Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild story about a club that I used to play

I used to play this club, The Steamboat, at least once a week from '95 until it's closing in '99. I was there as all this was going down and the clubs owner just put this on his Facebook. The clubs closing was really the beginning of the end for live music in Austin. It's still better than most towns, but it really is a shadow of what it used to be.

I have never told the real story of why Steamboat was kicked off 6th Street and the problem I had trying to open up another live music venue. Well here it is.

In 1998 a man(Parish Patel) came to me and asked me to sell him Steamboat. He said he was with a group of investors who was going to change 6th. street and he wanted Steamboat to be part of their change. Live music venues, shot bars and restaurants were going to be owned by them in a big way. I said I wasn't interested and Steamboat wasn't for sale. I had almost two years left on my lease and I was trying to buy the building. A couple of weeks later we had a problem with this kid and as we were throwing him out he said you don't know who I am. I will own this place soon and you will be on the street. I had heard drunks threaten me before so it went in one ear and out the other. Didn't think of it again.

A little while later a club named the Metro opened down the street and it was owned by Parish Patel. He tried going after the Steamboat bands thinking if you paid them more they would jump ship. Well a few did but the majority was loyal and staid and that pissed him off. He would come by every now and then and threaten me and I would laugh. By June of 1999 I had finally got the money to buy the building. Richard Weiss, now an architect, used to be in a band named Mr. Rocket Baby was going to buy the building and we were going to be partners in it and Steamboat in some way or another. So I called Saxon Fox and asked to meet and I was going to tell her I had the money. Before I could get it out of my mouth she told me I had three months to vacate the building. After Steamboat being there 23 years I had three months. I was floored. I looked for a place to move but didn't have enough time so we put on some final shows and prepared to move off 6th. street. After the last night of Steamboat I packed my suburban up with my sons band PigGie Hat and we went to Portland for them to play in NXNW.

When we came back Adam Stockstill one of my employees said as they were packing up all Steamboat's stuff Parish keep coming by making comments about how it was he who caused this and that to leave the extra liquor and stuff it all belonged to them now. Bob Schneider had made a chalk outline on the floor and wrote 6th street is dead and a few other choice things on the floor and the walls for Joe Rockhead
    http://www.reverbnation.com/christondre

...the tone sounded like the back of my ass on taco tuesday.

Originally Posted by Flamencology

When life gives you lemons, disrespect them with tongs.

Last edited by Dimetapp drinke; Today at 04:28 PM. Reason: Because vikingrat and gtrwiz, among other notables such as dmn23 and noisebloom, take ROCK and ROLL seriously!

"I killed him cut off his head and threw his body in the foundation of the H.E.B. in Buda."

Far out.

I lived down there and to this day I find myself turning that name over in my head. Byooooduh.
    Originally Posted by Crab_Cake

That said I cannot stand animal cruelty, especially against friends of humanity. These include horses, dogs, chimps, and to a lesser extent dolphins.

Great band.

Originally Posted by sonik

little african girl machete gang victims

Everybody Hates Miserycast

Comment

With those ridiculous names, I'd be surprised if half of this were true. But maybe.

Mohammed Walla Walla?

Comment

With those ridiculous names, I'd be surprised if half of this were true. But maybe.

Mohammed Walla Walla?

From Durka-Durkastan.
        CONTAINS TRACE AMOUNTS OF ROCK AND COUNTRY. South Bound LaneHC 3.0 -- Making you miss HC 2.0

Comment

Mohammed Walla Walla?

Dude, I was there. I have met most of these people.

Last edited by Dimetapp drinke; Today at 04:28 PM. Reason: Because vikingrat and gtrwiz, among other notables such as dmn23 and noisebloom, take ROCK and ROLL seriously!

Comment

My roommate works at that HEB!
            http://simplehomerecording.com

Comment

My roommate works at that HEB!

heh, awesome!

Comment

This some ol' gangsta ****************
                Originally Posted by rhino55

hi.flyer is to banjo as gennation is to fat whores

Comment

drug money laundering by financing nightclubs in a Texas college town?

hard to believe...
                  "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Wow...
                    Originally Posted by Motorik

[Prog rockers are] all babes. It's like the Miss World contest, but with sudden changes of time-signature.

Comment

Two bob ****************house gangsters everywhere are drawn to nightclubs.

You wouldn't believe the humourless, psychotic ****************ing monsters I used to deal with when I was DJing.
                      Fast, clean and cheap.

Comment

Haha, good ol' Bob Schneider. "6th Street is dead."
                        Be love. Be gratitude.

Comment

Crazy. I wonder if this is the same stuff that became of some of The Viper room owners that "dissapeared".
                          Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

Yet another interesting twist...

http://www.kutnews.org/post/reports-yassine-enterprises-funds-channeled-hezbollah

Comment

• Working...
                              X