Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Audio advice. Help me find the stereo reciever I'm looking for.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Audio advice. Help me find the stereo reciever I'm looking for.

On the back porch we have two wall mounted speaker stands in the back corners. I have speakers. What I need is a small receiver.

-It only needs to be stereo because I'm only ever going to use two speakers.
    -It only needs to have one aux input for an ipod/phone or something. I have plenty of adapters, so anything from 1/4, to 1/2, to phono should work. I'll work that part out.
    -It doesn't need to be too powerful. It's just going to be playing background music while grilling, playing cornhole in the yard, sitting on the porch having a few drinks with friends, etc. So 35W or so should be plenty. These are only bookshelf speakers.
    -An AM/FM tuner would be nice, but not a necessity.
    -The smaller the better. I'd like it to be accessible when needed, but tucked away. So something like an old Pioneer or Marantz is a bit too big. I'll probably end up sitting it on something similar to a nightstand.
    -The cheaper the better. As long as it isn't ****************.
    -Asthetics and quality are always a plus and worth paying a few extra bucks for.

Thanks in advance.
    ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Originally Posted by LeftyTom

I wouldn't want to be in any woman who wants me in her.

Originally Posted by Brocktoon

[Baron85's nickname:] Mommy's Little Man

Originally Posted by dmn23

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

Onkyo. They make a GREAT 2-channel stereo receiver for less than $200 complete with a remote. Solid, reliable, simple.
    Or buy a Sherwood from Best Buy for $92.

Comment

Onkyo. They make a GREAT 2-channel stereo receiver for less than $200 complete with a remote. Solid, reliable, simple.
      Or buy a Sherwood from Best Buy for $92.

Model number? Link?
      ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

I may not know how to play it or program it, but it makes the "studio" look sufficiently enough like a spaceship that I feel my money was well spent.

Comment

Are you talking about these "mini systems"?
        http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Audiosys&Source=sidemenu

Yeah, that hits the nail right on the head. Thanks. $300 is a bit more than I was looking to spend. But it looks like they come with speakers, which I have already. I wonder if I can get the receiver only.

Any more suggestions along this vein?
        ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Comment

bump
          ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Comment

Just check out Best Buy for the Sherwood receivers. Or go to Onkyo's web site. Both have been around for over 30 years or more.

Comment

I helped my mom pick out a new receiver a few months ago for a Christmas gift for my dad.

Seems like 2-channel stereo receivers are kind of a niche market any more. Most times you can get one that has full blown Dolby 5.1, HDMI, etc. for about the same price. They still work fine for 2-channel stereo, but give you a lot of future expansion capabilities if you ever want to use it.

Comment

Go to a thrift store and pick up something from the 80s for 20 bucks.

Comment

I helped my mom pick out a new receiver a few months ago for a Christmas gift for my dad.

Seems like 2-channel stereo receivers are kind of a niche market any more. Most times you can get one that has full blown Dolby 5.1, HDMI, etc. for about the same price. They still work fine for 2-channel stereo, but give you a lot of future expansion capabilities if you ever want to use it.

Yeah, 5.1, 7.1, etc would be fine. But I just wanted to specify that it only needed 2 channels. A lot of vintage (well, almost all) are only 2-channel so I didn't want people automatically ruling them out.

That Onkyo CS-445 (which is running $254 on Amazon) is perfect. I'm wondering if there's a similar vintage model (obviously minus the iPod dock, cd capability, etc.) that can be found for cheaper on eBay.

I think I'll ask another forum.
                  ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Comment

Yeah, 5.1, 7.1, etc would be fine. But I just wanted to specify that it only needed 2 channels. A lot of vintage (well, almost all) are only 2-channel so I didn't want people automatically ruling them out.

That Onkyo CS-445 (which is running $254 on Amazon) is perfect. I'm wondering if there's a similar vintage model (obviously minus the iPod dock, cd capability, etc.) that can be found for cheaper on eBay.

I think I'll ask another forum.

Yeah - I don't know how much help you're gonna get on that here. I'd imagine most of us aren't really up on the current makes/models/features, etc.

1dad ended up with a Yamaha, which is also the brand that I bought for my living room/home theater a few years back. Both seem to be working fine.

Comment

Go to a thrift store and pick up something from the 80s for 20 bucks.

mine is a pawn shop bookshelf stereo i got for $25. sits out of the weather in the garage with the speakers out on the deck. i'm playing with an outdoor home theater idea so i'll upgrade eventually, but i've had it a couple years now and it still works fine.
                      start where you are,
                      use what you have,
                      do what you can. arthur ashe

Comment

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3490/

This is an excellent, very powerful stereo receiver and this is a great price. Amazon also has it for $276.80. Most places it is about $450.00.

Comment

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3490/

This is an excellent, very powerful stereo receiver and this is a great price. Amazon also has it for $276.80. Most places it is about $450.00.

That's a lot of firepower there. A lot more than I'd ever use most likely. That'd be great if they had a stripped down version. Give me half the power, half the inputs, and half the size for half the price.

But yeah, that's a better receiver for the same price as the one I posted. (minus speakers)
                          ...That's what she said.

Soundclick

Comment

craigslist
                            pawnshop
                            ebay

Pretty much any receiver from the late 70s on forward. I've got an old pioneer receiver on my deck that I bought in 1978 or so. The aux inputs are connected to a computer in the basement. iTunes and spotify keeps me in grilling and beer drinking music.

Comment

Don't freak on me, but have you considered a couple of outdoor speakers mounted under the eve of your house and connected to what you already have with an added switch to cout them off when not needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X