening act was also a New Orleans based band. Drums, bass, (mostly) funk guitar, Trombone/lead singer, Trumpet/back-up singer. The horn/singing section had old motown-esque dance moves and swagger. They come off mostly like a Parliament-Funk type band. Really entertaining to watch.

Then BTE came on and did a great job. The trombone player came out for the last two songs and the mix was really cool with the trombone and the 'rock'.

Almost didn't go. Glad I did. Thought I'd share. I hope Better Than Ezra isn't too mundane.
    ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Originally Posted by LeftyTom

I wouldn't want to be in any woman who wants me in her.

Originally Posted by Brocktoon

[Baron85's nickname:] Mommy's Little Man

Originally Posted by dmn23

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

jesus, they're still around?

Comment

I didnt think anybody from outside Louisiana still knew about those guys

Comment

jesus, they're still around?

What he said.
        Though i did see them in the 90's and didn't mind them.
        Was it all new stuff or mostly their old stuff?
        Good Deals with: Brim & hemispheres

Comment

Did they play "Desparately Wanting" or were they too cool?
          I made the mistake of including the name of the band I was in at the time I started my account here, but a lot of my friends really do call me "gibby"...
          My guitfiddle vidyas
          Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Gibby McFender
          Good trades with: jnapruitt, jelloman, emptyparadigm, teleman, atrox, Norcal_Gtr, Cale 76, Moops, Fart Murphy, gutterking, npidge, shimrod69, HickorySMOKES

bassist for Fools For Rowan. Check us out!

Comment

The shelf life for most of these 90's bands wasn't that long.
            Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

Goddammit, I saw Ezra.
              CONTAINS TRACE AMOUNTS OF ROCK AND COUNTRY. South Bound LaneHC 3.0 -- Making you miss HC 2.0

Comment

Goddammit, I saw Ezra.

I made the mistake of including the name of the band I was in at the time I started my account here, but a lot of my friends really do call me "gibby"...
                My guitfiddle vidyas
                Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Gibby McFender
                Good trades with: jnapruitt, jelloman, emptyparadigm, teleman, atrox, Norcal_Gtr, Cale 76, Moops, Fart Murphy, gutterking, npidge, shimrod69, HickorySMOKES

bassist for Fools For Rowan. Check us out!

Comment

Did they play "Desparately Wanting" or were they too cool?

They played it. Towards the end, but I don't believe it was their finale. Or maybe it was...?
                  ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

Comment

j-j-j-juicy
                    geetarz: Nashville Tele w/Fralin and Lollars, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Music Man Luke w/piezo, Music Man Albert Lee HH
                    mapz: Mesa Mark V, Jet City JCA50H, Mesa Mini-Rectifier
                    efx and such: RC Booster, BB Preamp, Nova System

Comment

When they first started getting some play, I kind of thought that they were okay - sounded good on the radio, I guess.

Then I saw them in '05 at Janus Landing in St. Pete because I was on vacation and they were playing - and I was completely won over. The songs are pop/rock, but they play everything like they are just having fun playing them - with a couple of thousand friends. They're great musicians, aren't afraid of being goofy (KG had an interlude where he just played famous rock and roll guitar solos), and really look like they're having a great time. It was one of the best shows that I've ever seen, just because.

So much so that we went back down to St. Pete the next year just to see them again and they delivered.

Fun band - not deep or the greatest thing ever, but they sure put on a great show.

(Their records are hit and miss, but the really great songs outweigh the filler by about 2 to 1).

They're still going strong - even if they're not all in New Orleans anymore.

Great band.
                      What lasts is what you start with - C Bukowski

Comment

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. You're "rock solo interlude" reminded me. There was a part where they were just messing around and played the intro to 3-4 Rush songs in a row, like Limelight, YYZ, and ****************. Then he said they watch the documentary too much on the bus. It was pretty cool, they did a good job on them and I found myself wishing they'd do the whole song lol. I think "BTE Does Rush" would be a hell of a concert. But seriously, it would be.
                        ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Comment

I think at one point in one of their shows they played a bunch of bit parts to Blue Oyster Cult songs - I remember "Don't Fear the Reaper" and maybe "Burnin' for You" - Just guys with guitars having fun. That's a good thing. A sense of humor is a good thing on stage in front of a bunch of people - Still, they play stuff like "Special" (my favorite song by them) or "In the Blood" - that brings it all back...

They def. have the songs - but they also don't seem to take everything too seriously. I hope that they keep on doing what they do (and come back to Ohio someday - ).

Yeah.
                          What lasts is what you start with - C Bukowski

Comment

I think at one point in one of their shows they played a bunch of bit parts to Blue Oyster Cult songs - I remember "Don't Fear the Reaper" and maybe "Burnin' for You" - Just guys with guitars having fun. That's a good thing. A sense of humor is a good thing on stage in front of a bunch of people - Still, they play stuff like "Special" (my favorite song by them) or "In the Blood" - that brings it all back...

They def. have the songs - but they also don't seem to take everything too seriously. I hope that they keep on doing what they do (and come back to Ohio someday - ).

Yeah.

I know this is gonna get me banished from the cool table but I have always loved these guys. I liked them when the first and second albums came out and became a full on Ezralite after seeing them live.

They almost always somehow put "In The Blood" with "Don't Fear The Reaper". The chords just match up too perfectly not to.
                            Originally Posted by axuality
                            What does the quality of Harvard have to do with this? You don't want to make the common mistake of Liberalism by thinking that education makes one smarter.

Comment

I saw them in a small club years ago. They were really good. Trio, correct? That's what I remember anyhow.
                              Visit Crash Pad at:
                              http://CrashPadBand.com
                              CONSUME!:
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/crashpad
                              Gear List/Pics:
                              https://sites.google.com/site/briankrashpad/

Comment

Working...
                              X