Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider video games ART? Why/Why not?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything is art.
    HCGB #289
    God FAQ

http://www.soundclick.com/g33k

Comment

another one that in my estimation shows videogames as the artform they can be:

Comment

Let's put it this way: It is commonly accepted that art isn't about the medium so much as it is about the intent to inspire emotions in the audience. The medium can be important, packaging is important for the "sale" but isn't the end goal.

Games are simply a medium, but some games have an intent behind them. When the content of a game makes you sit back and think of deeper meanings, that's art. When it has you make a decision that let's you discover something about yourself, that's art.
        http://www.last.fm/user/pinkfreudHC

Comment

No, because they may contain art/artistic elements and be created by artists, but they are not art to be absorbed and appreciated/dwelled upon and appreciated. They're like sports, and activity in which one gets personally/physically involved, but when it's over you move onto the next game. I like to think of art as being more important and impactful and less of a transient experience.

Some could argue that they are interactive art, but the concepts of most games far from new, just the packaging, detail of the graphics, and the multiplayer interaction/capability have changed. Therefore they are still just games, like Chess, checkers, tic-tac-toe, etc.

Comment

Only if you consider paint-by-numbers or coloring books art.

Comment

Comment

Is pop music art or are pop/rock songs just jingles advertising lifestyles?
                Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

****************ing hipsters discussing the issue!

http://pitchfork.com/killscreen/198-the-new-art-game-journey-is-meant-to-be-profound-but-havent-we-seen-this-before/
                  Do not write me for reasons of sass

Comment

Only if you consider paint-by-numbers or coloring books art.

Comment

I should note that videogames as ART doesn't really matter to me a whole lot. I just think the medium is capable of being artistic in much the same way as films and paintings. It is capable of creating mood and evoking emotional response. In the final analysis what really matters to me is that videogames be good GAMES and I'd say several of the games I've listed are artistic, but not particularly great (or even good) games. Flower for instance is a really pretty game and an interesting experience, but its not really very fun or challenging and is pretty blah as a game.

Comment

The analogy is an apt one. Consumers buy a product they can finish on their own. Whilst there may be artistry in the execution of product as it is delivered to the consumer, the games are merely a framework for one to use as they see fit.

Comment

that game Flower loooks ****************ing incredible
                          Originally Posted by rickenvox

we're just at the beginning of the Bon Iver revolution

Comment

The analogy is an apt one. Consumers buy a product they can finish on their own. Whilst there may be artistry in the execution of product as it is delivered to the consumer, the games are merely a framework for one to use as they see fit.

THey aren't really buying a product they can finish on their own, they are buying a product they can progressively reveal on their own. The game designer still has complete control over what elements are in the game that the player can reveal and experience through play. There is nothing in a videogame that isn't put there intentionally (or at least there doesn't have to be). Now most games aren't really trying to be art in the classic sense of the word, but theres no reason they can't be.

Comment

THey aren't really buying a product they can finish on their own, they are buying a product they can progressively reveal on their own. The paint-by-numbers company/artist still has complete control over what elements are in the picture that the painter can reveal and experience through painting. There is nothing in a paint-by-numbers kit that isn't put there intentionally (or at least there doesn't have to be). Now most paint-by-numbers kits aren't really trying to be art in the classic sense of the word, but theres no reason they can't be.

Comment

So, now that I've already given my broad definition of art and included video games in it, I'd be curious to understand under what criteria you guys are considering video games art. It seems like the examples people post of "artistic" games stand out because they contain stunning cinematics/music/drawings, etc. This implies to me that those people's working definition of art has something to do with beauty and emotional resonance. But if art is about appealing to the senses with beautiful imagery and sounds, then it kind of begs the question: what does the medium of the video game actually add? Why not just go watch a movie? Does the interactivity, the fact that you are forced to identify with a character by playing them instead of watching them, heighten the emotional aspect?
                                Originally Posted by danuniversal

Dr. Flamencology, please stop your insulting words.

Originally Posted by lukeswall

what's that acronym you guys use all the time? something to do with hitting it in the butt. I always forget how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X