Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now accepting book recommendations.

Criteria: must be good.

Shoot.

The second story in The Hardy Boys canon "The House on The Cliff" is by far the best of the entire series.
    Originally Posted by Jimmy James

You're the British SAS of Metal.

Originally Posted by Phlat Phive

You're a man of refined taste and strong opinions.

Originally Posted by goodusername

Mosiddiqi is a prick, btw.

Some Tunes:

http://www.box.net/shared/zbo8hrncu2
    http://www.box.net/shared/dnlnkn3g44
    http://www.box.net/shared/th4tv5noyi

Comment

The second story in The Hardy Boys canon "The House on The Cliff" is by far the best of the entire series.

Read it about 21 or 22 years ago, can't remember a ****************ing thing about it except for the following: I remember that I had a hard bound edition from the 50s or so that collected the first 3 HB novels, but the binding was virtually falling apart, and pages were loose. So my grandfather, who is one of those people who you can know all your life only to be shocked by displays of obscure skill sets, removed the binding, fashioned a new spine, and rebound the entire book for me. I remember the book being left in a vice in his workshop, and having to wait a few days before I could read it.

So thanks for the memory, mo'.

Edit: I do remember those books making very excessive use of the term "chum". Also, I'm agitated that I can't find a Google image of that 3-in-1 volume, which I remember as having a yellow cover.

Comment

I recently read Het Huis van de Moskee (Kader Abdolah, available translated in English as The House of the Mosque), and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Comment

I recently read Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery. I enjoyed it
          If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

Read it about 21 or 22 years ago, can't remember a ****************ing thing about it except for the following: I remember that I had a hard bound edition from the 50s or so that collected the first 3 HB novels, but the binding was virtually falling apart, and pages were loose. So my grandfather, who is one of those people who you can know all your life only to be shocked by displays of obscure skill sets, removed the binding, fashioned a new spine, and rebound the entire book for me. I remember the book being left in a vice in his workshop, and having to wait a few days before I could read it.

So thanks for the memory, mo'.

Edit: I do remember those books making very excessive use of the term "chum". Also, I'm agitated that I can't find a Google image of that 3-in-1 volume, which I remember as having a yellow cover.

..I actually still have the original 58 Grossett and Dunlap hardbacks. I was thinking of selling them just because they take a fair amount of space, but I can't actually bring myself to do it. They remind me of a time when I didn't have many books (and no library access as we were refugees, strange times...) and someone kindly gave me a copy of "What Happened At Midnight" and I read it over and over again..

Yes, "chum" is rather over-used and Bayport, despite sounding beautiful from the descriptions, must be the most crime ridden city in the USA.

It took me a long time to realise that Franklin W Dixon wasn't a person.

Some Tunes:

Comment

Originally Posted by Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love.

Comment

You are kidding, aren't you? You know they rewrote the stories about every 10 years or so--so which version of HOTC did you read? My brother had a set of them from the early 50's. By the time I was 10, 1965, the story in the bookstores was different. All I remember was them introducing a pretzel vender

Recently I finished John Schilling's "Undercover" which is how he revealed the biggest ripoff of Medicare by Columbia/HCA, the company owned by Sen. William Frist's family, and whose one-time CEO is Gov. Rick Scott of Florida. It sounds dull but it was a page turner to rival a John Gresham novel!

Comment

Brian McNaughton: The Throne of Bones

http://www.amazon.com/The-Throne-Bones-Brian-McNaughton/dp/1587151987

Beautiful writing.
                  Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

You are kidding, aren't you? You know they rewrote the stories about every 10 years or so--so which version of HOTC did you read? My brother had a set of them from the early 50's. By the time I was 10, 1965, the story in the bookstores was different. All I remember was them introducing a pretzel vender

Recently I finished John Schilling's "Undercover" which is how he revealed the biggest ripoff of Medicare by Columbia/HCA, the company owned by Sen. William Frist's family, and whose one-time CEO is Gov. Rick Scott of Florida. It sounds dull but it was a page turner to rival a John Gresham novel!

Yes, they certainly did rewrite them "The Flickering Torch Mystery" has two versions that are actually completely different stories. That's the most extreme rewrite IIRC. Most of the rest were rewritten to remove some of the racial stereotypes and for modernisation purposes. There were two different versions of "The House on The Cliff"..both the same story, but re-written, I have both, and the original 1927 version is the one I refer to as "the best". The rewrite is actually pretty good too though. The worst, by far, is "The Secret Agent on Flight 101" which is truly even for an 8 year old.

Some Tunes:

Comment

Yes, they certainly did rewrite them "The Flickering Torch Mystery" has two versions that are actually completely different stories. That's the most extreme rewrite IIRC. Most of the rest were rewritten to remove some of the racial stereotypes and for modernisation purposes. There were two different versions of "The House on The Cliff"..both the same story, but re-written, I have both, and the original 1927 version is the one I refer to as "the best". The rewrite is actually pretty good too though. The worst, by far, is "The Secret Agent on Flight 101" which is truly even for an 8 year old.

Yeah, the one we had was copyrighted 1927. I still remember one where they are 14 and 15 and have motorcycles and put 3 boys on one bike. Also where they use a 20's/30's era radio as a juke box at a party. But not much more. I don't think I read them once I turned 12. So...that's about 45 years....(where's the geezer smiley?)

Comment

http://books.google.com/books?id=7mRJfZP_e7IC&dq=isbn:1585444464
                        My Last FM
                        My Youtube page
                        BobNod # 11

Comment

I guess the best way to rep it would be saying it's similar to Something Wicked This Way Comes if it had intersected with Season of Mists.
                          -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I've said this before but **************** Musicians Friend in their stupid ****************ing faces.

Originally Posted by rickenvox

Realizing Ringo's talent is just a litmus test to identify musical idiots

Originally Posted by PFB

Ringo may have been the weakest link of the Beatles, but that's like being the worst president on Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

Gods Behaving Badly

The Peter Straub Blue Rose Series:
                            Koko
                            Mystery
                            The Throat
                            The Blue Rose
                            In The Night Room
                            (There might be another one)
                            www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Comment

Martin Amis - London Fields
                              It's not lying if what you say would be true if the facts were different.

Earl of the Experimental Theatre Futon

Comment

Working...
                              X