Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know of Kirk Hammett's reputation as a "bad" soloist but...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I concur with the consensus on Hammett's abilities, but I've always found him pretty likable and refreshingly (and appropriately, I suppose) modest. I remember back when I used to waste money on the bull**************** rag that was/is Guitar World, his column would always credit other players, draw attention to playing that he liked, he'd mention that he was still taking lessons, etc.

I want to like his playing for the reasons you mentioned, but it really isn't for me.

I can't really imagine what else could fit over some of those rhythms though.

Comment

I think the guy is completely tone deaf. His technique is okay, but there's a difference between "out" and just plain wrong. His note choices are very often completely dissonant, in a very bad way. I remember reading an interview where he talked about taking some lessons, because a producer pointed out that he "wasn't even in the same key."
      -----------------

Originally Posted by Jimmy James: Zippers are like SAT tests. They're geared more for white people and don't reflect black culture, sensibility, complicated hand shakes and Good Times reruns.

Originally Posted by StringJunky: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with Maalox, Tums, and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

Comment

Would you be caught in a social setting alone with a female?

Unless they are doing it to **************** with you, because you are clearly an ignorant **************************** that deserves it. Then it's just funny.

I want to like his playing for the reasons you mentioned, but it really isn't for me.

I can't really imagine what else could fit over some of those rhythms though.
        This. Damage Inc for example.
        Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

I've never had a problem with Kirk and never noticed him to be horribly/noticeably bad or whatever. I think Chicken Monkey is on to something...

Comment

I have not been presented so far with incontrovertible evidence that he's a bad player.
            PLAY

Alternate tunings blog

Indépendantiste Québecois
            Athée intégriste

Comment

I have not been presented so far with incontrovertible evidence that he's a bad player.

Can you think of a worse guitarist of comparable status as a "guitar god" in an international superstar band, with coverage in guitar magazines, etc., who has enjoyed an extended career spanning decades, rather than as a flash-in-the-pan nu-metal has-been?

Comment

Can you think of a worse guitarist of comparable status as a "guitar god" in an international superstar band, with coverage in guitar magazines, etc., who has enjoyed an extended career spanning decades, rather than as a flash-in-the-pan nu-metal has-been?

Nope. Lars sucks too, listening to that Eye of The beholder reminded me of how sloppy his double bass is.
                The only really talented guys have always been James and the bass player of the moment.
                http://www.reverbnation.com/christondre

...the tone sounded like the back of my ass on taco tuesday.

Originally Posted by Flamencology

When life gives you lemons, disrespect them with tongs.

Last edited by Dimetapp drinke; Today at 04:28 PM. Reason: Because vikingrat and gtrwiz, among other notables such as dmn23 and noisebloom, take ROCK and ROLL seriously!

Comment

I enjoy his playing. I think he gets bashed because of albums like kill em all that are almost all "boxey" pentatonics.

Comment

I enjoy his playing. I think he gets bashed because of albums like kill em all that are almost all "boxey" pentatonics.

to me it has nothing to do with note choice, it's lack of feel and nervous vibrato
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/christondre

...the tone sounded like the back of my ass on taco tuesday.

Originally Posted by Flamencology

When life gives you lemons, disrespect them with tongs.

Last edited by Dimetapp drinke; Today at 04:28 PM. Reason: Because vikingrat and gtrwiz, among other notables such as dmn23 and noisebloom, take ROCK and ROLL seriously!

Comment

I've always liked how his bends are a bit sharp and he has that wide, jarring vibrato, adding to the sense of urgency. That's a huge part of the (old) Metallica sound, but when he started adding more blues and wah it kind of took a turn towards annoying.
                      -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I've said this before but **************** Musicians Friend in their stupid ****************ing faces.

Originally Posted by rickenvox

Realizing Ringo's talent is just a litmus test to identify musical idiots

Originally Posted by PFB

Ringo may have been the weakest link of the Beatles, but that's like being the worst president on Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

It's the overuse of wah. Wah wah wah****************itywah.

Comment

I've always liked how his bends are a bit sharp and he has that wide, jarring vibrato, adding to the sense of urgency. That's a huge part of the (old) Metallica sound, but when he started adding more blues and wah it kind of took a turn towards annoying.

Exactly. I feel that up till AJFA it was always interesting and fit the music well. To me the earlier Metallica music seemed like a polar opposite of blues, maybe that's why their attempt at getting bluesier (not just Kirk's) was their failure.

Comment

I've never noticed Kirk Hammett using a wah, but then I've only heard the first three albums.
                            Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

I've never noticed Kirk Hammett using a wah, but then I've only heard the first three albums.

He used it even then, but more as an additional tone filter than the current syncopated overkill. Lots of his solos on Master have it on certain runs, Damage, Inc. especially .
                              -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I've said this before but **************** Musicians Friend in their stupid ****************ing faces.

Originally Posted by rickenvox

Realizing Ringo's talent is just a litmus test to identify musical idiots

Originally Posted by PFB

Ringo may have been the weakest link of the Beatles, but that's like being the worst president on Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X