Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Audio advice. Help me find the stereo reciever I'm looking for.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Audio advice. Help me find the stereo reciever I'm looking for.

On the back porch we have two wall mounted speaker stands in the back corners. I have speakers. What I need is a small receiver.

-It only needs to be stereo because I'm only ever going to use two speakers.
    -It only needs to have one aux input for an ipod/phone or something. I have plenty of adapters, so anything from 1/4, to 1/2, to phono should work. I'll work that part out.
    -It doesn't need to be too powerful. It's just going to be playing background music while grilling, playing cornhole in the yard, sitting on the porch having a few drinks with friends, etc. So 35W or so should be plenty. These are only bookshelf speakers.
    -An AM/FM tuner would be nice, but not a necessity.
    -The smaller the better. I'd like it to be accessible when needed, but tucked away. So something like an old Pioneer or Marantz is a bit too big. I'll probably end up sitting it on something similar to a nightstand.
    -The cheaper the better. As long as it isn't ****************.
    -Asthetics and quality are always a plus and worth paying a few extra bucks for.

Thanks in advance.

• GomezAddams1
    replied
    BTW, for others interested, here's how I made a pair of cheap, yet good sounding and durable under-eaves speakers.

Get a pair of your favorite 5 1/4" plastic cone auto speakers (spend as little or much as your ears demand).
    Get a couple 18" sections of PVC pipe - your local contractor supply house might have scraps they'll give you, otherwise get the cheapest kind.

Cut 4 pieces of 1/2" or so pine board in disks to fit snugly in pipe.
    Cut holes in two of those to fit speakers. Paint wood thoroughly.

Fit the front piece of wood (with the speaker cut out) flush in one end of the tube. Secure with RTV applied from the back of the tube. After that cures, fit the rear piece flush to the back of the tube and secure with RTV (working from the front through the speaker cut-out hole. You can use small wood screws through the tube into the edge of the wood disks if desired.

After all that cures, drill hole in back for speaker wire to exit. Or, use fancy speaker terminals if desired.

Mount speaker in one enclosure find approximate balance point of whole enclosure. Record measurement of balance point, remove speaker. Drill both enclosures to accept eye-bolt at balance point. Install eye-bolts with washers. Spray paint enclosures and speaker mounting trim (if used).

Loosely pack enclosure with damping material (fiberglass, quilt batting, etc). Wire speakers and install into enclosure with supplied speaker trim. Find the spot under the eaves where you want them, and install screw-hooks. Hang enclosure eye-bolts on screw hooks and run wires.

Obviously, you could come up with all sorts of alternate mounting ideas.

BTW, yes, I know that proper speaker enclosure design has a whole science behind it, and this is not going to give the "optimal" enclosure for your drivers. However, car speakers are designed to give decent results when used in an infinite baffle application, and an 18" tube stuffed with fiberglass is going to be a pretty good first order approximation of that. If you want optimum, google "Thiele-Small parameters" and work from there.

Leave a comment:

• eloydrummerboy
    replied
    craigslist
    pawnshop
    ebay

Pretty much any receiver from the late 70s on forward. I've got an old pioneer receiver on my deck that I bought in 1978 or so. The aux inputs are connected to a computer in the basement. iTunes and spotify keeps me in grilling and beer drinking music.

I've been checking all 3. Craigslist isn't coming up with much (but that's the nature of the beast, you have to be vigilant), pawnshops never have much of quality, and eBay usually involves shipping which I'd rather not deal with if I can find something local (so back to square one with craigslist).

I was mostly asking here in case anyone knew of a newer model that was created to fill my niche. And it looks like the Onkyo is exactly it (and since I've discovered that Yamaha has an almost identical model for around the same price range). They're just not going to be the same quality as a lot of the 70s stuff.

Leave a comment:

• eloydrummerboy
    replied
    As 2manband said stereo receivers are very much a niche item now, so you won't find much in the way of stripped down or very inexpensive models. As for the power, it's nice to have more than you need so your amp isn't working so hard at your desired listening levels. Also if the speakers are outside that powers going to come in handy if you ever do want some decent volume due to it not being in an enclosed space.

Yeah, I get your point about headroom. I guess in the end, the unit (whatever one I end up getting) is going to be sitting on (or in) a stand of some sort. Maybe I should concentrate on finding a stand first and then decide how small of a receiver I would like. If I end up getting a decent sized stand, a larger receiver just might do. But in that case, I'll probably end up getting another Marantz. I'd love to find one in the wood cases. That would be ideal.

Leave a comment:

• eloydrummerboy
    replied
    Don't freak on me, but have you considered a couple of outdoor speakers mounted under the eve of your house and connected to what you already have with an added switch to cout them off when not needed.

Thought about it, but it's not really practical considering the locations of my main stereo, the computer room, the back porch, etc. The best and easiest solution is just a small receiver on the porch and bookshelf speakers mounted in the mounts that are already there.

Leave a comment:

• powbob01
    replied
    As 2manband said stereo receivers are very much a niche item now, so you won't find much in the way of stripped down or very inexpensive models. As for the power, it's nice to have more than you need so your amp isn't working so hard at your desired listening levels. Also if the speakers are outside that powers going to come in handy if you ever do want some decent volume due to it not being in an enclosed space.

Leave a comment:

• mikesr1963
    replied
    Don't freak on me, but have you considered a couple of outdoor speakers mounted under the eve of your house and connected to what you already have with an added switch to cout them off when not needed.

Leave a comment:

• GomezAddams1
    replied
    craigslist
    pawnshop
    ebay

Pretty much any receiver from the late 70s on forward. I've got an old pioneer receiver on my deck that I bought in 1978 or so. The aux inputs are connected to a computer in the basement. iTunes and spotify keeps me in grilling and beer drinking music.

Leave a comment:

• eloydrummerboy
    replied
    http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3490/

This is an excellent, very powerful stereo receiver and this is a great price. Amazon also has it for $276.80. Most places it is about $450.00.

That's a lot of firepower there. A lot more than I'd ever use most likely. That'd be great if they had a stripped down version. Give me half the power, half the inputs, and half the size for half the price.

But yeah, that's a better receiver for the same price as the one I posted. (minus speakers)

Leave a comment:

• powbob01
    replied
    http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3490/

This is an excellent, very powerful stereo receiver and this is a great price. Amazon also has it for $276.80. Most places it is about $450.00.

Leave a comment:

• Philphine
    replied
    Go to a thrift store and pick up something from the 80s for 20 bucks.

mine is a pawn shop bookshelf stereo i got for $25. sits out of the weather in the garage with the speakers out on the deck. i'm playing with an outdoor home theater idea so i'll upgrade eventually, but i've had it a couple years now and it still works fine.

Leave a comment:

• 2manband
    replied
    Yeah, 5.1, 7.1, etc would be fine. But I just wanted to specify that it only needed 2 channels. A lot of vintage (well, almost all) are only 2-channel so I didn't want people automatically ruling them out.

That Onkyo CS-445 (which is running $254 on Amazon) is perfect. I'm wondering if there's a similar vintage model (obviously minus the iPod dock, cd capability, etc.) that can be found for cheaper on eBay.

I think I'll ask another forum.

Yeah - I don't know how much help you're gonna get on that here. I'd imagine most of us aren't really up on the current makes/models/features, etc.

1dad ended up with a Yamaha, which is also the brand that I bought for my living room/home theater a few years back. Both seem to be working fine.

Leave a comment:

• eloydrummerboy
    replied
    I helped my mom pick out a new receiver a few months ago for a Christmas gift for my dad.

Seems like 2-channel stereo receivers are kind of a niche market any more. Most times you can get one that has full blown Dolby 5.1, HDMI, etc. for about the same price. They still work fine for 2-channel stereo, but give you a lot of future expansion capabilities if you ever want to use it.

Yeah, 5.1, 7.1, etc would be fine. But I just wanted to specify that it only needed 2 channels. A lot of vintage (well, almost all) are only 2-channel so I didn't want people automatically ruling them out.

That Onkyo CS-445 (which is running $254 on Amazon) is perfect. I'm wondering if there's a similar vintage model (obviously minus the iPod dock, cd capability, etc.) that can be found for cheaper on eBay.

I think I'll ask another forum.

Leave a comment:

• TunedHarp
    replied
    Go to a thrift store and pick up something from the 80s for 20 bucks.

Leave a comment:

• 2manband
    replied
    I helped my mom pick out a new receiver a few months ago for a Christmas gift for my dad.

Seems like 2-channel stereo receivers are kind of a niche market any more. Most times you can get one that has full blown Dolby 5.1, HDMI, etc. for about the same price. They still work fine for 2-channel stereo, but give you a lot of future expansion capabilities if you ever want to use it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X