Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like this guitar and is it worth $450?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like this guitar and is it worth $450?

1980 Gibson Sonex-180 Deluxe, (front), (headstock), (back), (electronics). Another one of Gibson's "innovative" models from the Norlin years. The Sonex, which came in 4 models (Deluxe, Standard, Custom and Artist) at various times during their 4-year run, featured a bolt-on neck, which was very unusual for Gibson. The main innovation from this guitar was the "Multi-Phonic" body, which consisted of a wood core (usually mahogany), with a man-made resin outer layer. In this fashion you still had the wood-wood contact in the neck pocket, but with a resin body that was inexpensive to make and more impervious to climate change. The Sonex was replaced by Marauder and S-1 models bolt-on models, although made of an all-wood body. The Deluxe model retailed for $419 when the line was discontinued in '84 after a 4-year run. Features include a pair of Gibson "Velvet Brick" humbuckers, maple neck with 22 medium frets, ABR-1 tuneomatic bridge, large pickguard (covers 3/4 of body face), rosewood fretboard, Grover tuners with metal Keystone buttons and "The Gibson Guitar Company" logo. Cosmetically this one is in typical condition for a Sonex with scratches and scrapes in the resin core as well as the typical cracks in the resin core (not a problem, just the nature of the beast). It has had a strap button relocated to the back near the neck plate. It has a very comfortable setup and a good quality tone from a pair of nice sounding humbuckers. A good value in an old USA guitar at $450.
    www.kingsofthedrink.com

Originally Posted by Prages

I think everyone in the world has been lonely at some point in their life...and most of them could have probably written a more betterest song about it.

Originally Posted by tiger roach

Once my mom told me not to go outside because there was a bird fight going on. I thought, "Bird fight, WTF? She can't really think I would fall for that crap." So I went outside anyway and a bird pecked me on the head.

Originally Posted by gennation

Negatory, even dressed as a man I'm more of a man than you.

Don't really have an opinion on it. Sorta cool, sorta not. Might be worth $450.

Might be worth it just so you can tell people "Oh, and these pickups? They're VELVET BRICKS!"

Comment

No, and no.
      Brian

"it aint nothin' but a jam"
      -Jimi Hendrix 10-10-68

Comment

Can't decide, and maybe (I have no idea). I don't love it, but not so sure I'd kick it out of bed either. Even if one doesn't like these plank-like Gibsons, they're great blunt instruments to wield against a zombie onslaught so in the right context I might prefer to have this guitar.

Comment

only because of the jimmy bower association.

otherwise it's a pretty meh guitar

Comment

I had a Gibson Invader for a while and they're nearly identical:

It wasn't a terrible guitar. Matter of fact it sounded good and played pretty well. I just hated the stock Kahler on mine. I'd probably pay $400 but no more than that.
            Originally Posted by Jimmy James

Dmn23 is the douche around here.

Originally Posted by Uma Floresta

dmn23 has wisdom.

Originally Posted by surfsteve

dmn23 is a GREAT AMERICAN. WTF is wrong with you ********************************s ?

Originally Posted by Flogger59

You, sir, are a man of impeccable taste and discernment

Comment

I played around on a few Sonexes back in the day and they are kinda unique. I don't think that's a crazy price for one, but they are made of a very odd material.

I used to have a '76 Gibson Marauder and I really dug that guitar. Wish I still had it.
              I don't want to sell my music. I'd like to give it away because where I got it, you didn't have to pay for it.
              -Captain Beefheart (Don Van Vliet)

Comment

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
                CONTAINS TRACE AMOUNTS OF ROCK AND COUNTRY. South Bound LaneHC 3.0 -- Making you miss HC 2.0

Comment

Yes, but only because my HS music dept. had one that I used to play regularly, so it's a nostalgia thing.
                  Probably more like $400 even.
                  My MYSPACE Page

My Soundclick Page

My YouTube Stuff

Comment

Yes and I don't know.
                    "You ill mannered sack of ****************e."

Kylie Minogue

Comment

No and I don't know.

Comment

Yes absolutely and I think so.
                        'Mama, just nearly killed a man, put a gun against his head, changed my mind and went to bed'.

Comment

no, no.
                          The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

I kind of like it,maybe
                            There's nothing to see here.Move along.

Comment

I actually fell asleep looking at the picture....
                              HCGB #289
                              God FAQ

http://www.soundclick.com/g33k

Comment

Working...
                              X