Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider video games ART? Why/Why not?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they are art, then they're almost exclusively terrible art.

Comment

You can tell who's a gamer or not in here.
      Originally Posted by tiger roach

NORWEGIAN motherf**ker DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Comment

You can tell who's a gamer or not in here.

****************, video games have been considered art for 25 years now to the Japanese.

I think the modern consoles especially, with the technical power and budget available now, can truly create some emotional, moving, thought provoking and above all fun "artistic" experiences.

Comment

****************, video games have been considered art for 25 years now to the Japanese.

I think the modern consoles especially, with the technical power and budget available now, can truly create some emotional, moving, thought provoking and above all fun "artistic" experiences.

Ever seen one of those Japanese gameshows? They're all mental.
          Originally Posted by tiger roach

NORWEGIAN motherf**ker DO YOU SPEAK IT?

Comment

play bioshock and tell me that isn't art
            check out my (car) design blog

Comment

Like anything else, video games can be an art....they can also be garbage. I don't think anyone would argue that games like Okami are art.

Comment

Here's some games that I would suggest achieve a certain level of artistry:

Comment

Like anything else, video games can be an art....they can also be garbage. I don't think anyone would argue that games like Okami are art.

I loved that game. A powerful argument for video games as art.
                  Originally Posted by kmacc45

I appreciate your concern stringjunk, but I'm in a stress releive program now.
                  Between my lawn service and fast driving, I think this issue is being address.

Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

**************** the lot of you.

Originally Posted by jaxn slim

Dude! I think your lung made me gay! WTF?

Comment

When I hear the word art I reach for my rocket launcher.
                    Fast, clean and cheap.

Comment

I think Actionsquid hit the nail in the head. They are a different category of things. Ultimately, a video game has more in common with a card game than a painting, or a poem, or a piece of music. A deck of cards can be a beautiful piece of art, but it doesn't make a game of poker itself art. Similarly, a video game can involve artistic elements - visuals, sound, music, but it remains a game.
                      I guess unless the game-plan itself becomes the object of artistic manipulation. I sure there's been several attempts, but I'm not sure about the level of success... I don't think the promise of the interactive computer art has been fulfilled. Admittedly my familiarity with the subject is somewhat limited.

Comment

I believe that they can be. It definately is by the broader definitions of the word, but there do exist "games" that kind of transcends the genre into a more meditative, artsy experience.

Okami has already been mentioned. Another recent example is the fabulous Journey and Shadow of the Colossus. Games where the mood and feel is a bigger focus than story and gameplay.
                        Octomom is my favorite Xmen

Comment

I believe that they can be. It definately is by the broader definitions of the word, but there do exist "games" that kind of transcends the genre into a more meditative, artsy experience.

Okami has already been mentioned. Another recent example is the fabulous Journey and Shadow of the Colossus. Games where the mood and feel is a bigger focus than story and gameplay.

I'll check these out.

Comment

play bioshock and tell me that isn't art

I think anyone who has played Grim Fandango will recognize that it was produced by some very creative artists.

The problem with games is that they hire artists who do one bit of the work - the rest is done by programmers, project managers, occasionally writers, marketing departments, etc, etc... and finally published by awful awful companies like EA, Vivendi, etc.

So while the end product may not be considered art, there's definitely a valid artistic process in creating a videogame. I say that referencing Grim Fandango.

I like games even though I hardly play them at all. As an IT person who dabbles in the world of art, music and writing I can certainly see how you can come up with an interesting product.
                            Count of the Holy Roman Empire, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Brazen Crown, Perpetual Arch-Master of the Rosicrucian Masons of Mesopotamia; Attached (in Honorary Capacities) to Societies Musical, Societies Medical, Societies Philosophical, and Societies General Benevolent, throughout Europe; etc.. etc... etc...

Ubi nihil vales, ibi nihil velis

Big Feckin' Eejit Formerly Known as Jacopo_Belbo

Comment

No. Art's paintings and stuff.
                              "You ill mannered sack of ****************e."

Kylie Minogue

Comment

I think Actionsquid hit the nail in the head. They are a different category of things. Ultimately, a video game has more in common with a card game than a painting, or a poem, or a piece of music.

hmm...to me videogames have way more in common with film and music than they do with a deck of cards. Can't say I see what you're getting at. I agree that they are a different category of thing. Just like music is a category and poetry is its own category. I think you can judge the artistry of a videogame within its category just like you can any other artistic category. We don't judge the artistic merit of a poem based on its cinematography or its music score. We don't judge the artistry of a piece of music based on its brushstrokes. Every different category has its own set of relevant characteristics. I don't see how that means videogames can't be art...

Comment

Working...
                                X