Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

As promised Mav64 reviews and ranks 3 new releases from 3 old acts...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As promised Mav64 reviews and ranks 3 new releases from 3 old acts...

Van Halen's A Different Kind of Truth, UFO's Seven Deadly and Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock. Due to the recent occasion of my 48th birthday I came into possession of these 3 new releases from 3 old faves and in this thread I will review, rank and recommend one above the others. Hopefully you'll enjoy and reciprocate by participating in a relevant discussion or not. Anyway in reverse order of preference...

3. UFO - Seven Deadly; Yes it pains me to have to put my all time favorite band UFO #3 on this list but I'm telling it like it is. I had high hopes for this disc as I'd read some advance reviews saying that is was the best of the Moore UFO discs and not as bluesy as previous efforts but alas I didn't find that to be the case. It reminded me a lot of more recent UFO recordings in that there's one classic rocker, Wonderland, and a few above average tunes, Fight Night, Mojo Town and Angel Station, but the rest is pretty much meandering mid-tempo monotony. I'm starting to think that Vinnie just can't write memorable riffs and while Phil can still turn a clever phrase there are plenty of obtuse, head-scratching lines like this from Wonderland, I want the Monkey, I came for the Monkey? What is it with Phil and Monkeys? (See No Heavy Petting and The Monkey Puzzle album covers) It kills me to say this but I'm thinking it's about time for UFO to dock the mothership. 6/10

2. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - OK I won't got into a bunch of detail on this because you've all probably already read all there is to read or heard it and made up your minds for yourself but I really enjoyed this disc. There's a few moments, especially early on, that really evoke classic VH and made me nostalgic for my youth. There's value in that. The songs may be old but they definitely rock and Eddie's playing is very sharp even if it's mostly familiar sounding runs/licks much of the time. It was weird hearing him with a wah. Not many screams from Dave and of course no classic Michael Anthony backing vocals. I don't know if it was absolutely necessary but I really enjoy it and would rank it above Diver Down and below 1984. 7.5/10

1. Michael Schenker - Temple of Rock Ohmygod!! What can I say other than if you're a fan of Michael, UFO or even if your not but just enjoy old school guitar based hard rock then you need to run, not walk and pick this up immediately. This completely shattered all expectations. This is his best work since Assault Attack! Better than the 08 release with Gary Barden In the Midst of Beauty (which was top notch) and better than the 1996 UFO comeback Walk On Water. Since Gary Moore died nobody plays hard rock guitar with such an innate melodic feel as Michael Schenker. He's the last of his breed and my eyes watered up with tears of joy listening to this disc repeatedly all weekend. The disc opens with an awesome spoken word intro from William Shatner which are the first two verses of the opening number, a rousing, inspired anti-war anthem called How Long? and the awesomeness doesn't relent. Continuing with the second number, a funky, California party theme the songs on this disc show a complexity and depth that's rare these days. They breathe and throb and are just vital and vibrant in a way that's not found on the other discs. While some people have found vocalist Michael Voss' singing to be an acquired taste I loved it. He's got an electric 70's glam feel to it that reminds me of Sweet or something like that.
    Pete Way and Herman Rarebell sound superb and the lineup of terrific sounding guest musicians is incredibly impressive as I already stated in a previous thread. The only thing that keeps this from getting an A+ 10/10 review is that there's a tiny bit of filler at the end but that's acceptable on a 14 track one hour CD. Lastly I'll just mention that it was also produced, engineered and mixed by Michael Schenker and Michael Voss. 9.5/10

Here's How Long with Shatner intro... (Simon Phillips -drums and Neil Murray -bass)

Thanks Mav, sorry about UFO, I must have heard the two best cuts awhile back.

Comment

Really nice reviews here Mav.
      I wish we had more forumites here who would post useful stuff like this on here instead of there ****************ing potato salad recipes ( although a good cold Macaroni salad might be useful).

I will be checking out the Schenker album, and of course the VH too.
      Too bad the UFO stuff is not that good but I can't say I was surprised.
      forged a million years ago
      Black Blade.

Originally Posted by Bro Blue

Tell her it's her fault for going down in the basement before you could get her surprise remodel done.

Then cunnilingus.

Make her a sandwich.

Comment

Cool, I'll definitely have to check out the Schenker release. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hey thank you guys for taking the time to read! Appreciated. My own fault for doing in-depth reviews of cd's/artists nobody cares about anymore. Except us!

Comment

I might get the MSG one. I am not crazy about Vinnie in UFO. It's a bit like Morse in Deep Purple. Not very exciting.
            Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

Thanks Mav, sorry about UFO, I must have heard the two best cuts awhile back.

Actually it wasn't necessarily just you I was thinking of. There were some good reviews on Amazon for the UFO as well. With Pete Way in Michael's band now you've got competing releases from Schenker/Way and Mogg/Parker/Raymond. Schenker/Way win this round by a long shot...They still got the fire!

Comment

I might get the MSG one. I am not crazy about Vinnie in UFO. It's a bit like Morse in Deep Purple. Not very exciting.

Vinnie's tone is so generic and sterile while Michael's just jumps out of the speakers, grabs you by your ears and says, "listen and respect mother****************er!"

Comment

Nice one Mav. I think BB is right. We should do more of this stuff.
                  "You ill mannered sack of ****************e."

Kylie Minogue

Comment

Nice one Mav. I think BB is right. We should do more of this stuff.

Well I don't know if we have enough power to turn the tide but I for one am willing to try!

Comment

Really nice reviews here Mav.
                      I wish we had more forumites here who would post useful stuff like this on here instead of there ****************ing potato salad recipes ( although a good cold Macaroni salad might be useful).

I will be checking out the Schenker album, and of course the VH too.
                      Too bad the UFO stuff is not that good but I can't say I was surprised.

yes. I'd much rather have threads that simply shout out a band's name. or maybe a song.
                      www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

yes. I'd much rather have threads that simply shout out a band's name. or maybe a song.

****************ing UFO, Van Halen, Michael Schenker, ****************ing A man WOO-HOO! (sorry, trying to bump this for Mo!)

Comment

Well I don't know if we have enough power to turn the tide but I for one am willing to try!

I will be right behind you in the revolution, comrade.

Edit; Um, yeah way .....more than arms length behind you. I know how these guys read into things.

Comment

You've summed up what I hadn't yet put into words. I don't dislike the Vinnie stuff, but, it's kind of like the last few Budgie guitarists, great players in their own right, but, i need to hear Tony Bourge at the helm.

Comment

You've summed up what I hadn't yet put into words. I don't dislike the Vinnie stuff, but, it's kind of like the last few Budgie guitarists, great players in their own right, but, i need to hear Tony Bourge at the helm.

Steve you're so right about Budgie, I have all of their albums but it was never quite the same without Tony.
                              forged a million years ago
                              Black Blade.

Originally Posted by Bro Blue

Tell her it's her fault for going down in the basement before you could get her surprise remodel done.

Then cunnilingus.

Make her a sandwich.

Comment

Working...
                              X