Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

While doing some research I discovered something sinister...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While doing some research I discovered something sinister...

I realize I'm the only one here who cares about this ****************. This is more interesting to me than sucking down beers and describing it's texture, or remodeling the office.

John Goodsall was the guitarist for Brand X with Phil Collins and went on to be in a handful of fusion projects and did sessions up the wazoo. He never got credit for the majority of his session work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Goodsall

"Many of Goodsall's works as a studio 'Session' guitarist have not been credited or listed on record sleeves i.e. Billy Idol tracks 'Rebel Yell' and 'Eyes Without A Face'. Billy Idol's band were credited but the tracks were actually played by session musicians hired by producer Keith Forsey. Notice the official video for title track 'Rebel Yell,where Idol's band guitarist mimes to John's track. He wrongly hits the tremolo arm at the end of the guitar solo. Goodsall actually created the signature 'machine-gun' effect there by beating down the neck of a Strat with his knuckles."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atomic-rooster/message/2273

"LA studio session players did that record incl myself, & I played the guitar solo & all guitars on 'Rebel Yell' for session fees."

-John Goodsall

It's shocking to me that Steve Stevens made an entire career off someone else's work.

That is all. You may now return to the mundanity of Tall Fescue.
    Yer Blues wrote:I am from the Beavis and Butthead generation.

I call utter bull****************.

See the expanded version of "Rebel Yell" for details...there's a rehearsal in there where Steve Stevens is clearly playing the opening riff.

Steve Stevens was also hired by Michael Jackson for "Dirty Diana"...specifically for his "Ray Gun" effect.

Comment

In addition, I read several interviews in "Guitar Player", where Stevens goes in-depth as to how he got the guitar effects and sounds in "Flesh For Fantasy", and the delay/arpeggio effect for the beginning of "Do Not Stand In The Shadows".

This guy is claiming that HE was the actual guitarist on that album? He's going to have to do better than post a block of text on a Yahoo! Message board...

Comment

See the expanded version of "Rebel Yell" for details...there's a rehearsal in there where Steve Stevens is clearly playing the opening riff.

Steve Stevens was also hired by Michael Jackson for "Dirty Diana"...specifically for his "Ray Gun" effect.

I don't know what to think yet. I have Stevens' email address. I should just flat out ask him. The truth is out there.

Comment

In addition, I read several interviews in "Guitar Player", where Stevens goes in-depth as to how he got the guitar effects and sounds in "Flesh For Fantasy", and the delay/arpeggio effect for the beginning of "Do Not Stand In The Shadows".

This guy is claiming that HE was the actual guitarist on that album? He's going to have to do better than post a block of text on a Yahoo! Message board...

I read all that **************** too back in the day. But things like this happen. Dorky session guys do the work and eye candy gets the touring gig. I even interviewed Stevens and he told me the whole story about how he got the gig and went into the studio.

Comment

Let's see what Steve Stevens has to say about the subject, howsabout? Where he talks about actually writing the songs on Rebel Yell, and then shows you how he played them...

Comment

I don't know what to think yet. I have Stevens' email address. I should just flat out ask him. The truth is out there.

****************, YEAH, you should.

You think that he *might* be interested in the fact that another musician, supposedly with credentials of his own, is attempting to take credit for what is undoubtedly Steve Steven's most famous work???

I'd allow for the possibility that this ass-clown PLAYED on the session, and had his takes completely wiped from the album. Such things have also happened. However, this guy is making claims which are extraordinary...and with extraordinarily claims comes the burden of extraordinary proof.

He's claiming credit for not only Steve Steven's most famous work, he's claiming credit for Steve Steven's signature "Ray Gun" effect.

Steve Stevens and Van Halen are my two favorite hard rock players of the 80's, hands-down. I was somewhat of a SS fanatic.

Comment

Indeed, and sadness at Oscar's willingness to post it just for the troll.

Comment

One caveat before potential action, and a caveat that you, as a journalist, almost certainly do not need...but it bears repeating, anyway:

Before I sparked off a potentially credibility-reducing witch-hunt, I would want to verify that the author of that Yahoo! Groups **************** is actually John Goodsall.

It is possible that some yo-yo posted that, and that whoever John Goodsall is has no knowledge of it whatsoever. People do strange things on teh intarwebs.

However, if you can verify that John Goodsall is actually making these statements? Release the hounds...

Comment

I play on lots of regional records that I don't get credit for, where it's like "learn these parts but play them in time and in tune.".

Sometimes it's a bummer especially if it ends up being popular, but usually the songs suck anyway and you know nobody's gonna hear it.

If it happens to me I'm sure it happens to Goodsall or even Lukather.
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/christondre

...the tone sounded like the back of my ass on taco tuesday.

Originally Posted by Flamencology

When life gives you lemons, disrespect them with tongs.

Last edited by Dimetapp drinke; Today at 04:28 PM. Reason: Because vikingrat and gtrwiz, among other notables such as dmn23 and noisebloom, take ROCK and ROLL seriously!

Comment

One caveat before potential action, and a caveat that you, as a journalist, almost certainly do not need...but it bears repeating, anyway:

Before I sparked off a potentially credibility-reducing witch-hunt, I would want to verify that the author of that Yahoo! Groups **************** is actually John Goodsall.

It is possible that some yo-yo posted that, and that whoever John Goodsall is has no knowledge of it whatsoever. People do strange things on teh intarwebs.

However, if you can verify that John Goodsall is actually making these statements? Release the hounds...

Yeah, but it's also mentioned in Wikipedia. Wikipedia never lies.

Comment

I'm emailing Stevens now. I'll let you know what he says.

Comment

Apparently, an article in 2009 on something called "The Albert Lea Tribune" posted an article claiming the same thing as they did a piece on Goodsall, and Goodsall is referencing the article on his personal MySpace page:

http://www.albertleatribune.com/2009/08/25/not-just-billy-idols-guitarist/

To wit:

"Goodsall played guitar for Billy Idol

Comment

Yeah, but it's also mentioned in Wikipedia. Wikipedia never lies.

Nope. Never.

For the record:

There is ZERO percent chance that the "ray gun" effect was created by "beating the neck of a Stratocaster with his knuckles". I say again: ZERO ****************ing percent chance.

I spent a LONG time trying to duplicate that sound, and Stevens himself went into detail with exactly how he got that sound in one of his Guitar Player interviews (an Eventide or Alesis processor, or some such thing).

I can actually come fairly close to duplicating it with a lowly Boss PS-3 Phase Shifter.

Whatever it is, it's electronic in it's origin...NOT organic.

Comment

Seriously...keep us updated on this.

This is a claim that Steve Stevens, in effect, has as much credibility as Milli Vanilli...and his claim is not quite on a par, but in the same category, as a relatively unknown session player coming forward and claiming that he, in fact, recorded "Van Halen I"...not EVH.

Comment

Working...
                              X