Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's kinda crazy how popular and common Jags/JM/assorted offsets have become

I remember first becoming interested in Jags and Jazzmasters in the late 90s, there were, IIRC, vintage ones (which generally started in the $1500 range, again IIRC) and then there were the MIJ deals from the early/mid 90s, which went for around $500-800.The latter were pretty hit and miss, and a lot of people (including me, for mine) ended up replacing quite a bit of electronics and hardware.

It seemed like affordable, decent copies started appearing more commonly in the mid 2000s, but most were more "inspired by" that anything else. I believe it was around the same time the cool-but-expensive MIA Jags/JMs came out.

Now, what the ****************?! It's like Fender is going crazy with the offsets. I'm really happy about, don't get me wrong- it''s just funny. In 1998 getting your hands on something like a MIJ Jag and learning about the care and feeding and all was a big deal. Now it's sure a different game.

It's pretty awesome. I'm just waiting for them to finally discontinue the Strat.
    DJANGO!

Originally Posted by jjpistols

Try telling anyone here that they aren't a genuine bluesman, many will argue and call you names. Trust me. Then they tear apart their cubicles and smash their smartphones and just cant get any blues done at all.

Originally Posted by Motorik

That's a negative, Ghostrider. Surf was not the lowering of standards, surf was the last point before standards got lowered. Surf exemplified the optimism and wholesomeness of American youth, before they got corrupted by longhair, dope, and the communist Beatles.

Comment

It's pretty awesome. I'm just waiting for them to finally discontinue the Strat.

Hey, question: what do you think is the best currently made replacement bridge for a Jag? I need to give mine a makeover... I don't remember what the exact deal with my bridge is but I think maybe it was an allparts Mustang-ish thing. It works all right but still has some issues with losing it's height adjustment and string "pop-outs" occasionally. (the latter not too often, but I use 12s and I'm not a basher, so I feel like it shouldn't happen at all) I'm just curious if there's any new-fangled stuff that might work better since I think I got this one around 2007.

Comment

Just bought a cheapie Xaviere JM copy off of SadNav a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it.
        Originally Posted by danuniversal

So, you give more importance to a few minutes of sex than to hours of delight coexisting with her, watching her, dreaming with her, playing with her, loving her...

Comment

Hey, question: what do you think is the best currently made replacement bridge for a Jag? I need to give mine a makeover... I don't remember what the exact deal with my bridge is but I think maybe it was an allparts Mustang-ish thing. It works all right but still has some issues with losing it's height adjustment and string "pop-outs" occasionally. (the latter not too often, but I use 12s and I'm not a basher, so I feel like it shouldn't happen at all) I'm just curious if there's any new-fangled stuff that might work better since I think I got this one around 2007.

Hmm, lots of people love the mastery, but there's no way I'd spend that much on a bridge.

I believe there are two sorts of "standard" mustang bridges you can buy - one that has the saddles with no gaps between them and deeper string slots, and another with gaps/shallower string slots. Maybe the latter is the Allparts version, and the former is from Fender? I have the former, it works very well. It's never had the problem of losing height. But you can put clear nail polish or threadlock in the height adjustment holes to stop it from moving on its own.

One thing you can do though with your existing bridge is get set of welding torch tip cleaners. They're only $5. You can use them to make the slots deeper. It's quick and easy and works well on any kind of bridge. I also use them for widening nut slots.

DJANGO!

Originally Posted by jjpistols

Try telling anyone here that they aren't a genuine bluesman, many will argue and call you names. Trust me. Then they tear apart their cubicles and smash their smartphones and just cant get any blues done at all.

Originally Posted by Motorik

That's a negative, Ghostrider. Surf was not the lowering of standards, surf was the last point before standards got lowered. Surf exemplified the optimism and wholesomeness of American youth, before they got corrupted by longhair, dope, and the communist Beatles.

Comment

Hmm, lots of people love the mastery, but there's no way I'd spend that much on a bridge.

I believe there are two sorts of "standard" mustang bridges you can buy - one that has the saddles with no gaps between them and deeper string slots, and another with gaps/shallower string slots. Maybe the latter is the Allparts version, and the former is from Fender? I have the former, it works very well. It's never had the problem of losing height. But you can put clear nail polish or threadlock in the height adjustment holes to stop it from moving on its own.

One thing you can do though with your existing bridge is get set of welding torch tip cleaners. They're only $5. You can use them to make the slots deeper. It's quick and easy and works well on any kind of bridge. I also use them for widening nut slots.

Ace, thanks!

The mastery is intriuging, but yeah, that's pricey!

Comment

FMIC has been pushing every variation of the Strat and then the Tele for so long, that it was only a matter of time before they moved on to their other models.
              The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

I bought my Jazz in the late 70s when they were worthless. I went to buy a strat but the Jazz with blocks was prettier. $175 and plenty money left over for partying.

Comment

Is it a Cobain-related thing?

Comment

The Jazzmaster caught my eye way before a strat ever did.

Dont own one right but but always looking for a deal again.
                    HC GREAT WHITE OUT SURVIVOR 2012 , RIP those that didnt make it.

Rutles meet them , know them , love them , touch them
                    http://www.rutles.org/rstory.html
                    QUOTE=midnightlaundry Your ****************************, no help reply is exactly why I hate this board.
                    Suspicion Breeds Confidence

Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

Watch out, there are some terribly bothersome trolls around here.

Comment

I think the popularity of the Jazzmaster in particular owes to a certain fatigue with the Strat and its best-known exponents. Plenty of alt-culture figures used Strats heavily--David Byrne comes to mind immediately--but among guys starting bands today, I'm guessing that Kevin Shields and Thurston Moore are much more relevant than Hendrix or David Gilmour. Why would you want to play a guitar that sounds exactly like the same tired-ass Dire Straits or Steve Miller songs you hear five billion times a day on classic rock radio?
                      Giant KudzuFacebook • SoundCloud"I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I dominate."

Comment

Weird impo to see the tons of new variations/signature/budget fender offset models a couple decades after the heyday of 'grunge'.

Maybe the fender marketeers figured that back then, thier target demographic couldn't afford that Cobain Jag and Lee/Thurston Jazzmaster, and that they can shake more money out of our pockets now that we're employed and filthy rich.

I'll just celebrate my '90s nostalgia with budget/diy jazzmasters and jags, I had more guitar money to spend fifteen years ago than I do now

Comment

FMIC has been pushing every variation of the Strat and then the Tele for so long, that it was only a matter of time before they moved on to their other models.

Can you ask FMIC to mass-produce this but a tele/strat/P90 PU configuration?

Comment

Can you ask FMIC to mass-produce this but a tele/strat/P90 PU configuration?

build one from Warmoth instead.
                            The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Maybe Fender will even reissue the Starcaster at some point?

"Me and a book is a party. Me and a book and a cup of coffee is an orgy."
                              - Robert Fripp

Comment

Working...
                              X