Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing/Arranging for Horns

I'm working on some R&B/Soul arrangements for a small horn section (trumpet, tenor sax, baritone sax) and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this. Sadly, I don't have any actual players yet so I have to work it out using (not great sounding) midi samples.

Thoughts? Ideas? Best Practices?
    Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

That is a HUGE question. Can you get more specific? I have arranged for 20+ member big bands before.

One thing is that (like all the saxes) some notes overlap from horn to horn. Tha is to say a b flat on a bari and a bflat on a tenor might be the same pitch but they are very different notes in terms of energy or intensity.

I'm sure you are aware of ranges of your saxes if not get that down.

Playing in unison really swings. Playing in intervals 'slows the music down'.

Be careful when comping behind a soloist...some stabs can clash with what the soloist is doing...especially if the soloist is playing chord melodies.

In general trumpets love to show off the high notes. Saxes love to show tight ensemble playing and melodic agility.

Thats all I have off the top of my head...
    Originally Posted by Notes_Norton

I'm sorry for the rant, but death threats, hate mail, and hundreds of pizzas not picked up really irks me.

Originally Posted by Mossy Moss

I liked you better as your previous alt. Now you're just a giant walking vagina filled with sand and yeast.

Comment

Listen to a bunch of dixieland and try and get a feel for what's going on.
      My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

Responded in the SW forum, but I'll add to what honkridge said. The guys I play with have a tendency to avoid unison playing, but sometimes it sounds good and you got to make them do it.

Comment

Do some studying on different instrument ranges. Know what the comfortable areas are for the different horns.

Be aware of transposing instruments. Tenor Sax is a Bb instrument, and alto is an Eb. So their charts will have to be transposed.... Unless they can all read C well

Look up closed voicings and open voicings. Very different textures.

Voice lead your inner parts!
          Originally Posted by rickenvox

we're just at the beginning of the Bon Iver revolution

Comment

Whats your major concern harmony arrangement or writing the charts appropriately for each instruments key and register?

Also, what software are you using? I might ba able to send you some full arrangements you can reference.
            PM me about Online One-on-One Guitar Lessons, via Skype and Paypal
            http://lessons.mikedodge.com
            http://www.mikedodge.com
            http://forum.mikedodge.com

Hint for online instructors...play the example in it's entirety, THEN talk about it for 5 minutes.

The only good liberal is a...well, we're still trying to figure out the answer to that one.

Uma is a motorik.

Comment

Be aware of transposing instruments. Tenor Sax is a Bb instrument, and alto is an Eb. So their charts will have to be transposed.... Unless they can all read C well

Trumpets are Bb as well.
              Let that boy boogie woogie. It in him, an' it got to come out.

Comment

Whats your major concern harmony arrangement or writing the charts appropriately for each instruments key and register?

Also, what software are you using? I might ba able to send you some full arrangements you can reference.

Harmony arrangement. I'm just assuming that if I have everything in midi I can generate an appropriate chart/score. I have Band-In-A-Box, which I've used to generate lead sheets (in C), but at this point I'm more worried about getting a good arrangement than I am about generating a chart (in whatever key).

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Do some studying on different instrument ranges. Know what the comfortable areas are for the different horns.

If you tell them this is in "concert (whatever key the song is in)" and they can usually do the transposition on the fly.

Comment

Voice lead, as in, if you have four horn parts, the high instrument usually plays the melody. The supporting horns play other notes in the chord.

If you are harmonizing a chord, the inner horns should move mostly just in half steps and whole steps. You want to make the least movement on your inner parts.
                    Originally Posted by rickenvox

we're just at the beginning of the Bon Iver revolution

Comment

Voice lead, as in, if you have four horn parts, the high instrument usually plays the melody. The supporting horns play other notes in the chord.

If you are harmonizing a chord, the inner horns should move mostly just in half steps and whole steps. You want to make the least movement on your inner parts.

That helps.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

How good is your understanding of Harmony?
                        PM me about Online One-on-One Guitar Lessons, via Skype and Paypal
                        http://lessons.mikedodge.com
                        http://www.mikedodge.com
                        http://forum.mikedodge.com

Hint for online instructors...play the example in it's entirety, THEN talk about it for 5 minutes.

The only good liberal is a...well, we're still trying to figure out the answer to that one.

Uma is a motorik.

Comment

How good is your understanding of Harmony?

Pretty good for a rock guy.

I've played piano for many years. I understand how to construct and extend chords and some techniques for choosing chord voicings. Overall, probably beyond rudimentary but definitely less than it should be.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Working...
                          X