Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Due to our limitations in travel range, I'd sooner expect them to find us than us to find them. We've been generating millions of "beacons" with radio/tv/satellite transmissions for a long time. Those don't just fade out.

you clearly underestimate the vastness of the universe. Even though we have been sending out transmissions, the chances of one of the them being picked up are infinitely small
    If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

even if it's just a tiny micro-organism, will be found within your lifetime?

Originally Posted by Tom Fucherheigen

He is an adult now, but he is a child in the trousers.

Originally Posted by clay sails

This is essentially the same as married life, except that when you get married you share space with someone who washes your cum socks.

Comment

you clearly underestimate the vastness of the universe. Even though we have been sending out transmissions, the chances of one of the them being picked up are infinitely small

Blasting transmissions straight out in every direction. How could that not eventually be picked up by someone if they're out there?
        up in this B.

Originally Posted by CharvelFan, Stackabones, Mercer, jamesp, jelloman and Sad Navigator

Sutto is the man!, I look forward to Sutto's future work., Sutto. . . you're awesome, Sutto is correct., I think Sutto's right again, Sutto speaks the truth...I'mma do something crazy and agree with Sutto.

Comment

Blasting transmissions straight out in every direction. How could that not eventually be picked up by someone if they're out there?

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face...forever

Comment

I take a Sagan-like approach in believing that there is not sufficient evidence in my view to make any judgment one way or another.
            Originally Posted by Motorik

[Prog rockers are] all babes. It's like the Miss World contest, but with sudden changes of time-signature.

Comment

Explain please.
              up in this B.

Originally Posted by CharvelFan, Stackabones, Mercer, jamesp, jelloman and Sad Navigator

Sutto is the man!, I look forward to Sutto's future work., Sutto. . . you're awesome, Sutto is correct., I think Sutto's right again, Sutto speaks the truth...I'mma do something crazy and agree with Sutto.

Comment

Explain please.

Space is really, really big and our radio signals are very, very weak. First one would have to be listening for them when they arrive, and look at how much our own broadcasting has changed over the last decades. Much more internet, sat comm, and cable, and much less giant broadcast tower activities. One could argue our radio signal era might only last for a few hundred more years. So, this adds a temporal restriction of perhaps a few hundred years where an intelligent life form might even think to look for radio broadcasts, and a few hundred years where we might be broadcasting. So, timing is also a big factor.

This gives a layman's explanation of what might have heard out signals out there, assuming they were listening. It is pretty bleak.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/content/latest-questions/question/1575/

Comment

My money is on bacteria exsiting (having existed) on Mars, and a rover finding it within our lifetime. Just pure speculation.
                  Originally Posted by Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love.

Comment

Yes. I have no doubt that most terrestrial orbiting bodies in our solar system have been seeded with microorganisms; I wouldn't be completely surprised if some or all of the gas planets have been seeded as well. I think only a few more missions to Mars or other terrestrial bodies will turn up credible evidence.
                    Originally Posted by kmacc45

I appreciate your concern stringjunk, but I'm in a stress releive program now.
                    Between my lawn service and fast driving, I think this issue is being address.

Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

**************** the lot of you.

Originally Posted by jaxn slim

Dude! I think your lung made me gay! WTF?

Comment

The European Space Agency has a mission to Callisto, Europa and Ganymede. Each are thought to have vast oceans deep under the ice. But its only going to have a look, not land and it won't set off till 2022 and won't get there till 2030 ... i'll be 60 by then.

So, if i'm still around at 60 then perhaps the best i'll get is being told 'yes, its possible there's life on one of them' ... which is really rather disappointing. I was hoping for at least a mission to land on one and confirm one way or another before i die.

Doesn't look like a human will set foot on Mars for a very long time either. Given the difficulty and cost of going. I really would love to see it happen though.

I guess we'll just have to hope for an alien invasion ... that would liven things up a bit.

Comment

I don't expect any definitive proof one way or the other in my lifetime, if ever.

Comment

no
                          check out my stuff http://youtu.be/Buya2j06WwURead your Bible, son. Genesis 6:6, Isiah 55:8, John 14:6

Comment

Yes. I have no doubt that most terrestrial orbiting bodies in our solar system have been seeded with microorganisms; I wouldn't be completely surprised if some or all of the gas planets have been seeded as well. I think only a few more missions to Mars or other terrestrial bodies will turn up credible evidence.

New analysis of 36-year-old data, resuscitated from printouts, shows that NASA found life on Mars, an international team of mathematicians and scientists conclude in a paper published this week.

Further, NASA doesn't need a human expedition to Mars to nail down the claim, neuropharmacologist and biologist Joseph Miller, with the University of Southern California's Keck School of Medicine, told Discovery News.

"The ultimate proof is to take a video of a Martian bacteria. They should send a microscope

Comment

From a mathematical perspective, I can only argue that it's out there somewhere, but the odds of finding it in our solar system (which will be the limit of our travel in my lifetime, probably) seem pretty long. Who knows, Mars and Europa are looking like possibilities.

I'd like for it to happen, not least just to see the ****************-storm.

I question your mathematics (why are the probabilities related?), but I agree that the odds seem pretty long.
                              Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I hope so...but for now it's like dipping a cup in the ocean. We know there are sea creatures but the likelyhood of finding them with a cup is not as likely
                                Jason

Comment

Working...
                                X