Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for the Beatles experts here (bass content)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the Beatles experts here (bass content)

At around 34 seconds, part of Taxman plays. I don't remember the bassline being that complicated. Is this some rare version or have I been hearing it wrong all these years?
    Originally Posted by danuniversal

So, you give more importance to a few minutes of sex than to hours of delight coexisting with her, watching her, dreaming with her, playing with her, loving her...

Sounds right to me. It isn't that complicated the entire song, but he gets a little tricky in that part.
    We were just trying to write songs about prostitutes and lesbians, that's all. - Paul McCartney

Comment

It's just for that one part of the song, he doens't do that lick the whole time. He might have been messing around and they decided to leave it in. From what i've read, a lot of stuff in beatles recordings was just john and paul messing around on the mic and it ended up sounding cool so they left it in the song, or added it to the song. It must have been great being at the top of the world and being able to literally do whatever you wanted in the studio
      "Don't bother about being modern. Unfortunately it is the one thing that, whatever you do, you cannot avoid"

- Salvador Dali -

"I was trying to do too many things at the same time, which is my nature. But I was enjoying it, and I still do enjoy it."

- Jimi Hendrix -

Comment

Huh, cool, never noticed it before.

I just started this. Excellent read for any Beatles fan.

So, you give more importance to a few minutes of sex than to hours of delight coexisting with her, watching her, dreaming with her, playing with her, loving her...

Comment

^^
          That's a really good book. Paul is a killer bass player, pretty much as good as it gets.
          Originally Posted by Jimmy James

You're the British SAS of Metal.

Originally Posted by Phlat Phive

You're a man of refined taste and strong opinions.

Originally Posted by goodusername

Mosiddiqi is a prick, btw.

Some Tunes:

http://www.box.net/shared/zbo8hrncu2
          http://www.box.net/shared/dnlnkn3g44
          http://www.box.net/shared/th4tv5noyi

Comment

Yea he was nasty on the bass...while singing, too!

Music theory dorks: check this out... http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-notes_on.shtml
            Originally Posted by rhino55

hi.flyer is to banjo as gennation is to fat whores

Comment

Yea he was nasty on the bass...while singing, too!

Music theory dorks: check this out... http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-notes_on.shtml

I love that Allan Pollock stuff
              Originally Posted by Jimmy James

You're the British SAS of Metal.

Originally Posted by Phlat Phive

You're a man of refined taste and strong opinions.

Originally Posted by goodusername

Mosiddiqi is a prick, btw.

Some Tunes:

http://www.box.net/shared/zbo8hrncu2
              http://www.box.net/shared/dnlnkn3g44
              http://www.box.net/shared/th4tv5noyi

Comment

Huh, cool, never noticed it before.

I just started this. Excellent read for any Beatles fan.

It's quite possible that Geoff Emerick doesn't get near the credit he deserves. The same could be said about George Martin too though, but it seems like Geoff usually only comes up in discussions of Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. He helped turn the methods used in the recording studio on its head, at a very young age!
                "Don't bother about being modern. Unfortunately it is the one thing that, whatever you do, you cannot avoid"

- Salvador Dali -

"I was trying to do too many things at the same time, which is my nature. But I was enjoying it, and I still do enjoy it."

- Jimi Hendrix -

Comment

^^
                  That's a really good book. Paul is a killer bass player, pretty much as good as it gets.

"The Beatles" by Bob Spitz is also a good read; I say also not having read "Here, There, and Everywhere," but I may have to go pick it up!

- Salvador Dali -

- Jimi Hendrix -

Comment

Did you know that George played the bass parts on a Fender Bass VI and that Paul played the lead guitar parts?

Comment

Paul was the man. List is flawed, though... No Paperback Writer

I'm Brian of Nazareth

Comment

Did you know that George played the bass parts on a Fender Bass VI and that Paul played the lead guitar parts?

I think that when it came to some of the later recordings, Paul was playing most of the instruments, after the other members had already recorded something. Paul did play a lot of guitar solos on some of the post 1965 recordings. Poor George, didn't have a chance until after the Beatles disbanded.

- Salvador Dali -

- Jimi Hendrix -

Comment

Never knew about George on the bass. I knew Paul played the guitar solo. He was good at that pseudo-eastern thing, like the solo for "Good Morning Good Morning".

Comment

Never knew about George on the bass. I knew Paul played the guitar solo. He was good at that pseudo-eastern thing, like the solo for "Good Morning Good Morning".

Paul was by far the best musician in the band.
                            Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Paul was by far the best musician in the band.
                              What's interesting is that it wasn't just an objectively technical thing; his fingerpicking, electric playing (solos), bass playing and piano parts are ALL pretty unconventional. It's really, really hard to imitate Paul's style accurately, there's a bounce and rhythm to his playing that I just can't get down pat, and I see my band's bassist have trouble with his parts every week too. Truly an awesome musical 'thinker'.

Comment

Working...
                              X