Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know of Kirk Hammett's reputation as a "bad" soloist but...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, I'm sorry, if a gay guy is in public with a straight guy, neither should be on the hunt out of respect for the other. Especially when it's the middle of the freaking work day.
    Even if Henry Rollins, David Lee Roth or Danzig was on a man hunt safari? Who doesn't like a safari??!!!!! Dude, the hats look cool as hell!!! Ted Nugent wears safari hats!

Comment

Nope, I'm sorry, if a gay guy is in public with a straight guy, neither should be on the hunt out of respect for the other. Especially when it's the middle of the freaking work day.
      But you get to wear a KICK ASS hat dude??!!!!!!
      Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

Yeah, it's the second part of the solo, around 2:50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPJKuygePHk&feature=related

Sorry I didn't imbed it, but I don't know if that works with a "related" link...

I'll also add that some of the Kirk hate has got to come from his very effeminate mannerisms and the strong undercurrent of homophobia in the metal world.

I was going to come in here and defend the metal/hard rock world, but then I read the rest of the thread, and I see there is no saving it from mikesr. I will just say instead that I personally get annoyed by Kirk's playing simply because of his repetitiveness in regards to his not selection and his abuse of the wah.
        The North remembers...

Comment

I concur with the consensus on Hammett's abilities, but I've always found him pretty likable and refreshingly (and appropriately, I suppose) modest. I remember back when I used to waste money on the bull**************** rag that was/is Guitar World, his column would always credit other players, draw attention to playing that he liked, he'd mention that he was still taking lessons, etc.

Comment

I was going to come in here and defend the metal/hard rock world, but then I read the rest of the thread, and I see there is no saving it from mikesr. I will just say instead that I personally get annoyed by Kirk's playing simply because of his repetitiveness in regards to his not selection and his abuse of the wah.
            AJFA was his peak and the bands peak as well. I wish they stayed on track because they all seemed to take it serious. At that point for me anyways they were IT. The stuff i loved about prog and metal was all there and they had their own vibe. I think the real reason i will always dislike these guys is the fact that they didn't follow through. At one time these guys would talk at length about their love of Kate Bush, Rush, Roxy Music, King Crimson, Zepp, Coltrane, Budgie etc. Just win win. You knew they ****************ing cared and were about pushing themselves. Then James got into Waylon Jennings and Social Distortion. Lars got into Oasis and Radiohead. End of the story. If ever there was a band that should have went away it was them.

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

I concur with the consensus on Hammett's abilities, but I've always found him pretty likable and refreshingly (and appropriately, I suppose) modest. I remember back when I used to waste money on the bull**************** rag that was/is Guitar World, his column would always credit other players, draw attention to playing that he liked, he'd mention that he was still taking lessons, etc.
              I know guys that had worked with them while James was still drinking. The only good thing any of these people have to say about them was Kirk and then bass player Jason.

Comment

I think Master Of Puppets and Creeping Death are both **************** solo's. How bout choo?

Comment

Guys..... Metallica is a boring band, haven't we all come to acknowledge this?
                  forged a million years ago
                  Black Blade.

Originally Posted by Bro Blue

Tell her it's her fault for going down in the basement before you could get her surprise remodel done.

Then cunnilingus.

Make her a sandwich.

Comment

I have always felt that Hammett would be the single member of Metallica I wouldn't mind meeting(deceased members excluded) simply because he seems like a pretty nice guy. He is in a hugely popular band and doesn't act like an ass, such as say Yngwie, who isn't even popular. So I will credit Mr. Hammett for that.
                    The North remembers...

Comment

I don't get this issue with Kirk Hammett. He played the solos on the albums, they are classic. Live he's not that great, but I've seen worse. He's OK.

I suspect the bashing is more related to the fact most of the Forum members learned these songs when they were younger...
                      I did
                      "It's all sratched up, Zuzu"Your wattage may vary

Comment

Originally Posted by Tom Fucherheigen

He is an adult now, but he is a child in the trousers.

Originally Posted by clay sails

This is essentially the same as married life, except that when you get married you share space with someone who washes your cum socks.

Comment

I like a lot of his recorded solo's. Live, I think his bends and vibrato are less than stellar. He seems like a very nice guy too.
                          Originally Posted by Jimmy James

You're the British SAS of Metal.

Originally Posted by Phlat Phive

You're a man of refined taste and strong opinions.

Originally Posted by goodusername

Mosiddiqi is a prick, btw.

Some Tunes:

http://www.box.net/shared/zbo8hrncu2
                          http://www.box.net/shared/dnlnkn3g44
                          http://www.box.net/shared/th4tv5noyi

Comment

I don't think he's bad, but it's like he all of a sudden discovered the Pentatonic Scale and a CryBaby right before the Black Album and then proceeded to go hog wild with it.

I do love his harmonized solo on My Friend of Misery though.

Comment

fecking awful guitar player. Terrible tone, nervous beginner vibrato, sloppy timing. You also have to realize that these unremarkable solos take hours to record in the studio.

http://www.reverbnation.com/christondre

...the tone sounded like the back of my ass on taco tuesday.

Originally Posted by Flamencology

When life gives you lemons, disrespect them with tongs.

Last edited by Dimetapp drinke; Today at 04:28 PM. Reason: Because vikingrat and gtrwiz, among other notables such as dmn23 and noisebloom, take ROCK and ROLL seriously!

Comment

I don't get this issue with Kirk Hammett. He played the solos on the albums, they are classic. Live he's not that great, but I've seen worse. He's OK.

I suspect the bashing is more related to the fact most of the Forum members learned these songs when they were younger...
                                I did
                                Me 2. I still can't play Shortest Straw. That solo has everything and the kitchen sink in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X