Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a new salt?

I've already got Morton Kosher salt, coarse sea salt, Fleur de sel, pink sea salt, black sea salt, Morton sea salt in a grinder, and the normal blended sort of salts.

I also have high-blood pressure. So I want the best bang-for-the-sodium salt.

What do you think?

I think you have too many types of salt.
    Shotgun Royale

last.fm

Comment

Frankly, this anti sodium stuff that's been running wild is, in a word, bull****************. Salt, sodium, whatever you want to call it, won't affect you one way or the other. A single survey in a pond full of surveys was jumped on by the FDA, for what end, to create new sub-industries.

So ingest all the ****************in salt you want man.

I didn't see Himalayan salt or smoked salt on your list. Get on those. Also, bacon salt. It ain't bad.

Comment

Frankly, this anti sodium stuff that's been running wild is, in a word, bull****************. Salt, sodium, whatever you want to call it, won't affect you one way or the other. A single survey in a pond full of surveys was jumped on by the FDA, for what end, to create new sub-industries.

So ingest all the ****************in salt you want man.

You've made statements like these numerous times. They are simply incorrect. You need salt to live, but consuming too much poses serious health risks and can lead to any number of problems.

Granted, all bodies are different; we all know obese folks, smokers, alcoholics, etc., who live into their 90s.

I will say that it's a non-issue for those who avoid frozen or processed foods and who eat fresh, but that's simply not a majority lifestyle.

As for the OP...

http://www.napastyle.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1582

Comment

It's a parody thread. I salt only as much as is needed for taste. And I have various salts on the table for guests who like more salt.

I do actually have high blood pressure - it runs in my family.

I take my meds- unlike my mother who didn't and loved salt and over-salted everything she ate.

She died at my age (52) of a massive stroke. She also smoked heavily.

That's why I don't use much salt or ever smoke now.

Comment

I'm not saying that ingesting 10 tablespoons of salt a day is good for you, i'm saying that the general food pyramid guidelines for sodium are off base, as are the scare tactics perpetrated by doctors, dieticians and food labels. Sure, it has an effect, as any food and nutrition does, but the "any level of sodium other than minute amounts" is BS.

That said, salt food the way you enjoy it.

Personally, I believe in cooking with salt/enhancing prepared food with salt 100%. I never salt my own food with the shaker, because more likely than not, it's done so by others or myself. It's great as an ingredient, less so as a condiment.

Comment

Also, calls sodium moderation "bull****************" but "keeps an open mind" about any number of rather incredulous theories might be some sort of disconnect.

I'm an astrologer, for ****************'s sake, and you are way beyond the credulity barrier for me.

Comment

My mother did that. She died of a massive stroke at age 52.

Would you be a proponent of smoking crack the way you enjoy it?

Comment

I'm not saying that ingesting 10 tablespoons of salt a day is good for you, i'm saying that the general food pyramid guidelines for sodium are off base, as are the scare tactics perpetrated by doctors, dieticians and food labels. Sure, it has an effect, as any food and nutrition does, but the "any level of sodium other than minute amounts" is BS.

Personally, I believe in cooking with salt/enhancing prepared food with salt 100%. I never salt my own food with the shaker, because more likely than not, it's done so by others or myself. It's great as an ingredient, less so as a condiment.

Who is saying "minimize salt intake", though, except in cases of those with hypertension? That's a strawman.

I cook with salt, too... but when you're not cooking and are dealing with processed foods instead, then you're also ingesting a load of salt that you can't even taste. And that's where the problem lies.

Comment

It's very rare that I will ever add salt to a finished dish. Especially before tasting.

I know people - relatives even - who will douse anything with salt before even having a taste.

I want to slap them.

Sometimes, I won't even put salt on the table for that reason.

I NEVER will put salt on any food at any restaurant. It's an insult to the chef.

Comment

Also, calls sodium moderation "bull****************" but "keeps an open mind" about any number of rather incredulous theories might be some sort of disconnect.

I'm an astrologer, for ****************'s sake, and you are way beyond the credulity barrier for me.

Look, everyone knows i'm an insane, lunatic fringe forumite that everyone else disagrees with. I just lack logic! I believe in this, but not in that. In that, but not this, always against the grain, the norm, the common sense. The majority of my posts are obviously to be ignored. I think I'm a good enough guy, but hell, what's the point if i'm not appreciated. I guess it's good argument fodder for the more enlightened.

Honestly, I'm a buffoon. To say the very least. I don't know why I even bother posing, really. I think more of myself than is reality, I suppose that has alot to do with it. Poor social life doesn't help either.

I have no doctorates. I have no BA. I have a AA in a BS field. I live at home at an age when I shouldn't. Dead end job. Certainly no musical talent. I spend too much time on the internet, reading ridiculous things, and sometimes, as in this case, taking them with a grain of salt even after research and consideration, and still being a grain short (pun intended).

Sorry for messing with this parody thread. Smoked salt is pretty good though. But don't overdo it.

Comment

Look, everyone knows i'm an insane, lunatic fringe forumite that everyone else disagrees with. I just lack logic! I believe in this, but not in that. In that, but not this, always against the grain, the norm, the common sense. The majority of my posts are obviously to be ignored. I think I'm a good enough guy, but hell, what's the point if i'm not appreciated. I guess it's good argument fodder for the more enlightened.

Honestly, I'm a buffoon. To say the very least. I don't know why I even bother posing, really. I think more of myself than is reality, I suppose that has alot to do with it. Poor social life doesn't help either.

I have no doctorates. I have no BA. I have a AA in a BS field. I live at home at an age when I shouldn't. Dead end job. Certainly no musical talent. I spend too much time on the internet, reading ridiculous things, and sometimes, as in this case, taking them with a grain of salt even after research and consideration, and still being a grain short (pun intended).

Sorry for messing with this parody thread. Smoked salt is pretty good though. But don't overdo it.

You also have a persecution complex.

Comment

You also have a persecution complex.

This is what happens when you drop acid and post on HCGJ.

Comment

Maldon sea salt. **************** is so cash.
                            It's not lying if what you say would be true if the facts were different.

Earl of the Experimental Theatre Futon

Comment

This is what happens when you drop acid and post on HCGJ.

Banning happens when you drop acid? wow. that's an interesting side effect.
                              The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Working...
                              X