Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I spent the last 2 days living the life of an 1863 Union Army soldier- w/vid!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I spent the last 2 days living the life of an 1863 Union Army soldier- w/vid!

So I took a field trip with my 5th grade son's class to Angel Island in SF Bay were we spent 2 days at Camp Reynolds living the life of an 1863 Union Soldier. I must say it was an amazing experience and I can tell you that the single most important technological advancement in the history of society is running water! Anyway here's a link to my youtube video page where there are many, many videos if you care to check any of them out! http://www.youtube.com/user/GreatWhiteSnake64/videos

The Union Army was stationed there because obviously gold had been discovered here about 15 years earlier and they were shipping 50 million a year in gold out of SF Bay, around the tip of South America to Washington to support the war effort and were afraid the rebels might come into SF Bay to hijack the gold. The kids favorite thing was "hit the deck" which they did every time a boat passed the fort. Unfortunately I didn't get that on vid....all in all a priceless experience. My son was devastated when it was over...

That's sounds like terrific fun. I'd love a go at that.
    Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

Recommended. I hope you someday get a chance to do something similar...

Comment

Don't they do Roundheads vs. Cavalier re-enactments over there somewhere?

Comment

Don't they do Roundheads vs. Cavalier re-enactments over there somewhere?

They do. There's a huge community of people who do that Civil War re-enaction. The Sealed Knot is one large group:

http://www.thesealedknot.org.uk/
          Originally Posted by Calum

Is she cuddling a dirty swan?

Originally Posted by vikingrat

The world doesn't need a new generation of hippies.

Comment

They do. There's a huge community of people who do that Civil War re-enaction. The Sealed Knot is one large group:

http://www.thesealedknot.org.uk/

Right. I remember seeing a bit of it on the BBC in 1990 or so.

Comment

I wanna do that and go to a Renaissance fair before I die

Comment

Well since everyone is either too lazy or not interested enough to watch any of the video here's one that give you a good overview of Camp Reynolds and a bit of the feel of it. If you want to see Mav in his Civil War getup it's at about 3:48 and you'll even get to hear Sgt. Paley give a few orders!

Comment

Working...
                X