Any Turntable and Vinyl Users?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Turntable and Vinyl Users?

I have two older Technics turntables upstairs and am looking to get a new unit for downstairs. Although I have CDs and MP3s, I mostly listen to vinyl. Any recommendations for a new turntable? What do you folks use?
    Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

I have a Music Hall mmf-5. I highly recommend.

This is their equivalent version today:

The music hall mmf-5.1 turntable is a two speed belt driven audiophile turntable employing the unique dual-plinth construction originated by music hall. The distinctive design isolates the critical sound reproducing components; platter, main bearing, tonearm, and cartridge on the top platform from the motor, switch, wiring, and feet which are mounted on the bottom platform. Viso-elastic cones separate the two platforms and provide vibration damping. The mmf-5.1 comes complete with cartridge mounted.

* music hall

I'm happy with my Rega P-1. Good sound and good price. http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p1.htm
      Originally Posted by aepoc

... am I quoted in anyone's sig? I thought I saw my name in someone's, but I was wrong... so it got me wondering. Anyone?

I don't know about new ****************. I looked for, researched, and bought old vintage equipment. I have a 70s AIWA table going into a Marantz 2238. It works just fine. I'm far from an audiophile. I believe both pieces were around $100 give or take from Craigslist/Ebay.
        ...That's what she said.

Originally Posted by LeftyTom

I wouldn't want to be in any woman who wants me in her.

Originally Posted by Brocktoon

[Baron85's nickname:] Mommy's Little Man

Originally Posted by dmn23

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

This place is good if you plan on going used. http://www.audiogon.com/
          Originally Posted by aepoc

... am I quoted in anyone's sig? I thought I saw my name in someone's, but I was wrong... so it got me wondering. Anyone?

Lots of vinyl, sadly no turntable anymore. It died on me and ive no real need to get a new one. I sometimes wish I had one though.
            'Mama, just nearly killed a man, put a gun against his head, changed my mind and went to bed'.

I've got a Rega Planar 3 which I've had for about twenty years. I like the simplicity but if you switch between playing 45's and albums you might find lifting the platter and moving the drive belt a pain.

I'd simply scour secondhand resources, there's plenty of people with turntables gathering dust in the attic. Budget for fitting a new cartridge though, whatever the seller claims.
              A l'eau; c'est l'heure

Another vote for Rega! I have hardly given it a thought since I set it up 11 years ago. It just keeps working and sounds great.

"it aint nothin' but a jam"
                -Jimi Hendrix 10-10-68

I have a Pro-Ject debut III that I love

I have no idea what make/model my current turntable is . I bought a practically brand new usb turntable at a garage sale a few years ago after the Yamaha I had for about 15 years finally died.

Mine is a newer belt drive Sony. It is above mediocre, but won't play 78's. I have it hooked through Roland studio monitors. If I had money, and space; my stereo system would be amazing, alas I have neither, and what I do have is reserved for Music MAKING gear.
                      Moser Templar Wraith
                      BC Rich USA Warlock 1986
                      BC Rich Shorthorn Koa Mockingbird Bass 1978
                      BC Rich MIK BSM Warlock II
                      Gibson SG Standard 1993
                      Fender USA Standard Stratocaster 1996
                      Peavey USA Foundation Bass 1983

Originally Posted by vikingrat

I was there. I am epic. I am VIKINGRAT.

Originally Posted by carvinlegacy99

And although it has "metal" in the name, hair metal will always be an enemy of heavy metal.

Technics SL B202 here, but I haven't had it hooked up in years.

SUPER EVIL INDUSTRIES
                        SUPER EVIL FORUMS
                        Facebook ~ sonik777@hotmail.com
                        "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Originally Posted by Jimmy James

I have the gift of musical tolerance.

I have a Pro-Ject debut III that I love
                          I just saw one of these on blowout at Best Buy for $99 which seems like a deal. Supposedly regularly $369. I may go back and pick it up if it is still there.
                          Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

Just got a Goldring Lenco thing. Needs a new cartridge though, but I'm having difficulties finding out what will be compatible
                            My Songs Rising of the Lights

Just saw this thread.

I've got Rush's Permanent Waves spinning right now.

I'm running a Linn Axis loaded with the Akito tone arm. This all goes thru a Naim Nait II ampand smoe Mission 760Ise's

The Linn and Naim were bought second hand about 15 years ago but still work perfectly. Most of my good collection is on vinyl.